• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can anyone help Identify what I think may be original pulp art....

21 posts in this topic

I purchased this painting 5 years ago on 3rd. Ave and 29th.Steet in NYC. I paid $ 35.00. It looks to be from the 40's and looks alot like Pulp Art... maybe for a mag or a paper back. Incidently, this old antique/junk shop I bought it from was only a few blocks from where the original Smith and Street publishers were located in the 30;s and 40's.

Anyway... can and one suggest who I may contact or how to go about identifying this piece?

Any thought?

I save picture to my hard drive. Uploaded picture to image hosting site(picshome.com in this case). I drop link inside [/img] tags. Voila, picture is up. I posted this in the magazine forum as well. Those guys post pulp info all the time, so if it is a pulp or magazine cover they will let you know.

This artwork was used as the cover art for a Dell paperback book titled "The Chequer Board" by Nevil Shute. The book was published in 1947 as Dell Book D109. I don't really collect these paperbacks myself but I have a fairly nice copy listed for sale now on a small auction site called Romahawk.com. I'm not really sure if I'm allowed to post a link to the item I'm selling so I won't post a link unless asked to do so. Here's a scan of the cover of the book though.

PBTheChequerBoard.jpg

now THAT is the kind of stuff the Internet was intended for! brilliant!

I don't know if it was brilliant Sal but it did get me to finally join the message forum. I've been lurking here for months reading the posts and learning a lot about comics. When I saw his artwork I knew it was the same as the book I had. I did a search on eBay and didn't see a copy currently. Apparently the later editions of the novel in paperback had the cover art replaced by something less colorful. It's a beautiful illustration and I'd say he got a super buy at $35.00 smile.gif

now THAT is the kind of stuff the Internet was intended for! brilliant!

I don't know if it was brilliant Sal but it did get me to finally join the message forum. I've been lurking here for months reading the posts and learning a lot about comics. When I saw his artwork I knew it was the same as the book I had. I did a search on eBay and didn't see a copy currently. Apparently the later editions of the novel in paperback had the cover art replaced by something less colorful. It's a beautiful illustration and I'd say he got a super buy at $35.00 smile.gif

Thanks for helping him out and also for letting us know how you even knew this was up. Great way to unlurk in my book 893applaud-thumb.gif Welcome to the other side.

With me it was just a case of do I have anything substantial to add to the conversation? I never really felt that I did until I read this thread yesterday. I've been reading and collecting comics since 1967 and still love to read them today but a lot of the posters here are far more advanced in their collecting habits than I am. I've really enjoyed reading the posts and learning things I did not know, or at least getting the chance to hear another collector's take on a subject that I enjoyed. I appreciate the welcome and will join in more as I learn my way around the different forums. smile.gif

James

welcome to the boards!

my advice is don't worry if you have anything to contribute; information you have that you think is unimportant might be valuable or interesting to someone else. failing that, you always have your opinions, and good opinions are always welcome.

if you need an example, hell, look at Tim up there. fifty-five hundred posts, and only just now is he starting to add something to the forum.

poke2.gif

This artwork was used as the cover art for a Dell paperback book titled "The Chequer Board" by Nevil Shute. The book was published in 1947 as Dell Book D109. I don't really collect these paperbacks myself but I have a fairly nice copy listed for sale now on a small auction site called Romahawk.com. I'm not really sure if I'm allowed to post a link to the item I'm selling so I won't post a link unless asked to do so. Here's a scan of the cover of the book though.

PBTheChequerBoard.jpg

Welcome to the boards! After answering that question (which was a tough one, no doubt) I don't think anyone would begrudge you posting a link to your auctions. I know I would like to check them out. confused-smiley-013.gif