• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Latest Scandal! Comic Book Dealer Disbarred As Lawyer!!!!

1,034 posts in this topic

And Brian, you still ducked this question. Just answer it please.

Would any of this stand up in courtroom? If you were defending a client would you not, in the issue of fairness seek to have one issue separated from another?

This standard hasn't stopped you from ripping into others in the past... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

Would any of this stand up in courtroom? If you were defending a client would you not, in the issue of fairness seek to have one issue separated from another?

With all the jumping from thread to thread...I've become lost. What 2 issues are we trying to seperate exactly?

Doug's disbarment and his reputation as a seller of comic books.

And confusing the issue is that he may very well have financed the purchase of the books he's now selling by previously dipping into client accounts?

Got it.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm going to retire from this discussion. I said what I had to say. I do respect those with opinions that differ on this. I don't appreciate the personal attacks on me, I believe they are unwarranted. I stand firm on my belief that I think a little more time should be taken before the total annihilation of an individuals reputation. I also feel I have not been biased in my past dealings with Doug with regards to my research. I was the one that put the JIMs up on the site. I was the one that grabbed scans off Doug's site of the FF that he was selling that was a trimmed Ewert special and posted them on these boards, and even created the flow chart.

If Doug wants to come on and defend himself, he should. I can't and won't say any more. I consider you all my online friends and there has to be room for differences of opinion. When it gets personal, it's gone too far.

This is a hot button issue. Everyone is still pretty freaked out by the last six months of revelations. It's Doug's responsiblity to come on here and clarify if he feels the need. Otherwise, I guess he'll have to roll with the punches.

Brad

This standard hasn't stopped you from ripping into others in the past... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

Show me a case of someone I ripped into where there wasn't concrete evidence. The guys I most remember ripping into were Ewert, Hammer, ComicSupply and SteveHOCP. All were comic or ebay or chatboard related issues. What's your point? I did my homework on every one of them.

It's just something personal with you, my friend. Admit it. You just don't like my style. 27_laughing.gif

Jim

Show me a case of someone I ripped into where there wasn't concrete evidence. The guys I most remember ripping into were Ewert, Hammer, ComicSupply and SteveHOCP. All were comic or ebay or chatboard related issues. What's your point? I did my homework on every one of them.

It's just something personal with you, my friend. Admit it. You just don't like my style. 27_laughing.gif

No...you can be an insufficiently_thoughtful_person at times...and this is one of those times... makepoint.gif

Jim

You thinking I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person? That's gonna' be incredibly easy for me to live with. makepoint.gif

You still haven't explained what I was supposed to do about the scans that I didn't do. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You thinking I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person? That's gonna' be incredibly easy for me to live with. makepoint.gif

You still haven't explained what I was supposed to do about the scans that I didn't do. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Nuff said... makepoint.gif

Jim

Actually, I think he has a crush on you. flowerred.gif

Seriously tho... Aside from the threads topic, I wish I could still say this thread has been fun reading. With issues like this it seems there are always sides to be taken, or differing opinioins to be aired. It has been ugly, and a side of the boards I hate to see. Moving the discussion in a foward direction is one thing, but I for one feel like everything that needs to be said, HAS been said.

Unless of course there is new material to discuss, or at least a new spin on the old facts.

We all know the facts, we all can make decisions based on those facts. But hey, that has never stopped us from running with a thread for 55 pages has it?

Like Cowboy Bob used to say,

"If ya can't say something nice, then dont say anything at all"

Ze-

Can someone tell me if it's true that Doug cracked, improved , resubmitted and sold without disclosure? Anyone who does that in my opinion is ethically challenged. Anyone!

If you're going to take Doug down for being involved with pressing and resubbing, then you have to take down every dealer out there who does the same.

Burn 'em all. Boycott the chatboards if you feel strongly about it. CGC allows the game. These are just the players.

