• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

US Post problems
2 2

9 posts in this topic

I'm looking for advice and to see if anyone is having a similar problem. I purchased 40 silver age books off the boards a while back. I am in Canada and he is in the US. The books shipped around July 12. They moved through 2 or 3 stations then froze. They are still at a US station but haven't moved in over a month. Inquiries have been answered saying there is nothing to do but wait (another 3 weeks). So according to tracking nothing has moved in over a month. Weirdly, the same thing happened to me about a month previously. A large package of books just stopped moving on the US side for 2 1/2 weeks. But they did start moving again and I received the package. I am looking for opinions on US Post and if this is happening to others. Particularly Canadians getting packages from the US. Best, Den   

I haven't had books stuck for that long, though I've experienced delays shipping to Europe,  Australia and Canada. 

I'll also say, calling them is awful. I had a package disappear in their tracking system. I called their tangled web of customer service hell, only to be placed on hold for hours and hours, then told "call back tomorrow if you still don't see it"  

I know my wife would argue giving birth is more painful, but I can't imagine anything more excruciating than calling the U.S Postal service. 

I’ve experienced brief delays (like 5 days) with packages and I’ve mailed checks for books to guys less than 1000 miles away that took almost two full weeks - all in the US.  I’ve had other checks just vaporize into the ether - never show up, never get cashed.  It’s a hazard of doing this.

On 8/27/2024 at 4:32 PM, KCOComics said:

I haven't had books stuck for that long, though I've experienced delays shipping to Europe,  Australia and Canada. 

I'll also say, calling them is awful. I had a package disappear in their tracking system. I called their tangled web of customer service hell, only to be placed on hold for hours and hours, then told "call back tomorrow if you still don't see it"  

I know my wife would argue giving birth is more painful, but I can't imagine anything more excruciating than calling the U.S Postal service. 

Try Medicare or Social Security. One could die of old age waiting a reply…:preach:

Pretty much ANY government agency.

Edited by Robot Man

I put my mail on hold for 6 days and said I'd pick it up from the post office on the last day.  Instead they delivered all my held mail to my mailbox on the 3rd or 4th day with a piece of paper indicating all mail is to be held for 6 days and the customer will pick up.  lol.  I don't get it.  It can't be this difficult. That being said, I've been having issues with just about every delivery service.  FedEx is probably the worst in that regard.  Generally UPS is fine.  Even USPS isn't too bad - usually.  I won't even begin to talk about the difficulties with the passport office, USCIS, etc.  I've pretty much come to the conclusion if you have to call support with any of these entities, you're just basically screwed.

• Administrator

Our USPS will not EVER allow us to pick up our mail unless we have a PO box.  How ridiculous is that?  I wonder if they have read the rules on their USPS website?

Thanks for all the replies. I buy a ton mail order and the small packages coming in all seem fine. I buy from big auction houses and that are always quick deliveries. Even large packages of 150 books or more. But the large packages from regular people seem to be taking a really long time. Also, like MattTheDuck said, letter mail to the US has been terrible. I've had a letter take 6 weeks to be delivered. About 3 months ago every letter was taking 3 weeks and more. Oddly enough I sell mail order and letters coming from the US and small packet shipping to the US have been normal. So it depends on the type of mail. 
Anyway, nothing yet. I'll post if I get some good news. Thanks, Den

On 8/28/2024 at 9:21 AM, Robot Man said:

Try Medicare or Social Security. One cold die of old age waiting a reply…:preach:

Pretty much ANY government agency.

I, on the other hand, was amazed at how smooth the sign-up for Social Security and Medicare was. I made a telephone appointment for each of them several years apart, and it couldn't have gone smoother.