• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hardest to get X-Man and JIM in high grade

27 posts in this topic

Just thought I'd throw this out there for my own personal information. I know that the rarest Spidey comic is #11. The rarest DD is #7. Rarest Avengers is #9 and Tales of Suspense is #49. OH yeah and FF is #13. But I never hear people talking about what the rarest X-Men and Journey Into Mystery comics are to get. You guys know what I mean by rare, any comic collector would want that issue regardless of what they collect just because it's a blue chip investment in high grade. Thanks for any posts in advance.

Ericc123

Hey Eric -

Hardest to find in NM, not overall, right? I wish I knew more about X-Men and Journey Into Mystery, but I've heard that X-Men #7 is hard to find for some reason...can anyone verify? Maybe I should have checked the CGC census for a fact-check before I start throwing out ideas. JIM under #100 seems awfully hard no matter what the issue number, and the famous #83 is often sought above an 8.0 but rarely found as I understand it. I'm sure there are JIM fanatics who can share good info here.

I like your other comments about rare issues in the Silver Marvel titles, too. As a big TOS fan, I'd throw in Tales of Suspense #43 along with the #49 (and #50, for that matter) as rare in high grade. I continue to look for a nice #49 along with Supapimp (whose misery seems even more pronounced than my own), having been trounced like a narc at a biker rally in recent TOS 49 high-grade auctions on Ebay. blush.gif

Dan

Hey Drummy nice to hear from you don't see you on the boards much. Yeah if anyone can confirm that X-Men #7 thing that would be great. As for the TOS #49 I'm sure it won't take a man willing to pay for a 9.2 FF #13 long to turn up a copy lol.

Have a good night,

Ericc123

For the last 2 years via the Internet (ebay, Manning, Heritage, etc), the rarest X-Men issue has been #11. I've seen three copies at 9.0 or above. I've seen two copies of #7 in the last MONTH.

Hard to talk about the JIMs...they're all pretty uncommon.

Similar to the JIMs, I'd say ALL the early TOSs are pretty scarce in high grade...

TOS was the first run I ever put together (39-99; but sold in college frown.gif )and very few turned up in high grade. The only really high grade ones in the run that I found under #65 were 46, 58 and 63. Mind you, I was like 14 or something and both my tastes and budget were less geared towards high grade.

In my estimation, aside from the census figures and merely quoting them as a reference, from experience, the toughest of each title to find in high grade (NM- or better) are:

X-Men: #5 and #8 (slight edge to the #5).

JIM pre #100: 84 ...post #100: 109

TTA: 27 no contest.

TOS: #40 (ever see a high grade?)

Spiderman: #7 followed closely by #11 unless you're trying to buy a #28!!!

FF: 7 and 8 followed by #13

Hulk: 1-6!!! (all of them)

I have put together runs of all of them myself - and the hardest and most expensive are x-men 5 and 11 and JiM 89 and 90. X-men 5 has a purple cover and it took me a long time just to get a 9.0. I have a 8.5 #11 and have seen 9.2s and above go for many, many multiples of guide! And Journey overall under 100 is very difficult - I have an 8.0 #89 and 8.5 90 because you never see them above that anywhere! i think Comiclink sold a 9.0 #90 for about $1000 recently and I think a 9.0 #89 went for about the same! I think that is triple guide for a 9.0! ToS under 50 is also nasty - for some reason 44 and 45 were the hardest! I have yet to locate a 44 above 8.0 and I paid double guide for a 9.0 #45.

Amazing Spiderman #11, I've had a number of 28's, 9.4 sold for $8000.

DareDevil #7

Fantastic Four #13, 7&8 are much easier to get

Journey into Mystery #89, you see the same copy being sold over and over on Ebay

Strange Tales #111

Tales of Suspense #49, I've had more 43's, the same with 40's.

Tales to Astonish #27

X-Men #11, 5 is also tough, 7 is not tough if you know where to look

I've had at least 3 109's in the last year. JIM #89 I've only seen auctioned.

I've also seen a couple of TOS #49's that I've bought and sold the same day.

Supa's right, I've submitted two copies of JIM #109 at seperate times & both came back 6.0! One was stunning & twice as nice as the other!! crazy.gif The highest I've received from my collection on the TOS #49 is a 7.0, the X-Men #11 got a 7.5 (beautiful/sold), any JIM pre #100 is tough, I didn't get above a 7.5 on any of these. X-Men #35 is tough as well in NM, but seems fairly available VF range.

Another extremely tough title to get anything above a FN is STrange Tales, especially #110 & 119. Received FN's on both.

ASM - Don't have a #11, but #28 (two VF's here, sold one) is tough, so is #15 (got a 6.0) & 27 (got an 8.5).