• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I break my holder to resubmiit a book?

35 posts in this topic

I would buy the best looking one providing the price wasn't outlandish......e.g. like the prices that PCE try to get....However,...if I know that is the only copy available and its been that way for a while...I would eventualy bite the bullet and buy it.

Jonny D.

Yes, I would agree that I would buy the one with the best "Eye Appeal".

Now:

1) Would you definitely buy a 9.4 that didn't have great "Eye Appeal" or buy a 9.2 with great "Eye Appeal" AND you have no idea why the 9.2 didn't get a 9.4? And of course, the price of the 9.2 is way less than the 9.4.

Also johnnydouble, you live in Richmond so you gotta be a good guy. I grew up there and visit my parents their several times a year. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I'd buy both and resubmit the sharp 9.2 to try to get a higher grade ...but keep the ugly 9.4 as a backup....once I got a better 9.4 I would sell that ugly 9.4.

Jonny D.

Great question Brian. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I forgot all about the date stamp issue.

To both of you:

Would you rather have a 9.4 with no date or a 9.6 with a date stamp?

If you say the 9.4 then you don't own the best copy.

Also Johnny D. , kinda a cop out saying you would buy both. Let's assume that you can't afford both at the time. Which one, the 9.2 great eye appeal or 9.4 without great eye appeal.

I would buy the 9.4, I never said I have to have the best...I just have to have a NM or better. As for the last situation, I would avoid both. I've resubmitted before but I just don't want to take the time to resubmit again.

Brian

I'd buy both and resubmit the sharp 9.2 to try to get a higher grade ...but keep the ugly 9.4 as a backup....once I got a better 9.4 I would sell that ugly 9.4.

Jonny D.

"to try to get a higher grade"

That kills me. Like CGC changing the .2 to .4 somehow changes the comic it self.

Comic Buyer: "A 9.2? $200? No thanks, I only collect 9.4."

Comic Seller: "Ok, let me resub it and I'll let you know what it comes back as.

3 months later......

Comic Seller: "Great news! It came back a 9.4! Only $400 and it's yours.

Comic Buyer: "Cool! I'll take it!"

lol The entire concept of label colleting just kills me. smile.gif

Thing is you're missing the whole point.....I have the book already...chances are I bought it off the newstand when I was 10...I can remeber where I bought it.....what the weather was like...what I did in school that day...and how it made me feel when i read it......its dog-eared...spine split.....and smells like mold....but I wouldn't sell it for anything...cause that's what counts.

Slabbed books...are a whole nother animal......they just don't mean anything to me...I just want the highest there is.

Jonny D.

[slabbed books...are a whole nother animal......they just don't mean anything to me...I just want the highest there is.

quote]

Remember in an early post I said something being wrong with the hobby and you got defensive? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well at least you are both consistent. You buy the label before the book.

That whole line of questioning looks like it was orchestrated to culminate in the above statement. It is an unsettling feeling.

A little Perry Mason tactic! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Well at least you are both consistent. You buy the label before the book.

That whole line of questioning looks like it was orchestrated to culminate in the above statement. It is an unsettling feeling.

A little Perry Mason tactic! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Oh - and you've been replying INSIDE the quote box - remember to get your cursor PAST the final quote indicator then hit the return key once or twice to add a nice little bit of padding.

Great question Brian. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I forgot all about the date stamp issue.

To both of you:

Would you rather have a 9.4 with no date or a 9.6 with a date stamp?

If you say the 9.4 then you don't own the best copy.

Also Johnny D. , kinda a cop out saying you would buy both. Let's assume that you can't afford both at the time. Which one, the 9.2 great eye appeal or 9.4 without great eye appeal.

Even date stamps have appeal to some. I collect Bethlehem pedigree books so if I had to choose between a normal 9.2 and a Beth 9.2 to me there is no contest (I will take that lovely red stamped copy every time).