• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic / Cartoon related theme aquarium?

11 posts in this topic

So my aquarium last fish finally died after like 5 years (very hearty Corydoras sterbai) so I took the opportunity to reseal the tank and upgrade some of the equipment.  As I was researching new equipment that I was buying I was looking at ornaments and saw some interesting ones.  Examples where like a Star Wars AT-AT and other Star Wars related items along with like Sponge Bob and the list goes on.  So it got me curious if some of the individuals on these boards have comic / cartoon related themes in their aquariums.  At this point I have always gone natural but I am getting a Betta this time. Right now I just have a natural looking 15 gallon tank that I am on third week of cycling at this point and replanted and trimmed that I have pondering setting up a new theme.   If you have a comic /cartoon related aquarium show us some pics and description of tank size and such.  :)  

image.thumb.jpeg.e9f7e44c475fcfc6ce7465cc79eb4c39.jpeg

Ha!  I never would've thought of this.  I don't think I'd ever do it, but it's a fun idea.  I used to raise chichlids in a small 29g tank that was probably too small, but I also, like you, had corys in the tank.  They were some of the cutest suckers.  I won't go into details about how I should've never put them in with aggressive cichlids, though - it was gruesome.  I've thought about getting something like a 75g or 100g tank for my new house when i build it, but I may just watch other aquarium fanatics from afar for now.  We'll see.

On 9/26/2024 at 12:29 PM, whisp said:

image.thumb.jpeg.e9f7e44c475fcfc6ce7465cc79eb4c39.jpeg

That is a really nice planted tank.  I hardly ever see nicely planted tanks. 

I don't like the neon fake stuff with deep sea divers and plastic plants and pirates. 

I'd stick with the natural look... you are good at it.

On 9/26/2024 at 5:21 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

Make sure you seal anything non-treated for aquarium use before you put it in there as the chemicals can break them down and eventually pollute the tank.

Everything I was looking at are for aquarium and safe.  :)

On 9/26/2024 at 9:10 PM, Turnando said:

That is a really nice planted tank.  I hardly ever see nicely planted tanks. 

I don't like the neon fake stuff with deep sea divers and plastic plants and pirates. 

I'd stick with the natural look... you are good at it.

Thanks.

Its a little sparse right now since as mentioned I totally redid my tank from scratch.  There is some really amazing planted tanks out there in the world.   Those Crypt plants get a lot bigger but I had just prune them back and got rid of all the leaves with algae on them for the most part.   They already growing new leaves though within days.

image.jpeg.45e443dd624f4f585bd32eaf95daf367.jpeg

Was thinking of adding some sword plants and some form of floating plant (was thinking Amazon Frogbit) but may not do floating plants.  Havn't full decided on that.  May even get a Betta moss ball since Monday I am putting in the new fish.  I actually got my Amazon package early that was suppose to be Sunday but arrived today after I posted this with the final equipment.  Got the new heater and I added a Betta floating log.  The new style heater is way better than my old one and has way more features to keep the tank at the temp I want.  Also having a super duper quiet air pump with those new piezoelectric technology is amazing.  I also using a canister filtration system. All I hear is bubbles.  No more listening to those noisy air pumps.  I like the natural but I have done it for years so wanted to see if it looked cheesy or not with some theme.

image.thumb.jpeg.7c2d20f63a5ad69a9cb4225a615337d9.jpeg

On 9/26/2024 at 8:23 PM, whisp said:

Also having a super duper quiet air pump with those new piezoelectric technology is amazing.  I also using a canister filtration system. All I hear is bubbles.  No more listening to those noisy air pumps

I haven't heard about those pumps.  I don't like continuous machine noise.  This new ones are a great idea.

I have to admit that AT-AT looks really cool.  I think it would fit nicely in a natural planted tank that looks like an underwater forest.  If you get it you could always cycle it in and out of the tank when you change your mind.   

If I still had tanks I think I'd get that AT-AT. I used to have a rocky tank for African cyclids and a planted tank for Amazonian species. I travel too much now to have tanks so I miss them.  I had them for the tranquility they gave me.

On 9/27/2024 at 8:04 AM, Turnando said:

I haven't heard about those pumps.  I don't like continuous machine noise.  This new ones are a great idea.

I have to admit that AT-AT looks really cool.  I think it would fit nicely in a natural planted tank that looks like an underwater forest.  If you get it you could always cycle it in and out of the tank when you change your mind.   

If I still had tanks I think I'd get that AT-AT. I used to have a rocky tank for African cyclids and a planted tank for Amazonian species. I travel too much now to have tanks so I miss them.  I had them for the tranquility they gave me.

Yeah they are super quiet and meant for nano tanks and small like sponge filters.  I ended up getting the Nicrew nano quiet air pump.  They work really well with small super fine 1 inch air stones.  I had a Tetra whisper 20 that is promoted as being quiet and it use to drive me up the wall.  Aquarium technology with like these new heaters that are way better and led lighting just makes doing aquariums a lot easier now compared to when I was a kid.

I agree that the AT-AT would look great in a real planted tank.  The other thing I liked about it was the cave system is higher in the tank.  Bettas like to be up higher thus why I got the Betta floating log.

Anyways we will see, I have a bunch of November toy preorders coming and I need to buy a new cellphone since majority of the aps won't work since my phone is so old so saving up for a new one so that will be for a later project.

Edited by whisp