• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Auction and Restored GA comics

238 posts in this topic

I don't think anyone would bet heavily that another MH collection will materialize. I happen to think that there are several (if not more) 1,000 - 5,000 book GA collections still undiscovered

I totally agree. Since 2000, there have already been 2 new GA pedigrees, Lost Valley and Vancouver.

just like the Rockford collection that only came to the market in 1997 and the Vancouver collection that came to light even more recently. Neither of these collections were stored under optimum circumstances

I thought the Vancouver collection WAS stored pretty optimally. The structural grades and general eye appeal/preservation are outstanding? The main flaw with the Vancouver collection was that it mostly comprised of minor titles and issues.

In the last 10 years, how many predominantly SA-BA pedigrees have been discovered compared to predominantly GA pedigree collections? Off the top of my head, for GA we have Spokane, Northford, Palo Alto, Rockford.

For SA-BA, there is Boston, Oakland, Green River, Pacific Coast, Curator, Don Rosa, Don and Maggie collection (is this really a pedigree?), Winnipeg.

I am sure I am missing some, but it seems to me like we are getting less and less GA pedigress, compared to more and more SA-BA pedigrees, And the SA-BA pedigress seem to have a larger number of books in them, generally?

Second, the disclaimer should say "..., something Chuck was alleged to have done according to comic book lore and legend."

confused.gif

"He should have pulled a "Chuckie", meaning that he shouldn't have brought along a price guide, something Chuck was alleged to have done according to comic book lore and legend." confused-smiley-013.gif

In the last 10 years, how many predominantly SA-BA pedigrees have been discovered compared to predominantly GA pedigree collections? Off the top of my head, for GA we have Spokane, Northford, Palo Alto, Rockford.

Also Lost Valley and Vancouver.

For SA-BA, there is Boston, Oakland, Green River, Pacific Coast, Curator, Don Rosa, Don and Maggie collection (is this really a pedigree?), Winnipeg.

I am sure I am missing some, but it seems to me like we are getting less and less GA pedigress, compared to more and more SA-BA pedigrees, And the SA-BA pedigress seem to have a larger number of books in them, generally?

Not surprising. Buying and preserving comics was much more prevalent in the 1960s/70s than in the 1930s/40s. There are some, including myself, who think that pedigree status shouldn't be accorded to ANY collections where the bulk is comprised of post-1966 SA and BA books, no matter how high grade and how extensive.

Also Northland for SA. The Mass. pedigree was 14 years ago? I would grant pedigree status to where the overwhelming bulk is pre 1971-72.

Right, forgot about Northland, and Mass was definitely over 10 years ago, but was it really as early as 1991 or so? Man, I'm getting old.

Cut off date of 1971-72 is too late in my opinion, as there is no shortage of HG Marvels and DCs from 1966 on. Is there any point to designating a book as a pedigree when there are 30 other copies in 9.4 or higher, most from non-pedigreed collections?

what, no respect for the Don Rosa pedigree? wink.gif

I agree, after the 60's, there's no point.

I think Don Rosa deserves to have his collection noted as being his collection, because he has some stature as a collector and creator in our hobby, but that's the only reason.

OK then, what disclaimer should someone like Aman use when saying "do a Chuckie" in reference to someone who doesn't bring a guide?

First, I hold you to a higher standard than Aman.

Second, the disclaimer should say "..., something Chuck was alleged to have done according to comic book lore and legend."

jeeeeze, dont I even rate a smiley after that remark????frown.gif

I posted all those books for you, I thought we wuz buddies?

3 entries found for reticent.

ret·i·cent ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rt-snt)

adj.

1. Inclined to keep one's thoughts, feelings, and personal affairs to oneself. See Synonyms at silent.

2. Restrained or reserved in style.

3. Reluctant; unwilling.

thanx. that explains why O keep seeing it used that way....though it still sounds wrong to my ears... and it is the #3 definition, meaning the weakest or least used or least apt, right? and the first one specifically mentions remaining silent.

anyway, thanx for looking it up. hail.gif

OK then, what disclaimer should someone like Aman use when saying "do a Chuckie" in reference to someone who doesn't bring a guide?

First, I hold you to a higher standard than Aman.

jeeeeze, dont I even rate a smiley after that remark????frown.gif

I posted all those books for you, I thought we wuz buddies?

Wasn't meant as a slam against you at all. flowerred.gif Just telling Scott that as a fellow lawyer, I hold him to a higher standard in his drafting. Believe me, if I held you to the same standard, we'd never even get into the substance of any discussions because I'd be too busy getting on your case over your spelling and grammar! poke2.gif

I don't think anyone would bet heavily that another MH collection will materialize. I happen to think that there are several (if not more) 1,000 - 5,000 book GA collections still undiscovered

just like the Rockford collection that only came to the market in 1997 and the Vancouver collection that came to light even more recently. Neither of these collections were stored under optimum circumstances

I thought the Vancouver collection WAS stored pretty optimally. The structural grades and general eye appeal/preservation are outstanding? The main flaw with the Vancouver collection was that it mostly comprised of minor titles and issues.

