• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Promotional Comic Books Here!!!!
7 7

864 posts in this topic

On 7/14/2022 at 2:56 PM, Qalyar said:

I'm really interested in hearing back once you get this, to know if the back cover is different or if there any other advertising elements. Harvey made complimentary copies of a huge array of issues, often for military distribution. And Charlton did quite a few as charity promos for the Cerebral Palsy Association (and perhaps others). But I don't recall seeing one of these from Archie before, and it seems the major comic databases haven't either.

Drumroll please…

The back cover was torn off. Front cover detached at top staple, tear at bottom staple, cover still attached there. Nice OW page quality, no indication inside as to what it was promoting.

On 7/20/2022 at 1:30 PM, iggy said:

Drumroll please…

The back cover was torn off. Front cover detached at top staple, tear at bottom staple, cover still attached there. Nice OW page quality, no indication inside as to what it was promoting.

Well, that's sad. Really was interested to see if the back cover had been replaced with a custom ad. It's possible that the only difference between this and the normal release is that line of text on the front, but looks like someone will have to find another copy for us to know.

Yeah, my first thought is that maybe the back cover was removed from all of them which may have lead to nearly all of them being thrown away (or becoming coverless) after being read.

Here's a comic that doesn't show up very often - Beetle Bailey #66. The series went to Charlton with the next issue, but unlike Phantom #29, this issue actually was printed. However, it is almost impossible to find and this is the first copy that I've seen other than an old eBay auction when I first started looking specifically for it a decade ago. I suspect that they had a contract to supply some to army bases and those were the only ones that were printed, but that's just a guess.

beetle bailey 66.jpg

On 12/27/2022 at 5:10 PM, kaculler said:

Here's a comic that doesn't show up very often - Beetle Bailey #66. The series went to Charlton with the next issue, but unlike Phantom #29, this issue actually was printed. However, it is almost impossible to find and this is the first copy that I've seen other than an old eBay auction when I first started looking specifically for it a decade ago. I suspect that they had a contract to supply some to army bases and those were the only ones that were printed, but that's just a guess.

Nice :)

Have you ever seen a complimentary #55, kaculler?

On 12/27/2022 at 12:41 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Nice :)

Have you ever seen a complimentary #55, kaculler?

I have a full run of Beetle Bailey now with the acquisition of #66, but I think my copy of #55 is just a regular copy, not a complimentary one.  I've never looked for a complimentary one, but will try to keep an eye out if it is one that you're looking for.  

On 12/27/2022 at 6:02 PM, kaculler said:

I have a full run of Beetle Bailey now with the acquisition of #66, but I think my copy of #55 is just a regular copy, not a complimentary one.  I've never looked for a complimentary one, but will try to keep an eye out if it is one that you're looking for.  

Cheers. It's just to confirm it exists really. I've been gathering examples and images and #55 is the only King missing. 

22 more promise books all CGC graded coming next week. Classic Marvel tales 95, 98 and Slave Girl #2 in 8.0.. Tech 112 in 8.5 with white pages...one of the more stronger Promise weekly auctions...

Edited by Mmehdy

On 1/27/2023 at 1:08 AM, Dr. Love said:

The Busters are a pretty big run.  Love to see a group shot if you've got the time!

They're scattered in different boxes, but if I can get them assembled at some point, I'll try to do this.

I don't collect much that reaches back to the Golden Age anymore. This book counts, if you squint a little, as it dates from 1955. Since copies were distributed for several years, this is arguably more of a Silver Age book, but, hey, it was printed before Showcase #4! Technically correct is the best kind of correct.

Anyway, these were given out to people who toured Nestle's Fulton, NY production facility.

PXL_20230227_154822189.thumb.jpg.c78fe69197e63d2fd0aa1646fe243a95.jpg