• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mighty Chaykin

46 posts in this topic

Hi Brain! Thanks for the welcome.

I'm getting into 80's comics now... later issues of Moon Knight by Sienkiewicz, Jon Sable by Grell. Chaykin's American Flagg, then Power and Glory from the early 90's.

Also liking Marc Silvestri's art recently, so Wolverine, Cyber Force, The Darkness, and giving Hunter-Killer a try.

Just recently read through all 7 books of Sin City after seeing the movie. Great stuff. I tried to get into it in the 90's, but felt like I was coming in half-way through the story. So it's good to read them all at once.

Then I went back and re-read Miller's Dark Knight, and still impressed by that one. Also Daredevil, although it didn't bowl me over like when it first came out. He's a great storyteller... although I hear the new Batman by Miller is pretty bad.

John Buscema is a favorite of mine from the old school artists, also Joe Kubert and Gene Colan (Tomb of Dracula).

For new stuff again, I read 100 Bullets. The Counterfifth Detective TPB 5 was a good intro. I've read 3 more TPB's since then, and I like the series for character studies and the inventive art, but....I do find it slow. More action needed!

Just yesterday I picked up some old Teen Titans by Perez, and found I like his style again.

How about you and the others here, what are you into? I see you liked the Sin City movie.

I am into mostly Moderns, so I go every Wed. to see what is out. In the short-box is the following:

Astonishing X-Men(Whedon and Cassaday..great story and art in the classic X-Men style.) thumbsup2.gifhail.gif

The New Avengers(Bendis and Finch, now Bendis and Cho..good story and art.) thumbsup2.gif

All*Star Batman & Robin The Boy Wonder(Frank Miller + Jim Lee...I am liking it, others do not.) thumbsup2.gif... thumbsup2.gif

Green Lantern(read Green Lantern ReBirth, liked it, have been liking this, but may drop it.) confused.gif... confused-smiley-013.gif

Hunter/Killer(Waid and Silvestri, great art, interesting story from Top Cow, enjoying it.) headbang.gif

The Sentry(Jenkins and John Romita Jr., limited run to 8 issues, I have a soft spot for JR. JR.) 27_laughing.gif

DC's SOLO( one artist, many wiiters, or one artist as story-teller, DC's way Showing Talent.) 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Supergirl(Loeb and Churchill, great art, good story.) thumbsup2.gif

All*Star Superman(Grant Morrison + Frank Quitely... BUY THIS BOOK NOW!!!!! hail.gif893applaud-thumb.gifheadbang.gif

Ultimate Wolverine vs. Ultimate Hulk(Damon Lindelof and Leinil Francis Yu, good story and art.) thumbsup2.gif

The Ultimates(Miller and Hitch, modern day re-telling of the 'core' Avengers, great story and art.) cloud9.gif... 893applaud-thumb.gif

Wolverine(NUFF SAID.... THE BEST AT WHAT HE DOES!!!!!!) headbang.gif

Also pick up Wizard, and look for anything with good art and story, Stephen AKA The Brain.

Hey Stephen, thanks for the list of new stuff. I'll check some of these out.

I do like Finch, Hitch, Silvestri. I've seen a bit by Leinil Francis Yu, I'd like to see more by him.

I am enjoying SOLO, great idea to allow the artists to do their thing. I've seen Chaykin's and also Jordi Bernet so far.

Has anyone here seen Chaykin's work? And do you like any earlier artists Stephen, or all Modern stuff?

I just want Chaykin to have a leading man that is different from all his past leading men. And I want him to create some women that aren't all the same chick with a different hair color.

Chaykin's men are all mysterious loners who bag 10 chicks before breakfast, while the women are all gorgeous and easy, or if he wants to mix it up, they are dangerous, gorgeous and easy.

I just want Chaykin to have a leading man that is different from all his past leading men. And I want him to create some women that aren't all the same chick with a different hair color.

Chaykin's men are all mysterious loners who bag 10 chicks before breakfast, while the women are all gorgeous and easy, or if he wants to mix it up, they are dangerous, gorgeous and easy.

And if he REALLY wants to mix it up, they're dangerous, gorgeous and easy- and have penises.

Chaykin is hit or miss for me - I was unimpressed with the Challs mini - I missed an issue and didn't even realize it until I was putting them away. I liked American Century - and also his Blackhawk reinvention. Black Kiss was interesting - and had great covers, though it sort of fizzed out at the end. I'll give his work a once over, but don't always buy it.

Yes, he has been essentially writing himself as the hero since about 1974. Which makes him interesting in a way, and different from say, John Byrne, who is always drawing someone else as the hero.

Who are the modern writer/artists that you guys like? Individual creators who write and draw the whole thing.

As for 10 chicks before breakfast....well who hasn't experienced that? That's part of the realism of Chaykin's work. wink.gif

Chaykin is hit or miss for me - I was unimpressed with the Challs mini - I missed an issue and didn't even realize it until I was putting them away. I liked American Century - and also his Blackhawk reinvention. Black Kiss was interesting - and had great covers, though it sort of fizzed out at the end. I'll give his work a once over, but don't always buy it.

