• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
38 38

12,755 posts in this topic

On 3/3/2022 at 11:23 PM, Alex Keyfes said:

Do you guys think Jim Lee's Superman Unchained is undervalued?

That's a good question as it brings a few wrinkles of OA collecting into focus.  If this is a nostalgia-fueled hobby, then no, it's likely not undervalued as kids reading that story at say 13 when it was published are not very far into their 20s now and presumably do not have the kind of $$ to increase prices based on their 13 year old feelings.  According to OA lore, that should change when they're older and have $$ to buy back their childhoods.  But who knows?

And I also say it's not undervalued because the current market just doesn't favor that story much, as most people (at least on this board) haven't read a comic book published after 1986 (polite jab).

I'm in my 40s and bought a DPS from Unchained because it was a DPS from Lee/Williams that was "only" $6K at the time (and I got a small discount!) and featured my favorite superhero.  Bigger bang for my buck, I guess, as opposed to something from Hush, or Lee's earlier 1990s work.  I don't think it's a story that will stand the test of time, so can't see it standing on it's own (value-wise) outside nostalgia (like I believe stories such as Watchmen and Dark Knight will).  But again, who knows?  Lee/Williams can be a bit of a different beast, so I do think their work will always be valued, just a matter of how much.

Personally, I think Lee/Williams Hush timeframe is likely some of their best work, it's awfully beautiful.  Hush and another Superman story that's not well loved (For Tomorrow) are better examples of Lee/Williams in action; Justice League also.  I think money would be better spent there than Unchained.  But you get what you can get at a price that's comfortable to you.  Generally speaking, if you're after an Unchained page it's likely better to buy now than to wait.  That's a very general statement.

On 3/4/2022 at 2:39 PM, Alex Keyfes said:

Interesting, what about Jim Lee's Batman Europa?

There you're getting into things like "Jim Lee layouts" and someone else's finishes (I forget the other artist who is credited...I think he's European).  So, it's not as cut and dry as to who actually put pencil to paper and to what degree.  Europa pages can be really pretty and indicative of Lee, but I've always had doubt about how much pencil he put to paper whenever a page comes up.  Not my thing, but I know others scoop them up when they can.

On 3/4/2022 at 2:54 PM, Andahaion said:

There you're getting into things like "Jim Lee layouts" and someone else's finishes (I forget the other artist who is credited...I think he's European).  So, it's not as cut and dry as to who actually put pencil to paper and to what degree.  Europa pages can be really pretty and indicative of Lee, but I've always had doubt about how much pencil he put to paper whenever a page comes up.  Not my thing, but I know others scoop them up when they can.

I thought Camuncoli did the layouts and Jim did the finishes? 

I really like X-men Whilce's pages.  What is their price range for his OA X-Men pages now adays? Like 15-20K for a choice Bishop DPS or SPS? And like 5K for a basic page with no heroes or villains, very uninteresting but a story page and a Whilce?  As I am building out my collection I want to get a sense of what is realistic and what is not and budget, etc.

Thank you!

Alex

On 3/6/2022 at 6:07 PM, Alex Keyfes said:

I really like X-men Whilce's pages.  What is their price range for his OA X-Men pages now adays? Like 15-20K for a choice Bishop DPS or SPS? And like 5K for a basic page with no heroes or villains, very uninteresting but a story page and a Whilce?  As I am building out my collection I want to get a sense of what is realistic and what is not and budget, etc.

Thank you!

Alex

Who knows at this point! A recent 6 panel page sold for 13k.

https://www.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=0+790+231&Ntk=SI_Titles-Desc&Nty=1&Ntt=portacio+original&ic4=KeywordSearch-A-K-071316

On 3/5/2022 at 6:16 PM, Kohei said:

Getting back on topic..I added fifteen new pieces 

Some lesser known artists including Roby Amor, Francisco Portela, and some better known dudes-Mitch Gerads, Giffen, and Lark as well as a rarely seen Booth commission

See them all here:

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerynew.asp?GCat=114146

Superman by Roby Amor 2022.jpg

Legion of Super-Heroes #19 pg 21 by Keith Giffen & Al Gordon 1991.jpg

Great additions! Beautiful pencil work on the Superman and I love a great 9-panel page.