The Rockford Collection contains a number of books with minimal structural defects but they don't have the appeal (gloss, color retention, and white pages) that would cause you to mistake them for Reilly or Church copies. That includes the first set that Mark brought to San Diego when he needed to turn around books quick to pay for the collection.

I do think we'll continue to find more collections and they won't all be Rockford or Crowley or SN in quality. The Vancouver and Spokane were stored in ideal conditions, both go back into the GA, and do have books that will match or exceed Church copies in quality. They just didn't contain many GA books.

The Northford, Spokane, and Palo Alto were primarily 50s/Atomic Age collections rather than GA.

Lane Carter told me once that pallet loads of Golden Age comics used to be brought into the early San Diego Cons. I don't doubt that this occurred.

In fact, some of the books I was lucky enough to purchase that way are still some of the nicest books in my collection (and, yes, I own 9.4 and 9.6 Mile High books).

Gary Carter and many others (e.g. John Snyder), however, have all talked about what an eye-opening experience it was to see Church copies. They all felt that they were clearly superior than what they had seen previously, and that, as a result, it changed the definition of what Near Mint meant.

I wasn't there in SD like the Carters or like you in NYC. I've no doubt there were a lot of books there, but it is surprising to me to hear you mention that you did / could have picked up quite a few books that were Church 9.4 or 9.6 quality. This is the first that I have of heard of that and I have talked with a number of older collectors. If your comment was more a general comment that you could find a lot of books that were decent VFs, that would not surprise, nor the fact that you would occasionally find NM/NM+ books (heck, they might even be Reillys 893crossfingers-thumb.gif).

I'm asking the same questions of you I would any of these other collectors because I'm genuinely interested. If there already are a lot of great collections out there but they've been kept under wraps that sounds like a great story.

By the way, if you ever get a chance to scan a few of your books, I'm sure we'd love to see them. popcorn.gif

I totally agree. Since 2000, there have already been 2 new GA pedigrees, Lost Valley and Vancouver.

Totally agree as well.

3 entries found for reticent.

ret·i·cent ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rt-snt)

adj.

1. Inclined to keep one's thoughts, feelings, and personal affairs to oneself. See Synonyms at silent.

2. Restrained or reserved in style.

3. Reluctant; unwilling.

thanx. that explains why O keep seeing it used that way....though it still sounds wrong to my ears... and it is the #3 definition, meaning the weakest or least used or least apt, right? and the first one specifically mentions remaining silent.

anyway, thanx for looking it up. hail.gif

Not necessarily. Aside from the fact that reticent's Latin root means "to keep silent," the ordering of definitions just means that it's used in those three contexts and they had to number them somehow and likely gave deference to the definition that was linked to the Latin root. I think that some dictionaries attempt to rank usages from most common to least common, but I am sure they don't conduct popularity polls for all 90,000 words in every dictionary.

For words like "disinterested" that are commonly misused, some dictionaries will signal that in the definition by indicating that the attributed meaning isn't technically correct but is in common usage anyway.

Maybe most of the Marvels are relatively plentiful in 9.4 or better, post 1966, but I know from experience there are more then a handful of DC's, not to mention Charlton's and a few other smaller publishers, that are legitimently tough to get in high grade up into the early 70's. And that is just mainstream, trying to put together a late SA, early BA high grade collection of DC romance is next to impossible, and the late 60's DC horror books are not to far behind in that respect.

Lets quantify this, what does one consider plentiful for a 9.4 or better? 5 copies? 10 copies? 20 copies?

20+ = plentiful

10+ = common

5+ = relatively uncommon

<5 = getting scarcer

1 or 0 = tough book!

UNLESS - - it can reasonably be determined that common sense tells us many more remain unslabbed. Like a nothing book that just hasnt been sent in for lack of value. AND, I also look at 9.2s and 9.0s to get a sense of the overall HG population to date.

<5 total 9.0 or better = tough book!

<5 total 8.0 or better = tough early DC key!!

.That fine 6.0 Detective 27 with slight resto in Heritages next auction will be a very good example.If that book was a totally unrestored 6.0 it would probably go for 145k to 160k

Hi men.

Ive been away on vacation so i was not able to explain.Yes indeed Detective Comics #27 in fine[unrestored] has a book value is 95k ,but the Overstreet price does not reflect the RARITY of a totally unrestored Detective #27 if fine 6.0.This book would be in the top 5 copies[of all copies] not just cgc.With only 5 copies graded over 6.0 unrestored that would list the book as [rare] ajusted for condition.

This is no secret to the market and would thus reflect a price well over book value.

I did not base my restored price on the unrestored book value.I based the restored price on the premium an unrestored 6.0 would get and worked from that figure as i feel Overstreets unrestored price is well off reality that the market would bare.Taking a look at the book carefully at Heritages site however i do feel that the book will come in at 35 to 55k.I do believe i overshot the estimate the first time around without taking a careful look at the book.I dont think that [slight resto disignation is going to save the book]It has spine splitS sealed and the cover and centerfold re-enforced]That really sounds like more than [slight].. One mans slight is another mans moderate.The price will dictate who is correct.

Happy New Year