• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Ninanina "GRADE THEM HULKS" thread.

11 posts in this topic

I had wanted to get some input as to grading on the following Hulk 102 so...as per ninanina's suggestion here it is...

The top corners are problem areas here...top left=wear...top right=tiny smudge

hulk102front.jpg

Back cover...not too shabby...

hulk102back.jpg

VF

A nice looking book but wont that smudge in the URC bring down the grade quite a lot? I was more the 6.5 to 7.0 range ONLY because of the smudge. otherwise i would figure a lot higher. I may be way off base but I am thinkin F/VF at best. goodevil.gif

Araich, I am truly honored and by mere mention of my name I must take part in this. So....

What's unusual about this book is not the amount of damage to the corners, but the complete absence of stress cracks that you usually see along the spine with this amount of wear to the corners. In that respect, it's a bit tough to grade. With 7 or 8 stress cracks, you could easily give this comic a grade of Fine. Without them, I am inclined to go no higher than VF-. Let's face it, it's a Very Fine with an additional defect that detracts from the book's appearance by a perceptible amount. I think that definition in overstreet describes this book perfectly.

Do you think the storage conditions may have contributed to the unusual wear?

VF

A nice looking book but wont that smudge in the URC bring down the grade quite a lot? I was more the 6.5 to 7.0 range ONLY because of the smudge. otherwise i would figure a lot higher. I may be way off base but I am thinkin F/VF at best. goodevil.gif

I am the king of the world!!!

VF

I am the king of the world!!!

Nice call Doyle, but I bet it gets a VF- on a re-submission though. grin.gif

araich, thanks for letting us play. It's always a lot more fun when you know who wins.