• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My annual OSPG adventure

9 posts in this topic

Since I'm nostalgic, the OSPG has always been an annual tradition since 1979 (except from 1984 to 1993). Got mine on Thursday and already going through my collection via my Excel spreadsheet. Back in the late 70's and early 80's, I had a big Mead binder where I erased the previous years penciled values... lol

Always fun for me. I tend to wonder why I have certain series/issues, especially ones that don't change or have any value. (But, one day, there could be first appearance... lol) 

Haven't read any of the articles yet. I like some of the Advisors/Collectors comments but some are just a constant rehash. Looks like some price corrections are in the Guide this year.

I have been an Overstreet fan since the early 80's when an LCS owner said to me...

"Overstreet is the bible of the industry", I still remember being at shows before grading companies and the internet where everyone had their copy of Overstreet in hand.

I also loved the articles from the shops across the country and the pics of the books I had never seen before, all of those things are just fond memories now.

On 7/27/2024 at 2:58 PM, Shadow said:

For long-timers, anyone ever bought a random book because you remembered Overstreet put a picture of it in the book on the particular page it was priced on? I know I have and then think that, somewhere, my memory jogged me that I knew this book. lol

587331.jpg

One of two ECs I picked up on my first visit to Forbidden Planet in London.

On the tiny Overstreet image it was impossible to see the more gruesome aspect of Wood’s art.

I too have my collection in Excel, and revise values each year when OSPG comes out.  I sort the table by dollar value, and start inputting the new values of comics starting with the most expensive.  As some point I hit a wall where values aren’t changing enough to make it worthwhile to continue, and I stop there.  I will try to post old and new values for my top books once I get the time.

On 7/28/2024 at 1:28 AM, Dave2739 said:

Another excuse to post a pic of my price guides! My local shop has the Kaluta Shadow cover waiting for me.

image.thumb.jpeg.841083dfe6ebe2ea7c40b5b5d4a91f3e.jpeg

Guides, and Cochran EC Library box sets. A great combination.

I still regularly use the Overstreet Price Guide as an info source. That's always what I most liked about Overstreet. Its function as a price guide wasn't that important to me. Moreover I like Overstreet's definitions of "rare", "scarce" and what constitutes restoration. And I love the ads! Many are very well done indeed.

(thumbsu

It's way too big for me these days though. I'd like it better if it did not include any title that got its start after 1990 or so.

:frown:

Edited by Hepcat

My Excel data goes back to 1993 for OSPG. Fun to see the plateauing up of certain issues. This year looks like the correction from COVID. GS X-Men #1 dropped back quite a bit.