• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

real nice ff 12 cgc 9.0 on comiclink

31 posts in this topic

FF #12 is one of the hardest silver age books to find in hard grade. It took me years to find mine. I think it commands a premium for a reason. If anyone wants to sell their's for 5k LMK.

Actually, I think the long held belief that it is super hard to find in high grade is a bit of a myth, as there are 21 copies in Unrestored 9.0 or better according to the Census (though I'm sure at least a couple are resubs over the years). What keeps it active and going up is sheer collector demand and enormous popularity of the issue.

As for the copy that sold on Comiclink, I think I know who the buyer is, just by looking at the selling price. And if I am right, then it doesn't bode well for the market as this one particular buyer is responsible for a large number of high grade Marvel purchases off the 'Link in recent months/years. If people realized how many of the noteable anonymous sales/purchases have actually been made by this one person, they too might be a little concerned over the health & vitality of the Silver Marvel market.

I think I know who the buyer is, just by looking at the selling price. And if I am right, then it doesn't bode well for the market as this one particular buyer is responsible for a large number of high grade Marvel purchases off the 'Link in recent months/years. If people realized how many of the noteable anonymous sales/purchases have actually been made by this one person, they too might be a little concerned over the health & vitality of the Silver Marvel market.

Why? confused-smiley-013.gif

Are you implying one person can effect the market? Or the person involved, if known in the hobby, would send danger signals to those buying SA slabs? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

I think I know who the buyer is, just by looking at the selling price. And if I am right, then it doesn't bode well for the market as this one particular buyer is responsible for a large number of high grade Marvel purchases off the 'Link in recent months/years. If people realized how many of the noteable anonymous sales/purchases have actually been made by this one person, they too might be a little concerned over the health & vitality of the Silver Marvel market.

Are you implying one person can effect the market? Or the person involved, if known in the hobby, would send danger signals to those buying SA slabs? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

I'm implying that the "market" many people believe exists is made up of a lot fewer active buyers then people realize, which I think is unhealthy. Of course, I could very easily be wrong with my guess (wouldn't be the first time), but the purchase (big dollar, with seemingly little regard for past price points for the book in grade) would fit the profile of the individual I'm thinking of.

Add to that the fact that Pedigree will soon be offering "the third best" Silver Age Marvel collection to the market (in effect removing yet another BSD from the market, and increasing available supply) and you have have to wonder just how far the pendulum has swung from a seller's market (2003-2004) into a buyer's market (present day).

I'm implying that the "market" many people believe exists is made up of a lot fewer active buyers then people realize, which I think is unhealthy.

Well no [embarrassing lack of self control]. It's common knowledge that a few are driving the prices upward. Look at Chris Bell for example...I'm missing your point here...

Add to that the fact that Pedigree will soon be offering "the third best" Silver Age Marvel collection to the market (in effect removing yet another BSD from the market, and increasing available supply) and you have have to wonder just how far the pendulum has swung from a seller's market (2003-2004) into a buyer's market (present day).

I'd argue it's a "nowhere" market currently. Take one or two players out of the buying market and the prices would fall to a point that would alarm the whole hobby. Is that the point you're trying to make?

This current market stands on a few high grade buyers, and if they bail, and I mean a couple at most, the market will crash significantly? If so I agree...

Jim

It's common knowledge that a few are driving the prices upward. Look at Chris Bell for example...I'm missing your point here...

Perhaps 'Common knowledge' to you and me, but a lot of the folks just returning to the market after a prolonged absence probably aren't so aware.

It's common knowledge that a few are driving the prices upward. Look at Chris Bell for example...I'm missing your point here...

Perhaps 'Common knowledge' to you and me, but a lot of the folks just returning to the market after a prolonged absence probably aren't so aware.

But Jive...that's the same argument I was using against the CGC apologists when I was railing against pressing.

And you know what...one year later and people are still buying them in droves despite my and others protests. Are they ignorant or just don't care?

At some times it seems as if I'm an Army of One...

Jim

Jim

I'm implying that the "market" many people believe exists is made up of a lot fewer active buyers then people realize, which I think is unhealthy. Of course, I could very easily be wrong with my guess (wouldn't be the first time), but the purchase (big dollar, with seemingly little regard for past price points for the book in grade) would fit the profile of the individual I'm thinking of.

Interesting. When I saw that sell price, I felt like a small-market baseball GM who sees the Yankees or Mets wildly overpay a player and bitterly realizes that he's now out of "the market" for anyone good.

I hope this doesn't trickle down to the 4.0-5.0 level where I'm hoping to pick up an FF #12 over the next handful of years.

yeah, i remember that ff 9.2 that sat unsold ....................it was a very nice 9.2

$8700 just seems too much for a 9.0 ff 12

i think $4-5k is more realistic

hey, the dude probably doesn't want to sell it and will only let it go for an offer he can't refuse. at that price, he doesn't have to worry about parting company with the book any time soon......................... devil.gif

well, color me blush.gif..............

$7800 seems "way too high" to me, but god bless 'em.............

and that 3d best CGC'd Marvel collection of 464 early 60's books, almost all in 9.4, is Frickin' unbelievable. Is it Ghost Town's collection?????? that's gonna go for Major Coin regardless of whether he gets top prices or not............. 893whatthe.gif