• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
37 37

12,725 posts in this topic

On 2/19/2023 at 2:23 PM, Rick2you2 said:

When I saw these 2 pages by Jim Aparo come up for sale from Phantom Stranger 11, that was that. I had previously seen them posted on Facebook, and hadn't owned any with Tannarak (a vampire of human souls) and PS together. This is a nice fight scene between the 2 of them with PS delivering his classic roundhouse punch. For my money. the best pair since Jayne Mansfield (with a young Jennifer Love Hewitt close behind).

AparoPhantormStranger2.thumb.jpg.fff6476b0a191943c123adefe770c0f8.jpg

Congrats. Loved Aparo's PS (and pretty much everything else he drew). I still need something from him.

On 2/20/2023 at 8:10 PM, malvin said:

Now that my collection is bigger, every year I go to my local big con (FanExpo Vancouver) saying I probably wouldn't buy anything, and I am proven wrong.

I ended up buying 5 covers (Young Justice, World's Finest, and Batman) as well as some Transformers Merchanising art

link to CAF recent uploads

Thanks for looking

Malvin 

I bet Max Dunbar was as happy as you are!

Aparo is an artist I’ve really come to appreciate over the years. I always liked his Aquaman stuff it wasn’t until some recent auctions that I really came to appreciate his work. Just really wonderful draftsmanship with a kind mid century flair to it.

On 2/21/2023 at 10:31 PM, Natty Bumpo said:

Aparo is an artist I’ve really come to appreciate over the years. I always liked his Aquaman stuff it wasn’t until some recent auctions that I really came to appreciate his work. Just really wonderful draftsmanship with a kind mid century flair to it.

His pacing is always very good (within the confines of -script-based artwork). Notice how, in the above example, he used a long panel as the set-up, 3 follow-on panels of fighting which are almost, but not quite, the same size, a dramatic half panel, and then his beauty, the punch? You get a real sense of time from the layout, with appropriate “movie” close-ups. Too many artists might have overdone the “suffering” on the first page (at least these days), or not given the beginning of the sequence a splashy sort of feeling. 

On 2/19/2023 at 3:23 PM, Rick2you2 said:

When I saw these 2 pages by Jim Aparo come up for sale from Phantom Stranger 11, that was that. I had previously seen them posted on Facebook, and hadn't owned any with Tannarak (a vampire of human souls) and PS together. This is a nice fight scene between the 2 of them with PS delivering his classic roundhouse punch. For my money. the best pair since Jayne Mansfield (with a young Jennifer Love Hewitt close behind).

Just love JA's work !

On 2/19/2023 at 3:23 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Great pick ups!