• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do any of you own "1 and only OR" top census books??

100 posts in this topic

Last one for today. The one and only 9.4, the next highest graded is a 9.0. This book, along with the Burntboy Atom 10, is the nicest 9.4 I've ever seen, and have no doubt that it would become a 9.6 if I resubbed it.

adventure317.jpg

Awesome books, Tim. Those Flash are incredible. Adventure with the LOSH has always been one of my personal favorite titles. I think they are also extremely hard to find in HG also, so seeing that PC Adventure is a real treat! Do you have more of those great looking Legion books? 893applaud-thumb.gif

— Rick

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I'm amazed at all the miscut books with these high grades. Just my opinion, but I think anyone shellin out huge dollars for any CGC graded book should take page quality and centering into consideration. Until CGC came along, both these attributes had to be considered before grading any book. They've decided to ignore this but I don't think over time this will hold. I remember a 9.8 SHowxase 60 on Ebay a few years back that was miscut and I believe it went or was reserved at $10,000, I recently bought a 9.6 perfectly centerd with ow/w pages for $1600 and it's a prettier book. I know a lot of you don't care that much about the cut, but having had my share of high grade collecter's over the years, I can tell you that there are a lot that do care. Likewise with page quality. How can any 9.6 or 9.8 have creamy pages? Already on Pedigree and comiclink I see price differences within a grade based on pages and centering. Will there come a day when a perfectly centered 9.4 with white pages be worth more than a miscut cream to offwhite 9.6 of the same book? I think so as more buyers are looking at the boos not just the grade.

keith contarino

Hey Tim,

I was wondering when you would post those Flash's.....Unbelievable copies.

Anytime you want someone to take them off your hands let me know! grin.gif

poke2.gif

takeit.gif

Steve

When are you going to post your #143? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Just my opinion, but I think anyone shellin out huge dollars for any CGC graded book should take page quality and centering into consideration.

If there's a choice, I think most people do. But for a lot of these books, there is no choice. I should pass on a gorgeous NM/M Showcase #38 because of a slight miswrap in the hope that a perfectly centered copy of equal or approximate grade will appear someday?

Until CGC came along, both these attributes had to be considered before grading any book.

Keith, perhaps you're speaking as someone who had the luxury of seeing books in person before deciding to buy. As someone who was reliant on mail order dealers, I didn't have that luxury. I can safely say that other than PCE, I don't recall ANY of the big mail order dealers in the old days EVER mentioning page quality in their descriptions, except for GA books with really bad pages, and I can definitely say that NONE of the item descriptions EVER talked about centering.

Will there come a day when a perfectly centered 9.4 with white pages be worth more than a miscut cream to offwhite 9.6 of the same book? I think so as more buyers are looking at the boos not just the grade.

Sure Keith, and as soon as you start showing me multiple NM copies of early SA DCs, I'll be happy to pick and choose to get the best centered books with the whitest pages. You'll pardon me if I don't hold my breath in the meantime. poke2.gif

Well said Tim. Especially DC's are more tougher to come by as some of the books you have displayed here show that.

I will post that 143 in a little bit which is another example of a tough to find book in high grade, though not as "old" as your early Flash's.

Steve

I will post that 143 in a little bit which is another example of a tough to find book in high grade, though not as "old" as your early Flash's.

Yes, but it's a "1 and only" of a relatively late copy that is notoriously difficult to find in HG. Every now and then I look at the scan that you sent me and I do this: Christo_pull_hair.gif It seriously needs to be in my collection!

Just my opinion, but I think anyone shellin out huge dollars for any CGC graded book should take page quality and centering into consideration.

If there's a choice, I think most people do. But for a lot of these books, there is no choice. I

Sure Keith, and as soon as you start showing me multiple NM copies of early SA DCs, I'll be happy to pick and choose to get the best centered books with the whitest pages. You'll pardon me if I don't hold my breath in the meantime. poke2.gif

You're missing the point. I have, I think, the highest graded All Select 11 and it's a 9.0 with cream to off-white pages.(oops, there's 1 9.2) That's not the kind of book I'm talking about. Likewise early DC's like Adventure 210, war books etc. But Showcase 55,56,60,61 Brave & Bold above 60 and most Marvels after 1963 are much easier to find. FF 48's a great example. 9 9.8's and over 100 9.4/9.6. And yes, I was a mail order and convention dealer for 30 years. When high grades started to go nuts in the early 90's, I can assure you page quality and centering made a huge difference. I got in a rather testy argument over the Bethlehem book and many had either bad pages or dust shadows. When I got hold of the Western Penns ( no, not all of them but literally 100's including runs of Atom, Hawkman, and Aquaman) what made them exceptional was the brightness and whiteness of the books. PCE grading scale made little sense and they were famous for ignoring Marvey transfer stains even on white cover books. I remember selling a lower graded FF Annual 2 in New York because the higher graded one had a transfer stain. We're talking apples and oranges. You're right about the truly rare books