• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Latest Scandal! Comic Book Dealer Disbarred As Lawyer!!!!

1,034 posts in this topic

Can someone tell me if it's true that Doug cracked, improved , resubmitted and sold without disclosure? Anyone who does that in my opinion is ethically challenged. Anyone!

If you're going to take Doug down for being involved with pressing and resubbing, then you have to take down every dealer out there who does the same.

Burn 'em all. Boycott the chatboards if you feel strongly about it. CGC allows the game. These are just the players.

I'd boycott the dealers, not the boards. I'm asking a question and stating an opinion, if you don't like it why don't you boycott the boards? As far as CGC allowing it... well I feel that it's wrong for them to allow it and wish to see it changed.

As a reminder...Here's the e-mail Red produced about the subject comic...

I asked why didn't he reveal this to the Forum...

And now we're at this point because I asked Red why he didn't reveal this at the time...

Jim

Yeah, and Redhook also showed us that you were on the distribution list for that same email. You conveniently said you didn't get it. Doug conveniently says he forgot about the book. I guess this means your both lying.

Can someone tell me if it's true that Doug cracked, improved , resubmitted and sold without disclosure? Anyone who does that in my opinion is ethically challenged. Anyone!

As opposed to someone who,lets say,was disbarred?

The answer to your question is Yes.doug has done all of the above. Supposedly, if you ask him about it,he will tell you if the book is pressed or something.

If you're going to take Doug down for being involved with pressing and resubbing, then you have to take down every dealer out there who does the same.

Burn 'em all. Boycott the chatboards if you feel strongly about it. CGC allows the game. These are just the players.

So now pressing is OK?

Absolutely not! I hate it. Undislosed pressing is wrong. CGC allows it. I think they are dead wrong. Doug has admitted he's a fan of pressing and resubbing. Anyone on THESE boards who buys a book from him knows to ask, if it bothers them. At least you have that option.

Could he go further and note it on every book on his site that he has pressed? IMHO....YES! We have a better chance of changing his and other dealers minds if we keep the dialogue open instead of criminalizing them. It's a fine point I know....but give it a go.

You know....your comments remind me of a post Matt(restoman) made in the Silver Age forum:

I think there is a general consensus that many collectors would pay less, or not even want a book if they knew it was pressed. This obviously encourages sellers not to disclose pressing. There has to be trust on both sides of the table in order for disclosure to work. (I'm okay buying pressed books, you're okay telling me if it's pressed). As long as there are people crying from the mountaintops about how crooked it all seems to be, that trust will never be established.

Seems to me that people(yourself included) are starting to believe this propaganda. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You thinking I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person? That's gonna' be incredibly easy for me to live with. makepoint.gif

You still haven't explained what I was supposed to do about the scans that I didn't do. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Nuff said... makepoint.gif

Jim

He asked you a fair question, and this is your response?

Brent,

After some digging I found the email you sent me about the JIM 92.......

It's dated October 11, 2005.

Brad

Brad,

Look at the JIM #92 on pedigree's site. I sold it to Jason as a 9.2. He resubbed it and it came back 9.4. He put it up on Doug's site. I knew it was the same book but I couldn't figure out how the corners became so sharp since they were previously somewhat soft. I knew pressing alone wouldn't do it but I couldn't figure out how (within the parameters of the game) he did it. Now we know. Doug has been contacted to let his customer know about the book.

Also, Borock mentioned to Bob and on the boards that this has only been going on for 6 - 9 months. He bought the JIM #92 from me last November, so the time period may be much longer.

Brent

.... just for clarification.

As a reminder...Here's the e-mail Red produced about the subjecy comic...

And now we're at this poimt becaiuse I asked Red why he didn't reveal this at the time...

Jim

Reveal what? That Doug had a book on his site from Ewert that might have been a trimmed book?

That book was in a different slab than the one that was on Heritage? Can't you get this? I put it up on the COMICWIZ's site...THE SAME DAY! makepoint.gif

The book that was on the Heritage site was graded after that date. Like I said, the only one who connected the book to Doug, knew the book on Heritage was Doug's was Brent. Not me. Just admit you're wrong and we can move on. Again, your gripe is with Brent, who had all the facts three weeks ago and didn't reveal them. Not me.

And now we're at this point because I asked Red why he didn't reveal this at the time...

Jim

Yeah, and Redhook also showed us that you were on the distribution list for that same email. You conveniently said you didn't get it. Doug conveniently says he forgot about the book. I guess this means your both lying.

Nope...at least I have a vaild excuse and one in which I didn't update my website during the same timeframe. I was disconnected to regular internet access during the Sept-Oct timeframe because of moving. Webmail kept trashing e-mail I was receiving as a result. This wasn't the only important e-mail trashed during that timeframe... makepoint.gif

Jim

Jim

Nope...at least I have a vaild excuse and one in which I didn't update my website during the same timeframe. I was disconnected to regular internet access during the Sept-Oct timeframe because of moving. Webmail kept trashing e-mail I was receiving as a result. This wasn't the only important e-mail trashed during that timeframe... makepoint.gif

Jim

Gawd you are unbelieveably thick. What is the importance of the e-mail that was ignored. I got it and acted immediately by PULLING THE SCAN OFF DOUG'S WEBSITE AND ADDING IT TO THE EJAENTER SALES WEBSITE THE SAME DAY!!! makepoint.gif

HOW IS THAT IGNORING IT? This is the best case of self-immolation I've seen on the boards in recent memory.

HOW IS THAT IGNORING IT? This is the best case of self-immolation I've seen on the boards in recent memory.

It is all he has left Brad. Take pity on him willya?

Ze-

Thought you guys were going to retire and try to get back to being friends.

Let it go,already.

It won't be more than a few hours before another shoe drops,so back down and get some rest. You're gonna need it.

Thought you guys were going to retire and try to get back to being friends.

Let it go,already.

It won't be more than a few hours before another shoe drops,so back down and get some rest. You're gonna need it.

Hrrrmuummph!

Ze-

Instigate much? poke2.gif

Hey!!..see my earlier post when I tried to diffuse this mess. It fell on deaf ears.

Plus watching Jim keep posting like this is painful to watch. I want it to end..please make it stop..please? flowerred.gif

Ze-

Hey!!..see my earlier post when I tried to diffuse this mess. It fell on deaf ears.

Plus watching Jim keep posting like this is painful to watch. I want it to end..please make it stop..please? flowerred.gif

Out of my hands. I'm saving my energy for the inevitable FORUM IMPLOSION just on the horizon. wink.gif

Ze-

Out of my hands. I'm saving my energy for the inevitable FORUM IMPLOSION just on the horizon. wink.gif

I thought you were in charge of the lunch mob or something?...err I mean lynch

confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

Jim

Since all we have is your word to go on, and since you seem intent on not believing anyone elses...it's obvious that you're lying. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Ze-

confused-smiley-013.gif

Hmmmmmm.........lunch. cloud9.gif

Ze-

confused-smiley-013.gif

gossip.gif

Jim

Jim

Since all we have is your word to go on, and since you seem intent on not believing anyone elses...it's obvious that you're lying. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Nice try...I made it known here, numerous times, and on my website this was the case...

Jim

...it's obvious that you're lying.

Let's see if he floats!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Awe4one received the same email as Redhook about this book. Why didn't he do anything with this information? What is he hiding? I suppose it's just an "isolated incident" that he wasn't getting his emails at this time? Did he help trim this book and is trying to cover it up? What's the story, Jim? 893naughty-thumb.gif