• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Promotional Comic Books Here!!!!
7 7

864 posts in this topic

I was ecstatic to pick up this copy recently via e-bay. Overstreet notes just 5 copies are known to exist.

MLK.jpg

I had search and notify listings out on this and missed this copy when a phone call came in. Then i saw two more shortly after, one in Spanish, and picked them both up, figuring that three in a row like that meant the rarity designation was b.s. But left the searches out there, and six months later, not one single copy has shown up.

Amazing how often it happens that scarce items show up several at a time and then are never heard from again

I had search and notify listings out on this and missed this copy when a phone call came in. Then i saw two more shortly after, one in Spanish, and picked them both up, figuring that three in a row like that meant the rarity designation was b.s. But left the searches out there, and six months later, not one single copy has shown up.

Amazing how often it happens that scarce items show up several at a time and then are never heard from again

Great book to own but Overstreet is wrong on the numbers in existence.

I see this book surface from time to time. This week alone had two copies

surface on eBay. I believe it is still a very scarce book.

9.4 with mailer

fine+

Agreed. Generally speaking it's hard to find in nice grade, but then nothing will make a sweet book surface faster than big $.

And now for your viewing pleasure...nice, eh? Dang these promos are hard to come by, you can't just show up at a convention and pick some up, it's a labor of love. Not that I get a commission from Steve F., but I noticed that Metropolis has a Pycopay up now, $585 for a VF-.

pycopay.jpg

Did this image ever appear? Is the host down?

Keep posting those oddball promo comics!

Jack

I could bump this topic every day for the next three years - I keep saying I'll scan every promo I've got (1000+) and put up a website for all to enjoy - one day. I'll throw them here from time to time while I'm working on that...

this one's a quasi-comic, harder than hen's teeth to find in grade, gotta compete with model train enthusiasts (sheesh - why would anyone collect that junk?)

gilbertsuperman.jpg

hey Jack, I edited out the broken link, one of those things. But now that you've given me an inch, and since Mark got the ball rolling with some of his honeys, I think I'll throw something on here every day. Bump and run.

pycopay.jpg
Superman ought to be arrested. He just happened to be spying on this household with his X-Ray vision. What kind of Action would he have seen if little Tommy hadn't have been in the room. wink.gif

Agreed. Generally speaking it's hard to find in nice grade, but then nothing will make a sweet book surface faster than big $.

[

Right you are. A new search on ebay turned one up. Probably right on scarcity. When you say something has only five copies, you're making a bold statement and should do so perhaps very cautiously. It's enough that a book is very scarce without prematurely calling it near unique (and five or less is more than just rare). I remember people thinking All-Negro had less then ten copies, then getting disillusioned when they heard there was 15 or so. Wow, a whole 15. Might as well consider it common.

I remember people thinking All-Negro had less then ten copies, then getting disillusioned

when they heard there was 15 or so. Wow, a whole 15. Might as well consider it common.

The psychology of the market seems to work that way. I have one book

(America Menaced) that I know of only two copies in existence.

If several other copies surfaced, I probably would feel that it is common dreck.

I remember people thinking All-Negro had less then ten copies, then getting disillusioned

when they heard there was 15 or so. Wow, a whole 15. Might as well consider it common.

The psychology of the market seems to work that way. I have one book

(America Menaced) that I know of only two copies in existence.

If several other copies surfaced, I probably would feel that it is common dreck.

America Menaced is one of those I have kept an eye out for quite a while and never seen. Along with a few others in the dirty-no-good-commie-red genre.

I was ecstatic to pick up this copy recently via e-bay. Overstreet notes just 5 copies are known to exist.

MLK.jpg

I meant to buy that Spanish copy and forgot to bid. foreheadslap.gif Went for dirt cheap. Glad it found a good home.

Basement Comics has a english copy for sale on ebay in his store for $350 or so. Definitely far more than 5 copies exist - clearly. How many? That I don't know. 20?

9.4 with mailer

fine+

You beat me to it! Never saw the mailer before. Nice.

100_1195.jpg

Sweet copy SAC! Where did you get this one?

I have a CGC 7.0.

Mine too, though this book (1938) is fresh as a daisy and looks much better (has some cover wrinkles and some foxing, that's mainly it) than a 7.0.

Just found it in Canada...68 years sitting in the original mailing wrapper. It's unread as the pages are still compressed together.

Amazing.

STEVE (Luvin' Larson)

100_1195.jpg

I have a CGC 7.0.

Mine too, though this book (1938) is fresh as a daisy and looks much better (has some cover wrinkles and some foxing, that's mainly it) than a 7.0.

Just found it in Canada...68 years sitting in the original mailing wrapper. It's unread as the pages are still compressed together.

Amazing.

STEVE (Luvin' Larson)

Beautiful copy and great find! 893applaud-thumb.gif

100_1195.jpg

I have a CGC 7.0.

Amazing.

STEVE (Luvin' Larson)

Steve, found it in Canada - sitting in Stew Silver's living room? I was waiting to bid on it, but if I'm not mistaken, then I guess it was you that sweet talked him into thinking he couldn't do better by letting the auction run it's course. Free world, free market, deep pockets win - but something about that backdoor dealing rubs me the wrong way. I'm old school, you put it up on Ebay, you let it run. If I'm totally off on this and it wasn't you, then accept my apologies in advance, wouldn't be the first time I make an orifice of myself.

You know what they say about making an ASSumption.... wink.gif

The Cocomalt was a relist after I already had by placed an offer on it several months prior. Stew tried to advise me via email, but I missed the auction. I quickly contacted him, and to Stew's credit we completed the deal that had already been previously discussed.

Them's the facts, so how 'bout giving me some love, Dr. Love...?

STEVE (Luvin' Larson)