• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shock SupenStories No.5 question on how tear effects grade.

10 posts in this topic

Question, how does a 3/4" cover tear effect the grade in this copy. It has a full length crease on back cover which to me makes it a 3.5 but at the center right cover edge it has a 3/4" tear repaired by one piece of tape on the inside. Cover tears and grading really confuse me screwy.gif

BTY thats not a corner missing on the back cover, just discolored from being folded back.

ss5.jpg

this book is a low grade so tears don't affect it as much as midgrades! books with such a tear that are otherwise high grade would be knocked down into midgrades! Within the realm of midgrade(3.5-6.5/7.0) a tear like this will probably affect the grade negatively by roughly one point in my opinion! Your book is about a 2.5 so the tear won't affect the grade as much at all! The comic has some nice qulities still and is collectible but just has too much wear to grade above a 3.0!

this book is a low grade so tears don't affect it as much as midgrades! books with such a tear that are otherwise high grade would be knocked down into midgrades! Within the realm of midgrade(3.5-6.5/7.0) a tear like this will probably affect the grade negatively by roughly one point in my opinion! Your book is about a 2.5 so the tear won't affect the grade as much at all! The comic has some nice qulities still and is collectible but just has too much wear to grade above a 3.0!

foreheadslap.giftrike that I was thinking of larger tears about 1.5 inches in length! A single 3/4 inch tear might not knock a high grade down into midgrade at all but it definitely would cost about a point or so! Midgrades would be penalized probably more like 1/2 a point to no points at all depending on whether it's a upper midgrade or lower midgrade grade! Sorry for the confusion!-Dave