• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Spider-Man Prices

129 posts in this topic

Such is the NWO - NEW WORLD ORDER! CAN YOU DIG IT? SUCKA!

"New world order"...hee hee...sounds a lot like that "New Economy" claptrap

from a couple of years ago that got everybody into deep tapioca with their 401ks!

laugh.gif

Gene

Hey now, let's be nice here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=723682406

I was willing to drop $275 on this...obviously someone wanted it more...and those top 2 bidders are hardcore ASM/USM/X-men elite hi-grade "collectors"....nothing wrong with that if you have the money for it and want it that bad...

The 9.9 is 0.1 higher than the 9.8 on the grading scale wink.gif

"Stupid" only if you plan on flipping ASAP as you won't get much more in immediate return. But if its a keeper and you are a collector of numbers as well when it comes to your personal comic collection and you can easily afford it, then I can't/won't berate anyone who decides to do this. Making judging comments like "stupid" assumes that these high paying "elite" hi-grade collectors are seeing through your eyes and making calls on their bidding from your frame of reference. In their rationalization, it may be the smartest thing they did, considering the relative rarity of a USM 9.9. In all the hundreds of USM books I've submitted for prescreen, I've never gotten a 9.9 back from CGC. I own one 9.9 and it was bought for over $100..a USM 15....

If you can somehow select these higrade copies of USMs and submit them to CGC at your whim and get 9.9s each and every time, or even frequently, or at all, then I will admit that it is "stupid" to pay this much for a book because the 9.9 is relatively easy to replicate on this issue...

It's hard for me to understand as well, but hey people like different things smile.gif That's what makes this hobby unique & fun at times. laugh.gif I personally enjoy seeing the crazy prices those "mint" books go for. I always bid on Darth's books to get a peak at the auction end price shocked.gif

Point taken. I also would not place $400 over a difference of 9.9 to 9.8 save for your possible grail comics. If someone had a CGC 9.9 USM 1 white cover variant, I'd be dropping more than $400 over the current 9.8 FMV.

I usually prefer to "make" my own high grade costing me $15 - $30 with all costs factored in.

Yep, me too. I bid on most of the stuff that is listed on these boards, usually just to help out my fellow board members. I love a 9.9 as much as the other guy, but I think it's crazy to pay $450 for a modern comic that isn't even rare. But to each his own I guess. smile.gif

$460 for a brand new comic??? Pure stupidity in my opinion. If you can tell me the difference between it and a 9.8 copy, I'd be shocked!

Mah mama always tol' me, "stupid is as stupid does".

Not only is it idiotic to lay down that kind of cash for a brand new comic that isn't a key, why are people slabbing these unimportant books in the first place???? I don't care what the grade is - why even bother slabbing a USM #25??? Did they think Mary Jane was going to stay dead and this was going to be the next Spidey 121???

10 years from now, long after Bendis has left this title (if the book is even still being published), the book will Guide for $4 and a 9.9 copy will be worth a lot less than $460...

People are slabbing every single ULT Spidey book b/c the first seller that offers the 9.8 or higher of the latest issues gets the mucho bucks as you can see in the example wink.gif Once the CGC ULT Spidey collectors gets a hold of the latest issue slabbed cgc 9.8, then the prices drop drastically. It's just impatience on the initial bidders' part.