• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Number of "Ended Early" Auctions is Scary

5 posts in this topic

If you think anywhere but the CGC 9.6 and 9.4 level for Bronze and Silver respectively, is doing well, check out the sheer number of CGC 9.2 and lower auctions that are being ended early.

There are some people out there who obviously haven't followed up on current affairs and think that 10X Guide for a CGC 9.2 Bronze is still the order of the day.

That train has left the station, CI.... You call it a crash; I call it a moderation - but it has happened...

When will eBay do something about the 'early-ending' problem? It's supposed to be an infraction of auction guidelines. However, as someone posted before, eBay has no interest, and in fact replied that auctions can be ended anytime.

So, why spend gallery money? Why spend for a reserve? Why spend to highlight or use icons? Why spend to use an initial opening bid above default? Why spend for the BIN? What's to stop people from running, ending, re-running, ending etc until they like the end price?

Hey Doc. It was me who commented on this topic before. I have repeatedly asked Ebay about sellers ending auctions early, and they have repeatedly told me that the seller can end their auctions at any time they like. I had this happen just the other day, and I emailed the seller. He said he runs a retail store and the item had "accidentally" been sold at the store. Plausible, but my cynical nature doubts it.

So I made a suggestion to Ebay. I asked them to include a new line in every Ebay user's Feedback profile that would track their auction cancellations. I proposed that it be right under the "bid retraction" line and show up just like that line does. I mean, after all, isn't it really an "auction retraction"? This way we could track sellers with an inordinate amount of auction cancellations just as we do with bid retractions. And this would give the buyers concise evidence to use when reporting these abusers to Ebay. If you guys think this is a good idea, let Ebay know by clicking on the "site map" link at the top of any page, and go to the "Suggestion Box" at the bottom right of the page.

And, of course, I mentioned to Ebay that they must be losing literally millions of dollars in Final Value Fees to sellers who end their auctions early, so that might motivate them to implement some kind of change laugh.gif

I asked them to include a new line in every Ebay user's Feedback profile that would track their auction cancellations. I proposed that it be right under the "bid retraction" line and show up just like that line does. I mean, after all, isn't it really an "auction retraction"?

To me, it is the same as me deciding I've overpaid, and stiffing the seller.

The 'auction retraction' idea is a good one.

And, you're right, the fees lost ought to motivate them. As I said, why not just run a brownbag 25c listing, and re-list until you like the sale price? mad.gif