• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What scams on Ebay! The contact sellers now saying they have bid on your auction

9 posts in this topic

It all looks so legit.

eBay sent this message to you

Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay. Learn more.

Question about Item -- Respond Now

eBay sent this message on behalf of an eBay member via My Messages. Responses sent using email will go to the eBay member directly and will include your email address. Click the Respond Now button below to send your response via My Messages (your email address will not be included).

Question from jell

Item: (6436472319)

This message was sent while the listing was active.

Hello , I have bid on your item , can you please contact me and tell me how much is shipping to zip code 92110 ? Thank you very much for your response

Respond to this question in My Messages.

Item Details

Item number: 6436472319

End date: 29-Oct-05 18:56:12 BST

View item description:

htps://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6436472319&sspagename=ADME:B:AAQ:UK:1

Thank you for using eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/

Marketplace Safety Tip

Always remember to complete your transactions on eBay - it's the safer way to trade.

Is this message an offer to buy your item directly through email without winning the item on eBay? If so, please help make the eBay marketplace safer by reporting it to us. These external transactions may be unsafe and are against eBay policy. Learn more about trading safely.

Is this email inappropriate? Does it breach eBay policy? Help protect the community by reporting it.

Learn how you can protect yourself from spoof (fake) emails at:

https://pages.ebay.co.uk/education/spooftutorial

This eBay notice was sent to you on behalf of another eBay member through the eBay platform and in accordance with our Privacy Policy. If you would like to receive this email in text format, change your notification preferences.

See our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have questions about eBay's communication policies.

Privacy Policy: https://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/privacy-policy.html

User Agreement: https://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/user-agreement.html

Copyright © 2005 eBay, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.

eBay and the eBay logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of eBay, Inc.

Okay, I guess I'm dumb, I don't understand what you're getting at here.

What is the scam?

If you click on the links you probably got something nasty downloaded on your PC.

Adware or worse some info stealer. frown.gif

I get calls and questions from poor folks who get taken on a daily basis.. Scammers like to use my higher priced auctions and play all kinds of games.. The latest is they email users in an irate fashion exclaiming that they have paid and want the items immediatly or negative feedback, etc.. will be left.. They reference one of my auctions so I get to hear it from the poor folks who just gave their username and passwords away...

Of course I've emailed ebay 100 times about this and they have done nothing.. They haven't even removed the ended auction that the same scammer has been using for over a month now.

Solid advice from blowout.

I've had some scary ones that actually had my real name linked up with my user ID. Ones that look like they come from Paypal saying I have cash, then when I research the auction item #, it wasn't what the scam said it was, nor was I at either end of the transaction.

With some of these, unless it involves a previous winner of an auction of mine, I don't see how they get my info matched up. Now, when I get these scams (and I get them all the time), I don't open them, I forward them to spoof@ebay.com or spoof@paypal.com, then double check with each site to make sure everything is in order with my accounts.

Frustrating that they can't seem to stop these things.