• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sub-Mariner #1 9.9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

56 posts in this topic

Say first, for Heav'n hides nothing from thy view

Nor the deep Tract of Hell, say first what cause

Mov'd our Grand Parents in that happy State,

Favour'd of Heav'n so highly, to fall off

From their Creator, and transgress his Will

For one restraint, Lords of the World besides?

Who first seduc'd them to that fowl revolt?

Th' infernal Serpent(!)

wink.gif

Yeah - was watching it this weekend - also caught Jeremiah Johnson with Redford which is an alltime favorite but rarely shown anymore. Maybe we could get the awesomely intellectual Joe Isuzu to give us some retro movie reviews on them. I am getting a picture circa early 90s Fox In Living Color - with Joe snapping his fingers and saying"Hated It!"

Wait a sec

If this is supposedly a 9.9, why not get it CGC'd?

It would have sold for a lot more

And also if you look at CGC population reports never has a number one got better than 9.8

So you could have the best ever copy in the entire world if you have it CGC'd grin.gif

Wait a sec

And also if you look at CGC population reports never has a number one got better than 9.8

So you could have the best ever copy in the entire world if you have it CGC'd grin.gif

Blue or purple? 893whatthe.gif

The seller strongly disagrees with the idea of CGC...but as you see from my earlier posts, its a no-brainer to me that had this been graded, AND come back as 9.9 or even 9.8, it would have sold for WAYYYYY more $$$s just as you say.

I don't know how much more headroom this book could have nudged. It closed at almost $900!!!! For a raw book. Think about it. The average CGC 9.4 closes at approx. $400, the CGC 9.6 at about $550-$600. Could a CGC 9.8 bring $900??? I haven't seen one bring THAT amount and it's only .1 lower RAW. My former thoughts on it was, "it'll bring $750 to $900, am I going to make substantially more by investing in a slab, postage both ways, and extra time to do it???? What can I make if CGC slabs it 9.9, even if the book is deserving? $1000?? What's the upper limit on a Subby 1? It's not a difficult book (rather easy), and there's even far more of these in high grade (9.4 and better) on Ebay regularly, than the Iron Man 1 (avg. $800 in CGC 9.6), and Cap 100 (avg.$750 in CGC 9.6).

NOW, my thinking on the Subby 1 was WRONG. The book should have been slabbed and royalties paid and even though the book is GONE and the buyer wildly happy with it, I'm going to step up to the plate and contribute the royalties to CGC that by all rights are due, as though submitting the book in absentia. I wish to give CGC at least $100.00 as a piece of the profits I reaped on the unflawed Subby 1, not a penny less!!!

Wait a sec

The best copy with restoration?

That will never get a 9.9 from CGC. Good for Hammer, more fool the person buying it thinking he will get it CGC'd then make a killing. IMHO a 9.9 Sub #1 would fetch $2-3k

You know this for a fact, or because it's not slabbed? If you know this for a fact, you are the only person that can discern restoration REMOTELY by use of a scan alone, and DON'T need to view the book in person (you should have Chris Freisen's job as you don't even need to LOOK at them for restoration and can obviously improve grading time significantly with your talent that is unique in the hobby!). If you are ASSUMING this to be restored, my TROLL (with Arch approvingly and lovingly looking over your shoulder at your "good work" on these Boards), simply because it's NOT CGCed then I would HAVE to agree with you, because we ALL know that a comic is RESTORED, even ones that have been taken out of the Diamond cartons and loaded on the newsstands, unless CGC grades it. Either way, you're still a Troll, and we can tally up one more non-contributory post to your credit and eagerly await the day that you may have something to say on the Board that doesn't have to do with trolling me. Arch, of course, sits on his thumbs while you do this. We'll see how Arch feels about my blatant trolls once my first submission of 3760 books (including approx. 2000 "junk books" being submitted, just for the purpose of paying "tribute") arrives at CGC with an accompanying check that's good as gold for over $100,000 for grading fees.

Ebay regularly, than the Iron Man 1 (avg. $800 in CGC 9.6), and Cap 100 (avg.$750 in CGC 9.6).

Just an observation.....

A 9.6 Iron Man #1 would bring in about $1000-$1200, a 9.4 about $700-$800.

A 9.6 Cap 100 brings in about $1000, a 9.4 also $700-$800.

If you've seen a Cap 100 in 9.6 sell for $750, then the buyer got a steal.

...saw one recently with ALOT of white showing on the spine (Cap 100) graded 9.6 that went off at WELL under $1000 ($800, give or take a few dollars). That's not the point though. Point is Subby 1. I haven't seen ANY Subby 1s in relative grades auction at amounts that are even CLOSE to what relatively graded Cap 100s and Iron man 1s finish at!

Amazing, isn't it?? Even more amazing is that my personal troll "HooDeeDo" (who has posted 49 times, not one of which has anything to do with any other subject other than ME...as Arch looks lovingly and approvingly on) has analyzed this book as RESTORED, from the SCAN ALONE!!! That's even MORE amazing than my book auctioning for more than a slabbed 9.8 and Arch's continued obliviousness to those whose only presence is to TROLL me (Arch has a Hammer Troll batting average of .000; no hits in over 500 troll appearances. THAT'S amazing consistancy!!!) 893applaud-thumb.gif

Hammer Ill give it another try----

You see what the highest examples of books go for today. A graded 9.9 might fetch $3000 or much more because it would be, in the CGC-collectors eyes, the BEST that will ever be, unimprovable, 'Top of Census, Ma!!'