I'm still waiting for Jim to tell me exactly what I should have done with the scans that I didn't do. In a clear, and fact-based explanation. Guess I'll be waiting a while. popcorn.gif

Jim

He asked you a fair question, and this is your response?

Can someone tell me if it's true that Doug cracked, improved , resubmitted and sold without disclosure? Anyone who does that in my opinion is ethically challenged. Anyone!

CPR 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If you're going to take Doug down for being involved with pressing and resubbing, then you have to take down every dealer out there who does the same.

Burn 'em all. Boycott the chatboards if you feel strongly about it. CGC allows the game. These are just the players.

So now pressing is OK?

So now pressing is OK?

foreheadslap.gifconfused-smiley-013.giffrustrated.gif

Jim

He asked you a fair question, and this is your response?

Brent,

After some digging I found the email you sent me about the JIM 92.......

It's dated October 11, 2005.

Brad

Brad,

Look at the JIM #92 on pedigree's site. I sold it to Jason as a 9.2. He resubbed it and it came back 9.4. He put it up on Doug's site. I knew it was the same book but I couldn't figure out how the corners became so sharp since they were previously somewhat soft. I knew pressing alone wouldn't do it but I couldn't figure out how (within the parameters of the game) he did it. Now we know. Doug has been contacted to let his customer know about the book.

Also, Borock mentioned to Bob and on the boards that this has only been going on for 6 - 9 months. He bought the JIM #92 from me last November, so the time period may be much longer.

Brent

.... just for clarification.

As a reminder...Here's the e-mail Red produced about the subject comic...

I asked why didn't he reveal this to the Forum...

And now we're at this point because I asked Red why he didn't reveal this at the time...

Jim

So now pressing is OK?

Absolutely not! I hate it. Undislosed pressing is wrong. CGC allows it. I think they are dead wrong. Doug has admitted he's a fan of pressing and resubbing. Anyone on THESE boards who buys a book from him knows to ask, if it bothers them. At least you have that option.

Could he go further and note it on every book on his site that he has pressed? IMHO....YES! We have a better chance of changing his and other dealers minds if we keep the dialogue open instead of criminalizing them. It's a fine point I know....but give it a go.

So now pressing is OK?

foreheadslap.gifconfused-smiley-013.giffrustrated.gif

What? confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm going to retire from this discussion. I said what I had to say. I do respect those with opinions that differ on this. I don't appreciate the personal attacks on me, I believe they are unwarranted. I stand firm on my belief that I think a little more time should be taken before the total annihilation of an individuals reputation. I also feel I have not been biased in my past dealings with Doug with regards to my research. I was the one that put the JIMs up on the site. I was the one that grabbed scans off Doug's site of the FF that he was selling that was a trimmed Ewert special and posted them on these boards, and even created the flow chart.

If Doug wants to come on and defend himself, he should. I can't and won't say any more. I consider you all my online friends and there has to be room for differences of opinion. When it gets personal, it's gone too far.

This is a hot button issue. Everyone is still pretty freaked out by the last six months of revelations. It's Doug's responsiblity to come on here and clarify if he feels the need. Otherwise, I guess he'll have to roll with the punches.

Brad

Red, I respect how you are sticking up for a friend in some areas here. But I am wondering if all your feelings on this issue would be exactly the same if the owner of Pedigree had been someone you did not know at all, even if you had still purchased some books off the site. My guess is that you would be more critical, judging by your past responses in other areas where we have seen unethical behavior.

I'm not knocking this "preferential" treatment, for all I know my bias would be changed if Doug was a friend of mine as well. It is human nature to defend a friend or relative, but it sometimes gets in the way of making a rational judgment or from having an unbiased point of view. But there is a bias here, and that bias holds true more with some than others. I've always thought that when judging a person's character, especially when it is someone you are close to, that it is best to first consider how you would look at the situation if the person in question was unfamiliar to you, and then act accordingly. Otherwise, it can reflect on your own character. Loyalty is a good thing, but is it always when the person you are defending is clearly showing a lack of character?