• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I break my holder to resubmiit a book?

35 posts in this topic

OK.

.I've never had the guts to actualy send back a book...mostly for fear of getting a lower grade....My question is from your experience...is it better to break the case and send it in raw...or send it back with the case.....I know they give you a $5.00 discount if you send it back with the holder...but do you think you have a better chance for an upgrade if they think its a new submission ??

Jonny D. confused.gif

First of all, I wouldn't break the case because it adds protection during shipping.

Second, CGC has made it clear that the graders do not know if the book is a resubmit. If you think about it this way, if CGC wanted to guarantee more resubmits, they would definitely grade your book at least one notch higher (if at all justified). I don't think they do this as I believe they are impartial.

Lastly, unless you plan on 1) getting a higer grade and 2) selling the book immediately, why would you want to resubmit now? Did you call and get the graders notes?

While I understand people's desire to have high grade books (I am a high grade collector), I do not understand the obsesion with trying to have a label say the book is a notch or two higher, unless you plan on selling. Regardless of what the label says, ITS STILL THE SAME BOOK. 893blahblah.gif

OK.

.I've never had the guts to actualy send back a book...mostly for fear of getting a lower grade....My question is from your experience...is it better to break the case and send it in raw...or send it back with the case.....I know they give you a $5.00 discount if you send it back with the holder...but do you think you have a better chance for an upgrade if they think its a new submission ??

Jonny D. confused.gif

Just resubmit it in the case. You get a discount and the grading procedure is the same.

I got the graders notes and they were pretty accurate..date stamp on back ..small chip on bottom back cover...which I can clearly see...but they also said spine stress and the spine is smooth as a baby's bottom....the book got a 9.4 on the pre grading and a 9.2 on the final...I know you guys hate to hear this but i am one of those obsessed ,anal , "got to be a 9.4 copy or better " kind of people

I,m not looking to resell the book and I already have a reading copy for the pleasure of the book itself...ButI still want a NM copy for a full run.

I figure in the long run this is cheaper than finding another raw NM copy..sending it in and still getting a low grade.

Jonny D.

Could you please tell us what book it was?

You are definitely obsessed with the label (and not the actual book). I absolutely understand upgrading (getting a better copy), but ITS THE SAME BOOK.

Don't take this the wrong way, but this is what is wrong with the hobby. I think CGC is a blessing for the hobby because I usually get a book that is close to the grade I think it is plus I get a restoration check. But the grade is their opinion, not an absolute fact, never will be. 893frustrated.gif

In my opinion, you should have taken the money you are paying for the regrade and bought another book. Then you would STILL HAVE THE SAME BOOK, plus added a book to your collection.

It's not about the money...It's not about buying another book...it wasn't even a key silver age book..Its simply I want my copy to be a 9.4 and to be the best on record..It was Wonder Woman #134 and it's only got a NM value of $75.00, though anyone who collects WW on a serious level knows you always pay multiples for any high grade WW book.

And don't tell me this is whats wrong with the hobby...a hobby is just that,....something you enjoy to occupy your time...you enjoy it your way...and i'll enjoy it mine....If your hobby was gardening, I wouldn't tell you you are ruining the hobby of gardening by planting white petunias and a true gardener only plants purple petunias...its absurd...

It's liike something my grandmother used to say..she would say "Jonny...there is a cup for every saucer"....then my grandfather would pull me aside afterward and say "Jonny,...if we all liked the same thing,...every man on earth would be boffing your grandmother...different is good"

I have been collecting comics for over 35 years...have over 4,000 unslabbed gold/silver/bronze dc books to enjoy....I respect the industry for all the great stories they have provided us over the years... rantpost.gif

It's not about the money...It's not about buying another book...it wasn't even a key silver age book..Its simply I want my copy to be a 9.4 and to be the best on record

I rest my case!!!

Your copy is THE SAME BOOK regardless if it gets a 9.2 or 9.4. It was graded as a 9.2. You are fixated on the label and not the book (and that IMO is bad for the hobby).

