• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOP 20 COVERS OF THE COPPER AGE!

394 posts in this topic

What strikes me about all of these covers is how much the best copper age covers completely blow away the best bronze age covers. I guess that's to be expected, but I never really realized the disparity in overall wow value until I saw the best of bronze stacked up next to the best of copper.

Funny thing about copper is that I don't think that modern covers (post copper) can compete with the best copper covers either. There might be a few exceptions, but I can't think of many.

Good point. I always thought that about those covers too! They just jump out at you without overdoing it like the 90's books.

Thanks for posting the huge scan of the Moon Knight #24 - I think it might be my favorite cover of the coper age - it's beautiful! cloud9.gif

That whole run has awesome covers. Its always a toss up between the Werewolf Cover- which was already posted, the 24 - which I happened to have lying around and the 31 or 37 can't remember right now, with Moon Knight in the desert being attacked by a brigand. cloud9.gif

I'm proud and happy to say that I own one of the covers you're talking about. I would love to get the Werewold cover.... I know where it is, but it isn't for sale.

sienkiewicz-mk28.jpg

Thanks for posting the huge scan of the Moon Knight #24 - I think it might be my favorite cover of the coper age - it's beautiful! cloud9.gif

That whole run has awesome covers. Its always a toss up between the Werewolf Cover- which was already posted, the 24 - which I happened to have lying around and the 31 or 37 can't remember right now, with Moon Knight in the desert being attacked by a brigand. cloud9.gif

I'm proud and happy to say that I own one of the covers you're talking about. I would love to get the Werewold cover.... I know where it is, but it isn't for sale.

sienkiewicz-mk28.jpg

893whatthe.gifhail.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif In that order Hari.

It occured to me about a year ago that my two grail comic things are actually not comic books, but OA Covers. I was shocked by this epiphany to say the least. One is to get a Perez NTT Cover and the second is to get a Sienkiewicz Moon Knight Cover. For those two things I would sell off key comics I own - including the Pedigree books. For those that know me, that is saying a lot.

sienkiewicz-mk28.jpg

893whatthe.gifhail.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif In that order Hari.

It occured to me about a year ago that my two grail comic things are actually not comic books, but OA Covers. I was shocked by this epiphany to say the least. One is to get a Perez NTT Cover and the second is to get a Sienkiewicz Moon Knight Cover. For those two things I would sell off key comics I own - including the Pedigree books. For those that know me, that is saying a lot.

Not to change the topic of the thread, but the funny thing about Moon Knight covers is that they were relatively cheap even up to 3 years ago, when even the best ones could be had for 1500 bucks. Now, people have realized that Sienkiewicz's art was fantastic on that run, especially towards the later part where he got his own style. Some of those covers are the absolute best from the Copper Age, or any age for that matter. I'm certainly glad I found this one when I did. I'd love to get the Werewolf cover (black cover with werewolf's eyes, dripping b lood on the moon symbol)..... maybe eventually!

Best,

[quote

sienkiewicz-mk28.jpg

Yes!! Love that one. My favorite of the many great Moon Knight covers by Sienkiewicz. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Theres a ton of great Moon Knight covers. Why wasnt he more popular?

[quote

sienkiewicz-mk28.jpg

Yes!! Love that one. My favorite of the many great Moon Knight covers by Sienkiewicz. 893applaud-thumb.gif

In the beginning of his run, he was a Neal Adams clone. If you look at those issues, the art was exactly like Neal's style, even down to the stylistic panel composition and use of depth/perception. He didn't develop his own style until the issues in the late-teens, early 20s. That may have had something to do with it.

[quote

sienkiewicz-mk28.jpg

In the beginning of his run, he was a Neal Adams clone. If you look at those issues, the art was exactly like Neal's style, even down to the stylistic panel composition and use of depth/perception. He didn't develop his own style until the issues in the late-teens, early 20s. That may have had something to do with it.

Great cover you have there Hari, definitely one of Bill's best. thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

[quote

sienkiewicz-mk28.jpg

Then he left the book around issue 30. His style through these books was great, an edgy and exciting comic.

Then Sienkiewicz went off to New Mutants, Elektra, etc. where he really developed his unusual style...but for comic reading, his Moon Knight stuff here may have been the best, most enjoyable. Edgy and different, with flourishes of fine art, but not completely over-the-top and cartoony like he did after.

His later art I find distant, you look AT the impressive flat graphic design rather than getting INTO the characters.

[quote

sienkiewicz-mk28.jpg

Then he left the book around issue 30. His style through these books was great, an edgy and exciting comic.

Then Sienkiewicz went off to New Mutants, Elektra, etc. where he really developed his unusual style...but for comic reading, his Moon Knight stuff here may have been the best, most enjoyable. Edgy and different, with flourishes of fine art, but not completely over-the-top and cartoony like he did after.

His later art I find distant, you look AT the impressive flat graphic design rather than getting INTO the characters.

Which is why i wonder the series wasnt more popular?

[quote

sienkiewicz-mk28.jpg

Which is why i wonder the series wasnt more popular?

At the time, I thought it was popular, but maybe that was just me! confused.gifgrin.gif