• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1000 Dells 1940-1950

57 posts in this topic

#1 - I want that Pogo #8. That is suitable for framing. How much is that, like five bucks? smile.gif

To take a page from my old LCS when a collection like this would come in: "I got tons of this stuff in the basement (he didn't), I can't do any better than a buck a book for this. Wish I could do more, but nobody wants it. Yeah, so you say it's work $15K in the guide? The guide doesn't mean anything (probably true, but he had ready buyers for most of it at 30-50% of OPG), this stuff has really tanked over the last few years, demand is dead." foreheadslap.gif

Well, most of this stuff *IS* overpriced in Overstreet, not that these aren't wonderful comics, and perhaps should be worth what Overstreet has them marked at. Part of the problem is that there are lots of Dells out there, and lots of mid-grade and lower grade stuff. Plus, there aren't as many collectors for, say, Walt Kelly comics as there are for Superman or Timely books. It is a bit odd when you consider a sixty year old comic with a major character like Bugs Bunny can be had for less then $10 in VGish condition when a new comics is at least $3 these days.

sure, any smart dealer explains that OPG isn't reality, because it isn't, but that doesn't mean the books that is $75 in OPG is only worth a buck wholesale when the shop owner can quickly and easily sell it for $25-$35. granted, things would average out with the inevitable $5-$10 books in these collections, but he still made out like a bandit quickly unloading it to his regulars for 50-30% off OPG rather than pricing it all at guide and waiting forever.

(I only made the comment because he did have a strikingly similar collection of Dells (with a sprinkling of 1940s DCs and Miscellaneous) walk in the door, except with a lot more of the pre-100 WDSCses (several of which are now in my ebay store!).

With that said, nice books!! And while the market might be limited, that Pogo will sell any day of the week (preferably to me, for five bucks).

With that said, nice books!! And while the market might be limited, that Pogo will sell any day of the week (preferably to me, for five bucks).

$6 devil.gif I could use an upgrade on my copy

Shessh, $10 for me. 27_laughing.gif.

Shessh, $10 for me. 27_laughing.gif.

$12 sumo.gif

What really set this collection apart was the bound copy of New Funnies 66-77, and the Funnies 64 (first Woody Woodpecker). There are tons of mid grade Dells out there but this type of thing is only found from a long time collector (who knew the deal) and he was basically cashing out. Thoug he still kept his Underground comic collection.

The other kicker was the Sunday newspaper sheets which I bought as an afterthougth since I didn't know anything about them and basically discounted them in my head. There were 500+ Mickey Mouse Sundays from 1932 to 1941. That kind of thing adds up even at $3-5 a piece. In the end I bought everything for what I thought was 60-65% of value (not guide) and probably it came out to 50% of value, mostly because of the newspaper sheets.

The collection had been "cherry picked" at some point in the 80's as there were no Barks Ducks nor pre 100 WDCS or other very early Disneys. Still plenty of leftovers for poor little ol' me.

Those New Funnies are hard, and something that most collectors wouldn't notice. Some of the early Four Colors can be quite pricey as well, but if the collection had been cherry-picked I am sure those were gone.

Those newspaper strips are interesting, I saw them when you listed them on ebay. Those early Mickey's are quite good, but I don't need to be starting to collect those now too. 27_laughing.gif.

Just another general question for anyone out there that I have been wondering about. I've read about various people here buying collection but I wonder how does one get in a position to buy a collection if you aren't a "dealer"? I've seen people come into various comic book stores with bags of old comic or to comic conventions, but if you aren't a dealer how do you "get in the loop" to buy these collections as I know from some conversions that I've overheard that I would have paid more for some of the older "kiddie" books that the dealers ended up offering?

Ads in the paper? Word of month? Business cards all over the place? Just being know as the local "comic guy"? What is the secret?

It is a bit odd when you consider a sixty year old comic with a major character like Bugs Bunny can be had for less then $10 in VGish condition when a new comics is at least $3 these days.

I've talked this over with a few people too and it just seems surprising that Bugs Bunny is such a popular character, and yet they won't sell for much, if at all. Seems like there's some kind of disconnect there. Disneys have constant demand compared to Looney Tunes characters and this is not including the Barks issues.

Is it maybe because the WB cartoons were more "successful" than Disney shorts so those characters are thought of more as tv characters and the voice/sound is more important? Whereas Disney is more of a comforting vibe and always more successful on the newsstands? Which now carries over somewhat to back issue collecting?

Marc confused.gif

I've also wondered that for a while and thats what got me into collecting the Bugs and Porky comics. I think Barks has quite a bit to do with it as that gets folks into the series and then the completionist takes over. Also, Disney and Barks were part of the beginning of comic collecting. Even in the 60's and 70's FC 9 was one of the highest valued comics out there. MOC 4 and the Kite books used to command top tier prices. These prices probably were driven by Geppi and others of that era and have slowly drifted downward as nobody replaced those old time Barks and Disney collectors.

Come the 80's and the Warner Brothers collectors seemed to spend all their money on animation cells and other limited edition prints (these latter will join the ranks of Beanie Babies in wasted money). Somehow the comics got overlooked. Anything in high grade VF or better will command premiums but the average VG and Fine get maybe a couple bucks each.

isn't the disney/duck stuff really popular in Europe? (and maybe WB not so popular?) i always hear about all these european collectors buying up this stuff, although i've never had a nibble from a euro on the various barks ducks I've had up.

i have to say I'm fond of Bugs and have a bunch of those 50-60 y.o. VG comics I've picked up over the years, mainly pre-ebay. probably not good investments, but I usually tried to pay enough under half guide that I probably haven't been killed too badly.