As an astute observer of the market, I'm very surprised you dont agree. Wouldn't a small TRIBUTE to those whose imprimiture put an extra $2000-plus in your pocket would be money well spent!!! Look at it as a finder's fee!! Even if your 9.9 came out an 9.8, you would be okay.

Doesn't your happy buyer believe he has bought the very best copy at 9.9?? Does he plan to send it in to be graded just to "lock-in" his purchase with the authorities, pay th etribute to record officially his one-of-a-kind 9.9?? And what happens if it comes back a 9.4 or so?

What if it comes back a 10.0? Does he owe me another $12,000???? At this point, I have NEVER submitted a book to CGC. My chances of getting a 9.6 or better even on a flawless newsstand copy of this month's issuance is the same as you throwing a piano from here to China. I didn't auction the book with a guarantee of grade. Doesn't Dan Greenhalgh do that and the concensus I've read on here lately is that Greenhalgh is a CROOK (not MY words, the words of the Board in general. Should I list the threads and specific posts?). If I were to GUARANTEE grades then I as well would want a stipulation of sale that if it receives BETTER than my stated from CGC, I would want COMPENSATION. Guarantees should work BOTH ways. But the Subby was auctioned RAW, meaning that the seller must decide if HE agrees with the grade (a true rarity in this hobby where nobody except 1 entity can interpret Overstreet grading examples). THEN, if there is a problem with the book AFTER it's received back from submission, we deal with it at THAT point. According to my feedback, well over 99% of the time, there is NO problem. The only problem that exists is the warped imagination of my trolls that HATE this Dupchak character so vehemently that they WANT to believe it's ME, even with NO SOLID PROOF AFTER 3 YEARS OF EBAY DEALINGS. The rumor mill was started by ONE individual. It started before I ever SOLD my first book by auction or otherwise. I was only a BUYER the first 9 months and I was already getting emails, "Such and such told Joe Collector that he knows a guy in California that said he has an uncle in NY that knows this guy that he met at a show that said that you're Dupchak....ARE YOU???". And the problem persists because I won't show up and genuflect at people's show tables that have been unjustifiably laying their foul tongue on me for NO REASON. You know WHY I won't show up? Because I won't be showing up to "make friends". I'll be showing up to make OTHERS' day a living hell like they have mine at times...to grab someone by the throat, drag them across their table, ask them "if I look ANYTHING REMOTELY like Dupchak..blink once for yes, twice for no", and then make a much needed example once they blink their eyes twice for "NO"! I can live without going to Rikers overnight just to make this sort of much needed, LONG overdue, payback example.

at if it comes back a 10.0? Does he owe me another $12,000????

Well, no, he wouldnt. As a collector, I root for the collector. Even we fools have to 'win' once in a while! Like in Vegas, occasionally a player will walk away a winner even though the the deck is stacked against him...like it often is in comics collecting. But from an ethical point of view (if such a thing truly exists in this unregulated marketplace) he would onlyowe the dealer to the same extent that dealers stand behind their sales that go the other way..which we know some do, many others don't. I asked what you would do if you got a call from the buyer that was upset that it was now an official, tribute-paid-in-full 9.4, not a 9.9. You answered it the other way, which is interesting...

....as to your problems relating to good ol' Danny...I don't know what to tell you. I think most of it you created yourself..and I think the way you answer these "trolls" perpetuates the situation by not deflating them with anything other than rambling logic, sarcasm and antagonistic threats. All of which, as you have seen, have been a lot less successful than showing up and hanging out with some of these other comics guys here that you obviously enjoy conversing with for hours every day and night!!

if you remember I got here about 2 months ago and stumbled into you talking about those married cover books like the Eastern File copies. I then was led to the long methuselah/Comic-keys threads and read up on the arguments that went on here. After I was done, It was clear to me that you had come on here as Methuselah to defend Comic-keys (or another identity who was in fact Comic-keys)...and after the screaming and name-calling got intense, you admitted you were both people..(or all 3 people). But, as I concluded back then, even though you admitted to being responsible for a few dealings that went sour in the past, there was no real proof that Comic-keys was in fact Danny Dupcak.

As I recall, that was a conclusion that nearly ALL the dealers had come to on their own (or in concert with each other)! And it was based on Comic-keys auctions and the "non-conformist" way they were run, and which looked, to them, as not on the "up-and-up" either. Now clearly you have been in this business for some time so you know as well as I that being condemned by a bunch of dealers for being "shady" could be considered flattery given what passes for business as usual in comics! But Danny was the granddaddy of crooked comics dealers! And the ebay seller Comic-keys struck nearly everyone as the same methods in a new era with a new tool for succeeding at mail order. When Comic keys turned out to be Hammer---well, theres no proof you are---but no proof as yet that you arent because you wont produce it.

But do you HAVE to? no. course not Its not a court of law, here.

But the trolls and the suspicions will follow you around until you do. If you arent Danny, Id think it would be no problem to shed all this you are so sick of. you seem to argue that by doing so, your most vocal detractors will have "won". Thats wrong. By proving you are big and muscular and not tall and Howard Stern lanky as you say, youd SHUT THEM UP pretty forcefully. I'd say that's a VICTORY for you, not them.

The longer you wait, nothing will change. So if you arent him, I hope you solve this because it must be sickening. But then again, if you are, I feel really stupid writing all this to you!!! Plus-- if you are Danny, you certainly dont need my advice, he always took good care of himself!.

As an aside to everyone else. Havent some of you mentioned youve bought from comic-keys in the past? If so, from whom did you receive the packages? Where did you mail the checks? Is there some other reason why noone has produced this info before? Wont someone here get Hammer out of this hell he's in and back upstairs where his avatars suggests he resides?