• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this a scam?

20 posts in this topic

I recently listed a high dollar Disney glass with a BIN of $285. I received this question this morning. It seems fishy to me but I don't see really where the catch is. What do you think?

Bob

To: bobpfef

Item: Minnie Mouse Sports Athletic Series Tennis Glass Disney (6613929978)

Subject: Re: Question for item #6613929978 - Minnie Mouse Sports Athletic Series Tennis Glass Disney

Q: Hello seller, I am really in need of this item and i need it fast,cos one of my customer demand for it and she need it urgently,please is the item in good condition ?if so i will buy it for $290 with money order.What i will do is that i will give you an excess money,so that you will be able to deduct your item fees and the shipping fees and send the remainder of the money to me via western union,and ship the item as well,if you can do this send your name and address as soon as you receive this mail so that the payment can be send to you fast, include your emil address.Please i need a reliable seller,thanks

That's one of the biggest scams around. Buy something, send a big fat fake/stolen/forged MO over, and get the recipient to send the balance back via Western Union (always WU, not a check, MO or other method).

Then a few weeks later, your bank calls and tells you the MO did not clear and you now owe them $X,XXX.

Think about it for a second, why in the world would anyone buy a MO for $2K when the item is only $290? And why would they trust you to send the rest back?

Could be on the up and up but it does sound fishy to me as well. The big red flag popped up when he mentioned western union. WU is always used in scams. Don't see why he doesn't just buy the item now and pay the extra with whatever method you requested. You can always charge for express mail through your invoice. And if he really needs it that fast why doesn't he just pay by Paypal (if you offer that option) Then its a done deal in one day and you can ship it right out to him...I wouldn't do it. Just too darn fishy.

SCAM. SCAM. SCAM. SCAM.

this is the second most popular scam in the world, right behind the "Nigerian letter."

stay away. you will regret not doing otherwise

That's one of the biggest scams around. Buy something, send a big fat fake/stolen/forged MO over, and get the recipient to send the balance back via Western Union (always WU, not a check, MO or other method).

Then a few weeks later, your bank calls and tells you the MO did not clear and you now owe them $X,XXX.

Think about it for a second, why in the world would anyone buy a MO for $2K when the item is only $290? And why would they trust you to send the rest back?

I wasn't familiar with this type of scam until reading this thread. Should one only accepts WU MO? What about a USPS MO? Any others?

Jees, Paypal isn't safe, MO aren't safe, you can't just ask for cash...selling's getting pretty scary anymore.

This is a huge scam. I've had the same emails on some of my higher price auctions. They've changed the message up a little as they usually stated that they wanted to arrange for a special courier pickup at me home.

You might want to do a search for the member name and see if it's still active. If it still is, report it to eBay for making offers outside of the auction process.

BTW... the money order they send will not be a valid one. It's a way to get money and the item out of you.

scam..this was on an epsiode of the People's Court this week. SOme ignorant fool got scammed and tehn he in turn tried to stick it to the cash checking place that provided him with the legit money to send back. Usually this is tied in to a "work at home" scheme.

The situation on the people's court episode was the young ignorant man was looking for a job on the internet and got hooked by one of these fake "secret customer" surveys. His "job" was to go to a walmart and cash a money order which was provided by this online company. The company sends him a fake money order in the amount of $900 and the dupe is supposed to cash it, kepp $100 as payment and send back $800 to the online company. The check cashing place at the Walmart then comes after the dupe for the full $900 amount when the MO bounces. The twist in this case was that the insufficiently_thoughtful_person tried to duck the calls from the check cashing place AND filed a countersuit for defamation of character because the check cashing place called the address tied to the dupe's acct and turns out he lives with an aunt and unlce, who, thankfully are upstanding citizens, start questioning the young dupe about his activities and ask if he stole money from the check cashing place. The check cashing place also got the young dupe blacklisted locally so he could not cash any type of checks anywhere convenient. anyway - judge rules; check cashing place (plaintiff) gets its $900 from defendant, defendant's countersuit dropped, defendant is IMO not as naive and innocent as he is playing at

great, it's starting to look like the Nigerian email scams have begun to morph into this new type of eBay scam. Here's a Q & A copied from a listing i just saw:

Q: GOOD DAY SELLER, I M PURCHASING THIS YOUR ITEM WHITOUT NO DELAY WILL YOU ACCEPT MONEY ORDER OR CASHIER CHECK AS A METHOD OF PAYMENT IF YOU WILL ACCEPT IT,MAIL BACK WITH YOUR CONTACT ADDRESS SO THAT I WILL ARRANGE YOUR PAYMENT IMMIDIATELLY.

Mar-19-06

A: I do accept Money Orders and Cashier Checks that can be verified. If you wish to purchase the item, please use the Buy It Now option while it is still available. My contact information will be provided once the item has been purchased

This item is still up for sale and I'd bet all my chips this is a scam set up similar in fashion to the Nigerian letter scams.

This probably means we can expect to get inundated with this [embarrassing lack of self control]. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Here's another scam that just came my way:

Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay. Learn more.

Question about Item -- Respond Now

eBay sent this message on behalf of an eBay member via My Messages. Responses sent using email will go to the eBay member directly and will include your email address. Click the Respond Now button below to send your response via My Messages (your email address will not be included).

Question from beyondplasma

This message was sent while the listing was active.

Hey are you going to buy the unit or not??? It appears to me that you're nothing but a fraud!! I'm reporting you to ebay !

Respond to this question in My Messages.

Item Details

Item name: PANASONIC 50" TH-50PHD8UK PLASMA TELEVISION: IN STOCK!!

Item number: 9700257152

End date: Feb-12-06 12:18:31 PST

View item description:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5866076308&sspagename=ADME:B:AAQ:US:1

Thank you for using eBay!

http://www.ebay.com/

Marketplace Safety Tip

Always remember to complete your transactions on eBay - it's the safer way to trade.

Is this message an offer to buy your item directly through email without winning the item on eBay? If so, please help make the eBay marketplace safer by reporting it to us. These "outside of eBay" transactions may be unsafe and are against eBay policy. Learn more about trading safely.

Is this email inappropriate? Does it violate eBay policy? Help protect the community by reporting it.

Learn how you can protect yourself from spoof (fake) emails at:

http://pages.ebay.com/education/spooftutorial

This eBay notice was sent to you on behalf of another eBay member through the eBay platform and in accordance with our Privacy Policy. If you would like to receive this email in text format, change your notification preferences.

See our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have questions about eBay's communication policies.

Privacy Policy: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/privacy-policy.html

User Agreement: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/user-agreement.html

Copyright © 2006 eBay, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.

eBay and the eBay logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of eBay, Inc.

eBay is located at 2145 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125.

The funny thing is that this seller exists and the item # is actually for his auction of a 50" plasma TV. Problem is, I have never interacted with this seller in any way shape or form.

One other thing to look for is in the first line. While it states that my registered name is included...it is not. That's always a good first indicator of a spoof email.

look, if you get a money order from western union, call the 800 number on the order and ask Western U how much their records say the thing is for.

had a guy come in to the store i used to manage and try to buy a $&*#load of stuff with a money order. i called Western U, and they said it was a valid order, but for $1.00, not $1000.00. the hardest part about the thing was keeping the perps entertained while we waited for the cops to show up.

check washing is a scam as old as time, and used to be a lot easier than it is now. fortunately, a seller with a modicum of sense and an inclination to investigate should have no problems outing a bad check/money order