• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Promotional Comic Books Here!!!!
7 7

865 posts in this topic

I've got a copy (of the MLK comic) that I've had since the early 80s. I'm pretty sure it's not counted among the 5 copies Overstreet lists. I sent that info to the folks at Overstreet last Fall, with a list of about a dozen unlisted plats and giveaways, but I'm not sure it ever got into the right hands, because none of them showed up in the latest guide.

Definitely submit the list again. I also gave them a list last year and many of the titles never made it in the Guide for some reason while others did. I intend to lobby for the inclusion of these books for the 37th edition. I'd love to see your list as well. Perhaps post it here or PM me.

As for the MLK book, no doubt there are more copies around. I have no idea where they got the idea that there was only 5 copies. I also came across a spanish version on e-bay recently.

I'll send you a copy of the pdf I sent them when I get home tonight. I'll also post the items that are pertinent to this list as I get the chance. In the early 80s, I bought a collection from a local guy out of a newspaper classified ad that had a random grouping of 40s to 80s comics, with a lot of giveaways. The guy said he had been an Overstreet advisor on giveaways, but I had never seen his name in any of the older guides. I held on to those books, and only realized recently that a bunch of them weren't in Overstreet.

Here's a few promos that I dug up :

From 1959, a pretty common book to find.

sa.jpg

This western is pretty tough to find. (from 1952)

rrgw.jpg

back cover has some usefull tips..

KLWBV-rrback.jpg

This one has no date or # and is not too pricey. Offers a nice little history lesson.

mm.jpg

Here's a sweet promo from 1951 with artwork by Dan Barry. I fell in love with the cover. It deals with the problem of inflation and also offers a list of advice on the rear cover as found on the roy rogers promo. It doesn't appear in overstreet.

soldierpromo.jpg

Another favorite of mine, also not found in overstreet.

smoke.jpg

That's all for now flowerred.gif Excellent thread by the way. thumbsup2.gif

Very nice books!

I especially like the Dan Barry book. thumbsup2.gif

I could bump this topic every day for the next three years - I keep saying I'll scan every promo I've got (1000+) and put up a website for all to enjoy - one day. I'll throw them here from time to time while I'm working on that...

this one's a quasi-comic, harder than hen's teeth to find in grade, gotta compete with model train enthusiasts (sheesh - why would anyone collect that junk?)

PS sorry guys, I'm editing this to take out the broken link, data issues, the image got blown away into cyberspace

Edited by Dr. Love