• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Put Up a Little Tribute Gallery on CAF…

35 posts in this topic

… to an artist who’s 90’s work I really admired with 6-7 pieces in it and shared it with him on his FB page, who then said to everyone:

”Wish they wouldn’t post my old art, but what can you do?”

:facepalm:

What can I do? I can delete the gallery, ya ingrate!

I’m not naming names, it’s not a huge deal, but…wow. 

On 8/10/2024 at 10:18 PM, Dr. Balls said:

it’s not a huge deal, but…wow. 

Hard to not feel a little...stung by that response.  Funny to encounter an artist not enthusiastic to promote his own work.  Deleting the gallery is probably for the best.

On 8/11/2024 at 1:18 AM, thethedew said:

Hard to not feel a little...stung by that response.  Funny to encounter an artist not enthusiastic to promote his own work.  Deleting the gallery is probably for the best.

Yeah, it stung a bit - I mean, I wasn’t expecting him to trip over himself thanking me, I just thought he might think it’s cool to see a grouping of his older work in one place. (shrug)

On 8/11/2024 at 6:37 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Yeah, it stung a bit - I mean, I wasn’t expecting him to trip over himself thanking me, I just thought he might think it’s cool to see a grouping of his older work in one place. (shrug)

By analogy, I have occasionally read some things I did 20-30 years ago, and I am usually disappointed in the quality of my older writing.

I’m sorry that happened. An artist’s attitude has definitely spoiled their work for me in the past. Such a bummer when that happens. Maybe they were just having a bad day or lashing out because of something totally unrelated going on in their own life. Regardless, it sucks that you were on the receiving end of that. 

On 8/10/2024 at 11:18 PM, Dr. Balls said:

… to an artist who’s 90’s work I really admired with 6-7 pieces in it and shared it with him on his FB page, who then said to everyone:

Another 90s artist with a weird, pompous attitude. This is becoming a trend.

On 8/10/2024 at 11:18 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Yeesh, what a miserable attitude to have. Sorry that happened.

I wonder what the other fans thought of the artist's reaction on FB ?  If I was a fan, it would make me feel like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person for liking this guy's 90's art.  Ya gotta start somewhere and there aren't a lot of prodigies to go around.  If this artist worked on a 90's mutant title, would he turn down the royalties ?

Sometimes you don't want to meet your heroes. 

On 8/11/2024 at 8:30 PM, KirbyCollector said:

His poor attitude shouldn't change your opinion. You liked the art; keep on liking it. 

Yeah, I think after dealing with a previous artist who did something similar, I’ve learned to just kind of shrug it off and enjoy the work.

I still don’t understand the mentality or attitude about verbalizing those thoughts that are better left unsaid - but that’s something I’ll probably never understand.

I’m going to guess the stuff you posted sells for more than whatever he’s doing these days and he’s bitter about it.

As Kirbycollector said, still like it if you still like it. But if you don’t still like it because of the artist’s reaction, that’s ok too. Sell it and buy something else if it’s tainted for you.

The guy could have used it as an opportunity to engage his fans across the years by expressing appreciation for your longtime admiration, and he still would have had the chance to talk about how he’s moved on/evolved artistically and his 90’s work is not his favorite period from his own body of work though he’s grateful for his fans yadda yadda…

On 8/12/2024 at 7:32 PM, redrighthand said:

Why delete it?

You like it. It's your gallery. 

Why do what we wants?

I understand his feelings about earlier work, but it doesn't matter. It's out there now.

Put it back up, I say.

I had collected it all in a gallery with a little information about the artist in the description of the gallery, mostly to give a little primer to people who come across it to his art, style and what he's worked on. I deleted the gallery and just moved the pieces back into their respective categories in my other galleries (pinups, pages, etc). My general feeling is that if he's that down about people owning and showing his older work, I don't need to go out of my way to promote his art.

Posted (edited)
On 8/12/2024 at 8:55 PM, Readcomix said:

I’m going to guess the stuff you posted sells for more than whatever he’s doing these days and he’s bitter about it.

As Kirbycollector said, still like it if you still like it. But if you don’t still like it because of the artist’s reaction, that’s ok too. Sell it and buy something else if it’s tainted for you.

The guy could have used it as an opportunity to engage his fans across the years by expressing appreciation for your longtime admiration, and he still would have had the chance to talk about how he’s moved on/evolved artistically and his 90’s work is not his favorite period from his own body of work though he’s grateful for his fans yadda yadda…

This guy is not well-known, and his work doesn't command any significant numbers. I had 7 pieces of art in this gallery, and I paid a total of $900 for all of it (and two of the "older" pieces he has such disdain over I bought directly from him). So, he's not a big tier artist - but he was a talented 90's artist, and still remains talented - and I wanted to share that talent with others. A minor thing, as my CAF isn't a hotbed of activity, but still - I looked forward to making an effort to show off his work.

I still like the art I have, but I'll not be seeking any more out, that's for sure. Like I said, I'm not Mega Level Butt-hurt over it, but as a former illustrator - who spent many years selling my own work, and being thankful to each and every person who bought it - it's one of those "customer service" things that irritates me. I have never gravitated towards the attitude of "I'm an Artist, and therefore I am Unique and Special, and can wipe my rear-end with my fans sentiment."

Edited by Dr. Balls

I bought a piece from an artist years ago who had been selling his pieces on ebay as $0.01 auctions and I got one piece for a great deal. I was bidding on his art every week or two when he would put up pieces and when I received the inexpensive piece he had included a handwritten note about how I ripped him off and he would never sell on ebay again. I sent him a message saying how disappointing it was to hear that and I had won a bunch of his work previously and was a big fan of his work but if he felt like it was sold too low he could send me a return shipping label and refund me. He then apologized and said he was having a tough day but it's something I didn't forget and although he kept putting stuff up on ebay I never bought anything from him again. 

I did bring a book to get signed by him at a show a few years ago and told him about the sketches I had so he asked if I could show him one because he kind of remembered my name. When I showed him the piece he clearly remembered what had happened and said "I think I sold that piece very low". It made me laugh and I didn't bring up the note because he was nice enough then. Seems like a good guy who probably was having a bad day but I still can't buy any more of his work. 

On 8/13/2024 at 7:14 PM, Hockeyflow33 said:

I bought a piece from an artist years ago who had been selling his pieces on ebay as $0.01 auctions and I got one piece for a great deal. I was bidding on his art every week or two when he would put up pieces and when I received the inexpensive piece he had included a handwritten note about how I ripped him off and he would never sell on ebay again. I sent him a message saying how disappointing it was to hear that and I had won a bunch of his work previously and was a big fan of his work but if he felt like it was sold too low he could send me a return shipping label and refund me. He then apologized and said he was having a tough day but it's something I didn't forget and although he kept putting stuff up on ebay I never bought anything from him again. 

I did bring a book to get signed by him at a show a few years ago and...

I had exactly the same experience as your first paragraph, quite the coincidence if it's not the same artist.

But I bet it is. Mine: the initials are BH. Yours?

On 8/13/2024 at 7:30 PM, vodou said:

I had exactly the same experience as your first paragraph, quite the coincidence if it's not the same artist.

But I bet it is. Mine: the initials are BH. Yours?

Hahaha yea it was! I love John Carter and thought his work was really great but what he thinks his prices should be is nuts