Let's say that CGC actually used an invisible coding on their books and that you couldn't resubmit the book. Would you sell it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And if you do get a NM 9.4 (I hope you do), what happens when a 9.6 hits the census. Are you going to sell your 9.4 and get the 9.6. Would you acknowledge that if you sold 9.4 and got a 9.6, there is a possiblity that in your eyes the 9.4 was actually a better book than the 9.6?

I think many board members would agree that as "collectors", they would rather have a 9.2 book with no manufacturing defect, than a 9.4 that's miscut and that doesn't have anywhere near the eye appeal. Yes, if you are going to sell the book you would rather have the 9.4 as it almost definitely sell for more.

Go rent the movie "Shallow Hal".

To answer some of your questions...right now the highest grade on the book is a 9.2...so if it got graded a 9.2 again...I would keep it.....If a 9.4 shows up later on ..I would sell it.

I will always keep a 9.4 no matter if there are higher grades on the census...

And bud...you don't know me well enuf to judge me as being shallow....

I would not publicly judge you...even though I have a strong opinion of you.

Jonny D.

To answer some of your questions...right now the highest grade on the book is a 9.2...so if it got graded a 9.2 again...I would keep it.....If a 9.4 shows up later on ..I would sell it.

I will always keep a 9.4 no matter if there are higher grades on the census...

I would not publicly judge you...even though I have a strong opinion of you.

Jonny D.

is it popcorn time? popc1.gif

Hey Jonny! I think Filosa meant Shallow Hal as a reference to judging the book by the label, the way Hal judged the women by their exterior. I don't think he was actually calling you "shallow" - but if he WAS trying to do that - well - grrrrr.

makepoint.gif

First of all, I'm just playing with you.

Let's face it, we all collect comics books. That's actually pretty Shallow. I could be out volunteering to help the homeless, instead of looking on eBay trying buy a comic book.

So I'm not trying to judge you.

The really point was this:

I think CGC is great for the hobby but:

You, many other collectors and even myself are allowing them (CGC) to tell me what is beautiful and the best. CGC doesn't not take into account many manufacturing defects, yet if you asked most collectors on this board they would say that eye appeal really is the most important thing in a book (as a collector).

It's the same thing with restoration. Because they disclose it, people shy away from purple and even green labels. But if you really thought about it, the grade of a book should really be the grade of the book if there was no restoration.

Example, a VG book with no restoration sells for the same price as a VF book with "a small amount of color touch". Yet if the color touch had never happened, the book would probably be a VF-. OK, the VF restored book has had something small added to the book. Yet, the VG book has had many things subtracted from the book, yet that is better? Heck, there probably tons of dirt and ink transfers on the back cover thats been added but thats not restoration.

Just trying to point out that while I love the fact that there is a third party grading service, I would prefer to use it as a tool in my collecting and not the "TRUTH" about what is "beautiful or the best".

rantpost.gif

I would, and have done, the same thing. If one of my raw books comes back a 9.2, I'll sell it or trade it. Need that 9.4 or else it has to go.. frown.gif

Brian

Thanks for standing up Brian...Theres nothing wrong with wanting to have a great run of books..it doesn't make you the ant-christ.

Jonny D.

However..for INVESTMENT puposes I will follow that decision on what is beautiful and strive for the highest grade possible......doesn't mean I agree with it or condone it......I'm just going to run with it...

Jonny D.

I totally understand your desire to have the best.

Another scenario:

You go to a convention and see a 9.4 book that you have to have. Now the price is higher than you would like to pay. You walk around and see three more 9.4 of the same book.

Do you:

1) Buy the least expensive copy knowing that when it comes time to sell you will probably get the same sale price since all the books are 9.4's.

2) Buy the copy that has the best "Eye Appeal" regardless of price.

Point:

Are all 9.4 equal in your eyes, and if not,is it possible that a 9.2 could actually be a nicer, better book than a 9.4?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Best eye appeal, unless of course that book is priced way way off the other copies you've seen and what you think is fair market. I'd be willing to pay extra for good eye appeal, up to a point...

Brian