• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Feature Book

9 posts in this topic

Great to see that someone has started a Feature Book thread.  I got the bug to start collecting these about 25 years ago. It's is a fun series to collect, as many issues in the series can be readily found in low grade, while higher grade copies can be frustratingly difficult to find, adding to the challenge. 

For those that aren't too familiar with Feature Books, the series was started in 1936 by David McKay Publishing.  It consists primarily of strip reprints.  The series started with two no number issues, a Dick Tracy and a Popeye that are extremely rare.  The no-numbers and  numbers 1-25 are oversized and the contents are black and white. The covers are a thick paper/ thin cardboard and the interior pages are what we used to call "Manila Paper" when I was in grade school.. For the first ten numbered issues the front and back covers are identical.  Issues 11-16 have the same "Johnson Smith & Co." ad on the back cover.  Issues 17-25 have plain back covers.  

There are pedigree copies of some of the Feature Books.  The Edgar Church, Billy Wright, and Lost Valley collections all contain Feature Books.  David McKay Publishing was acquired by Random House in 1986, and there are also "Random House" file copies.

Finally, issues 1-8 were called "Feature Books"; starting with issue 9 they were titled "Feature Book" without the "s".  I have absolutely no idea why.

FeatureBook2.thumb.jpg.75cb876aaaa0bc7766977a471ce83375.jpg

Feature Books #2.  Not quite as nice as the #1 but still a nice copy.  Because of the heavy covers and thick paper many of the Feature Books have detached covers or centerfolds.  It's also not uncommon to see books in otherwise good condition with spine splits.  I picked this one up from eBay in 2001.