• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Foxy Iron Man #55

22 posts in this topic

I have owned a few of these. For some reason I find them a little tough too grade, if not in hand. I would say a solid 6.5 with a 50 - 50 shot at 7.0 It is a tough book too find in high grade. It was a read and abuse book until Thanos et al. took off and became popular. As it is now I have a CGC 9.6, Raw 6.5 - 7.0, one more HG on the way. Owned the PGX top census book a 9.4 A nice addition to your collection..

Thanos is one of my favs...but jeez. Are yo a freak or something? stooges.gif How many copies do you need? 27_laughing.gif The cover isn't even a good one. Just the 1st app of a good character. I just sold my 4.0/4.5 copy today to cushion my CGC 7.5 copy I got last night.

I tend too get multiples of book's that I like. One mid grade reader, one HG Keeper. One HG too trade for something else. Anyone else here do anything similar too what I do, owned copy wise? BTW the top Census PGX 9.4 of this book, I bought off of Ebay. It was advertised as a 9.2 raw.

Extensive staining (foxing) 5.0 sumo.gif

Yeah... I could give a 60 year old GA some slack for foxing... but I would crucify a Bronze age book with heavy foxing. I believe CGC would as well.

7.0 structurally, but the foxing takes it down to a 5.0.

frown.gif

Yeah... I could give a 60 year old GA some slack for foxing... but I would crucify a Bronze age book with heavy foxing. I believe CGC would as well.

frown.gif

CGC doesn't hammer foxing NEARLY that bad. Do any of you remember Greggy's Unexpected that he posted in one of the grading contests? The foxing was just as bad as on this issue and it got like an 8.0 or 8.5. I was shocked. I would give this one a 6.0/6.5. confused-smiley-013.gif

frown.gif

CGC doesn't hammer foxing NEARLY that bad. Do any of you remember Greggy's Unexpected that he posted in one of the grading contests? The foxing was just as bad as on this issue and it got like an 8.0 or 8.5. I was shocked. I would give this one a 6.0/6.5. confused-smiley-013.gif

I agree. The only place you really don't see foxing is in the 9.0+ area. And even then on GA books there is often a few spots.

frown.gif

CGC doesn't hammer foxing NEARLY that bad.

You may be right in regard to CGC, but that doesn't change the fact that I would give this book a 5.0.

Is there anyone here that -- if you bought this sight unseen as a CGC 6.0/6.5 -- would be happy with the book?

If I bought a Bronze Age 6.5 with foxing like that I'd probably be tempted to smash the slab into a million overgraded pieces. 27_laughing.gif

Personally I agree with you, and I think the book is a low fine. CGC doesn't agree (and probably not OSGG either) and they have set the rules for the current market, like it or not. If I got a 6.5 in the mail looking like that I wouldn't be happy, even though the front cover still looks pretty nice. confused-smiley-013.gif

frown.gif

You may be right in regard to CGC, but that doesn't change the fact that I would give this book a 5.0.

Is there anyone here that -- if you bought this sight unseen as a CGC 6.0/6.5 -- would be happy with the book?

If I bought a Bronze Age 6.5 with foxing like that I'd probably be tempted to smash the slab into a million overgraded pieces. 27_laughing.gif

We don't need no stinkin' CGC! 27_laughing.gif

This is not by any means light foxing. It severely detracts from the overall eye appeal of the book. It should also be isolated from other books in a collection. I, for one, would not even keep it in my collection. devil.gif

Btw, I also cannot stand books that smell insane.gif

Personally I agree with you, and I think the book is a low fine. CGC doesn't agree (and probably not OSGG either) and they have set the rules for the current market, like it or not.

Yup. Unfortunately, the CGC mentality has taken hold and many collectors turn a blind eye to things that were previously considered flaws in any grade -- foxing stains, dust shadows, bindery tears, dirty back covers, horrible miswraps and miscuts, etc, etc.

Yet, one of the most innocous of flaws -- a light non-colorbreaking bend from a spinner rack -- has turned into a grade killer.

Go figure. confused-smiley-013.gif

frown.gif

This is not by any means light foxing. It severely detracts from the overall eye appeal of the book. It should also be isolated from other books in a collection. I, for one, would not even keep it in my collection. devil.gif

this book doesn't smell believe it or not. I was just asking for a grade as i'm not sure how foxing affects grades. I have no plans to sell or "stick" someone with this book (believe it or not divad, you can still read it), the post was for educational purposes. If you don't want to be constructive divad, then please just troll. 893naughty-thumb.gif

frown.gif

this book doesn't smell believe it or not. I was just asking for a grade as i'm not sure how foxing affects grades. I have no plans to sell or "stick" someone with this book (believe it or not divad, you can still read it), the post was for educational purposes. If you don't want to be constructive divad, then please just troll. 893naughty-thumb.gif

All of my comments were constructive makepoint.gif And the "smell" comment had nothing to do with this book . . . so stick your little 893naughty-thumb.gif