• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FORUM PRE-SCREEN: 9.8?

41 posts in this topic

IMHO this book falls a wee tiny bit shy of the coveted 9.8 I see one spine tick at the upper staple. Plus the back cover LRC looks a tiny bit off as well. It is a solid a 9.6 though. A very nice book....

KingOfRulers. Id agree the one tiny spine tick wouldnt drop it out of a 9.8 What does IMHO is the back covers lower right corner. Its very hard too tell. But it looks a tiny bit off. It's very hard to tell from the scan. It is black all the way down. Then right at the very bottom it is white. If that mark is there, it would IMHO take it out of a 9.8 If it isnt, it has a very good shot of hitting 9.8

KingOfRulers. Id agree the one tiny spine tick wouldnt drop it out of a 9.8 What does IMHO is the back covers lower right corner. Its very hard too tell. But it looks a tiny bit off. It's very hard to tell from the scan. It is black all the way down. Then right at the very bottom it is white. If that mark is there, it would IMHO take it out of a 9.8 If it isnt, it has a very good shot of hitting 9.8

I'm pretty sure what you're looking at is 'factory', and I don't think CGC will make a deduction for it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It's fun to guess, but IMO the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 is near-imaginary. I don't think we can tell on which side of the fence a book will fall, particularly since there may be minute imperfections in the gloss that don't show up in scans. Both books are breathtakingly sharp, and I could make the case either way...both look virtually perfect to me and could easily score 9.8s, or I could nitpick tiny flaws in the corners & spines and argue that they're 9.6s. I would "guess" both books are well worth the prescreen (after all, is a 9.6 "bad"?), particularly the #54 where the corners look especially crisp. Just my two cents!

I have about 150 9.8's sitting right here and I will say you have as good of a shot at a 9.8 as you do at the 9.6. 50/50. i can show you about 50 9.4's that could have been graded 9.6's. I really dont know what the they are doing down there but I would take the shot on the 9.8 as it looks good enough to pass for a 9.8 to me.

Your corners look sharp all that is left is to hold it on an angle in the light right in front of the light source and take a good look at the spine. On that cover the spine problems will show immediately.

....all that is left is to hold it on an angle in the light right in front of the light source and take a good look at the spine. On that cover the spine problems will show immediately.

Obviously I've done this prior to selecting it as a candidate. Nothing there. thumbsup2.gif

Philisophical question: If you think the book has a shot, isn't it worth the $3 to see?

Anything said based on the scans should not disuade you since you have the books in hand. The books do look like NM/M 9.8 candidates to me for what it is worth. Good luck.

Dan

Philisophical question: If you think the book has a shot, isn't it worth the $3 to see?

Anything said based on the scans should not disuade you since you have the books in hand. The books do look like NM/M 9.8 candidates to me for what it is worth. Good luck.

Dan

I was only kidding about the $3. I've done a few 9.6 pre-screens before....and got back a bunch of 9.8s

I did a 50 book submission once, and would have saved myself a ton of money if I pre-screened at 9.8 instead.