• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dumbest question ever.
3 3

32 posts in this topic

I gave a slab I had from some other grading company and did the twist and crack.   Upon further inspection, I found an unusual amount of spine damage not there before. 

There is a possibility of said company causing this because this was sent to them in a case. 

Cracking the slab will not cause a spine tick (edit: in case you use a ridiculous method like twisting the case, which is 100% unnecessary and harmful).

Taking the inner well out of the holder can cause a spine tick if one is not careful, but it is pretty unlikely. 

Taking the book out of the inner well can absolutely cause a spine tick if the person doing so is careless. Since there is nothing protecting the book, and the inner well is tough plastic, the person taking it out has to take care to pull it straight out. If you move it up or down as you pull it out you will cause damage to the book. This is easy to avoid with a tiny amount of caution, but I am pointing it out as a possibility. 

Edited by Stefan_W

On 7/18/2024 at 8:25 PM, Stefan_W said:

Cracking the slab will not cause a spine tick.

Taking the inner well out of the holder can cause a spine tick if one is not careful, but it is pretty unlikely. 

Taking the book out of the inner well can absolutely cause a spine tick if the person doing so is careless. Since there is nothing protecting the book, and the inner well is tough plastic, the person taking it out has to take care to pull it straight out. If you move it up or down as you pull it out you will cause damage to the book. This is easy to avoid with a tiny amount of caution, but I am pointing it out as a possibility. 

I felt like I was pretty careful but maybe just distraught enough to be careless with it. 

I bought another one since it was a big key book but for the future; just let the pros do it. 

On 7/18/2024 at 6:26 PM, Ninja0215 said:

And that is how I did it...oof

Well I was mostly joking. When this video came out a couple years ago everyone was a bit shocked. I think the video was quickly deleted but I made a gif out of it. I've always just pried it opened with my fingers.

On 7/18/2024 at 8:28 PM, grendelbo said:

Well I was mostly joking. When this video came out a couple years ago everyone was a bit shocked. I think the video was quickly deleted but I made a gif out of it. I've always just pried it opened with my fingers.

I just use a flat head screwdriver, wedge it into a gap, and turn it until the seals break. For the new cases I put the tip of the screwdriver against a seal and tap lightly with a hammer until it goes in about an inch or so, and then twist as usual. 

On 7/18/2024 at 8:31 PM, Stefan_W said:

I just use a flat head screwdriver, wedge it into a gap, and turn it until the seals break. For the new cases I put the tip of the screwdriver against a seal and tap lightly with a hammer until it goes in about an inch or so, and then twist as usual. 

Thats very helpful,  ty! 

New generation cases are quite tough.  AND sealed on nearly every side.  I smashed the label corner (farthest corner away from the book) with a hammer in order to get a wedge into the edge and pop the rest.  The inside case can be tricky too.  Industrial scissors can work or an exacto knife (if you use guides and don't slip).

I just wasn't sure who I should be pointing the finger at; the company or myself. 

For the time being, I'm blaming myself but thats the last time I'll send books to these people. 

On 7/18/2024 at 6:28 PM, CGC Mike said:

Just so you know, we have an out of context member quotes thread.  :gossip:  Also, there's a chance that quotes end up being a custom title.  :eek:

I approve. 

On 7/18/2024 at 7:28 PM, grendelbo said:

I love that gif! Ive got it saved on my desktop :)