Challengers I think is pretty good, but was more like a warm-up, as I think that was his first comic in quite a while. I read an interview somewhere, where he said he was nervous about drawing, since it had been a while. But it came out well, and he found he was able to actually do some things better than he had before.

I wanted to read American century, but didn't since Chaykin wasn't drawing it. The story is good?

I guess we like different Chaykins, since I couldn't get into Blackhawk, and I felt Black Kiss was provocative, and daring for it's time, but somehow boring. Maybe it's the art. I agree nice covers though.

Writer/artists? Well, you'd have to dip into the Indys to find most of my faves. Guys like Morse, Naifeh, Chadwick, Doran (though, admittedly, I like the stuff she's done with others much better), McNeil, Shanower, Frank Miller... the list is long. =)

Welcome to the Boards. smile.gif

Always good to have another Bullets fan around. thumbsup2.gif

Yes 100 Bullets! Intricate plot, good character studies... so far I've read TPB's 2, 4, 5, and 8, so I haven't gotten the whole story, but I do like it. Plus #2 had a forward written by...Howard Chaykin! So there's the connection there. smile.gif

I wasn't a fan of the art at first, it's different, but it grew on me. I like how he puts in extra things to look at, characters doing things in the background, etc.

Which ones have you read...which stories are your favorite?

And if he REALLY wants to mix it up, they're dangerous, gorgeous and easy- and have penises.

laugh.gif Funny.

Writer/artists? Well, you'd have to dip into the Indys to find most of my faves. Guys like Morse, Naifeh, Chadwick, Doran (though, admittedly, I like the stuff she's done with others much better), McNeil, Shanower, Frank Miller... the list is long. =)

Can you give me some titles too?

Chadwick, was that Concrete? Shanower, ancient Greek comic?

Miller, of course. I liked Sin City and 300, but Dark Knight 2 I couldn't get into.

Yes 100 Bullets! Intricate plot, good character studies... so far I've read TPB's 2, 4, 5, and 8, so I haven't gotten the whole story, but I do like it. Plus #2 had a forward written by...Howard Chaykin! So there's the connection there. smile.gif

I wasn't a fan of the art at first, it's different, but it grew on me. I like how he puts in extra things to look at, characters doing things in the background, etc.

Get the rest of the trades, ASAP. So much going on in each arc, that you need to catch up on the rest. As you mention, lots of stuff going on in the backgrounds, and alot of that stuff moves to the forefront. I've read the entire series multiple times and get the book as a monthly, so I'm current on the entire story.

I'm a huge fan of Eduardo Risso's artwork. It's perfect for the book. I even own a few original pages from the series and had Eduardo do a commission for me last year. Check it out:

dizmeg03.jpg

Hard to pick a favorite arc, although I really liked the entire Trade #4 as that is when the "big picture" started to show. Also, being a big-time Raymond Chandler fan, I loved Counterfith Detective. Milo was a great character. Here's a page from that arc:

bullets32.jpg

Morse = mostly random Graphic novels. He has a style that doesn't do it for many folks. Soulwind, Visitations, Volcanic Revolver, Southpaw, Magic Pickle, Ancient Joe. Batman: Roomful of Strangers. Some Escapist stuff. I think he wrote Plastic Man (or something like it) for a bit. He also did the art on the first story arc of Sam Twitch...issues 1-6.

Naifeh = Courtney Crumrin, among other things.

Chadwick has had a few other things since Concrete, but Concrete is still his primary output.

Doran = A Distant Soil, plus she was the artist on Orbiter, The Book of Lost Souls, Reign of the Zodiac and the upcoming Stealth Tribes.

McNeil = Finder. She also did some art on Queen & Country.

Shanower = Age of Bronze.

That really is just the beginning of the list. There's others. Alex Robinson, Craig Thompson, and of course, Andy Runton!!!

Get the rest of the trades, ASAP. So much going on in each arc, that you need to catch up on the rest. As you mention, lots of stuff going on in the backgrounds, and alot of that stuff moves to the forefront. I've read the entire series multiple times and get the book as a monthly, so I'm current on the entire story.

I'm a huge fan of Eduardo Risso's artwork. It's perfect for the book. I even own a few original pages from the series and had Eduardo do a commission for me last year. Check it out:

dizmeg03.jpg

Hard to pick a favorite arc, although I really liked the entire Trade #4 as that is when the "big picture" started to show. Also, being a big-time Raymond Chandler fan, I loved Counterfith Detective. Milo was a great character. Here's a page from that arc:

bullets32.jpg

Very nice commission! I like how he uses shadows.

Yes I liked Counterfifth Detective as well. It was a good place to start as it can stand alone as a story, although with a few question marks... that made me read it again, and then go out and buy the other books to see what was going on! laugh.gif

I like the movies The Big Sleep and Maltese Falcon, also I've read a couple of Spillane novels.

From the covers and title, 100 Bullets sounds like there'd be more violent action, but it's more of a character/mystery/conspiracy story, with some action.