• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Latest Scandal! Comic Book Dealer Disbarred As Lawyer!!!!

1,034 posts in this topic

I wanted you to say that! cloud9.gif

Who is the master now. sumo.gif

I'm not the one who said that. I just told you, I steal my thoughts from others.

I am the master! acclaim.gif

I'm going to assume you've stolen that last sentence from me. yay.gif

I'm not the one who said that. I just told you, I steal my thoughts from others.

Why would you assume that? There was no "bator" at the end of my sentence. makepoint.gif

Why would you assume that? There was no "bator" at the end of my sentence. makepoint.gif

mad.gif Truly you do have a black heart. makepoint.gif

mad.gif Truly you do have a black heart. makepoint.gif

As I've said before, that's a bit misleading...it's more of a dark brown. confused-smiley-013.gif

You decided to out him. You decided to take him to task. And announce his disbarment on a comic book chat board. And to lecture us about it. And to rip him to shreds. I've never seen a single more cold-blooded act on these boards since I've been here.

I'm not going to respond to the rest of this post, but on this point it looks like you forgot who started this thread. Aside from sharing the article (which was given to me by someone else), I showed it to a dealer to confirm it was Doug, a few other board lawyers, to you, and to Harry. If you want to be ashamed, direct it elsewhere. Personally, I don't really care whether you're ashamed of me or not because you're an unbelievable hypocrite.

Scott, you located the link to the the document on the web and disseminated it lightning fast in pms. If you thought it was important, why didn't you just post it yourself? Since it seems fair to put Doug under the harsh light of examination, lets get all the facts out in this one.

Mr. Woogieman read a reference to it in print. You found the link and started to pass it around. What your purpose was I don't know. Those are the facts. At least take responsiblity for your actions. You know as well as anyone that once you start passing material along like that, it's going to end up on the boards. Again, if you thought it was important, you should have showed some cahones and just posted it yourself.

I'm ashamed of the boards in general right now. Your particular two-faced actions and your denial of the facts is what I've come to expect of you. If I'm a hypocrite, say why exactly.

I defended a friend who I felt was being pilloried prematurely, before all the facts are in. As the facts continue to accumulate, people aren't in such a rush right now. They are still welcome to make their own decisions about these issues. If that's being a hypocrite, then I'm proud of it. Better than being Zeus on a chatboard who must be getting paid by the word.

Brad

Bill, for the record I have no gripe with your decision. I think you're evaluation of it being of importance basically to high volume consignors is dead on.

Brad

It was on the front page of a newspaper that circulates all thru-out NYC. I was aware of it myself and discussed it with several members of the board before it was putup here,by a member trying to attract attention to his site.

I feel,as do others, that it was important to ANYONE thinking of consigning books.

I'm curious,Brad,why do you think its more important to hi-volume consigners than anyone who consigns? I would think it would be easier to manipulate smaller consignments,thus they should be more aware.If,and I repeat if,a major consigner was ripped off or abused,news would circulate much quicker and more effectively than if ten no-one special consigners were treated the same.

Oh no! You said it! You accused me of avoiding the thread! Now I have to go right over there and answer all your questions or else people will think I am hiding something! Horrors! 893whatthe.gif

Not at all. Take your time...or don't post at all. confused-smiley-013.gif

Whether people respond is telling me just as much as how people respond in there anyway.

See, there you go with your brilliant subtlety again, not to mention a resort to reverse psychology. (We use the same kind of tricks on my dog to make him drop a tennis ball. We pretend like we don't care one bit about the tennis ball, and he drops it every time.)

Anyway, faced with this intense psychological manipulation, surely I won't be able to resist for long. hail.gif

sign-funnypost.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I see how this works, we start questioning the motivation of the people who posted the information and not the information itself. Politics 101.Where have I seen these tactics used before? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Misdirection at its best. Not that it wasn't expected... confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm not sure where the misdirection comes in.

The story was on the front page of a NY newspaper. Granted,not The Post or the Daily News, but one that gets a fairly large circulation.

Additionally,NY state has a website,open to the public,that detais which lawyers have complaints against them.

No one leaked some classified report,although I'd support them if they had.

That said,I think posting a teaser headline and directing people to another board to read the story wasn't very appropriate.Just my opinion. I'm not trying to take this bizarro case off on yet another tangent.

That said,I think posting a teaser headline and directing people to another board to read the story wasn't very appropriate.Just my opinion. I'm not trying to take this bizarro case off on yet another tangent.

Why wasn't it appropriate?

Shield,

I think it would have been better to post the entire story here,rather than a teaser headline and a link to the story. Thats my opinion. Doesn't mean its right,just how I feel. Didn't post it as a distraction,and this is the last post on that part that I will post.

I'll retract my 'not appropriate' statement,and rephrase it as 'its not the way I would have done it".Fair enough? If not,take a free shot as I won't respond.Theres too many digressions here already.

Shield,

I think it would have been better to post the entire story here,rather than a teaser headline and a link to the story. Thats my opinion. Doesn't mean its right,just how I feel. Didn't post it as a distraction,and this is the last post on that part that I will post.

I'll retract my 'not appropriate' statement,and rephrase it as 'its not the way I would have done it".Fair enough? If not,take a free shot as I won't respond.Theres too many digressions here already.

Well shadroch, I'm not offended by you saying it wasn't appropriate. I just wanted to know why you said that. In my defense, I have set up a chat board and modified it in response to the "Taking back the hobby" thread over here that many people were responding to. Someone from these boards sent me the link, and I read the story and got mad about it. I figured why not? It'll get more people active on my boards.

Did the story make you mad when you read it? Do you think someone who committed such acts with client's money should be imprisoned?

Okay,this I will respond to.as it is moving back towards the center of discussion

To answer your questions.

Reading your story didn't make me mad or shock me as I was aware of it beforehand.

Do I think doug deserves to go to jail over this? I think what he did must have been very bad to get disbarred but without the facts,I can't give an honest answer.Those with knowledge of all the facts felt his disbarment was the correct penalty.