• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Highest Graded Comics by Era

19 posts in this topic

I was recently discussing graded comics with several follow collectors. One topic that came up was "what is the highest CGC graded comic by era"? This is a very good question. Can anyone help solve this? We all know that people want the best copy of a book. The question is what are the best graded book of the comic eras. We decided that Modern books would be left out of this, as there are a number of graded 10.0's in this era. Anyone have any ideas on the other eras?

Platinum Age -

Golden Age -

Silver Age -

Bronze Age -

Comic Link has a Buster Brown's Experiences with Pond's Extract CGC VF+ 8.5 and that's a Platinum Age comic. Also the last Overstreet had a CGC 9.9 Golden Age comic in the color section. Didn't Mile High Comics own the only Silver Age CGC 10.0? I think it was an issue of Thor. This would actually be cool to figure out! smile.gif

I heard that Chuck at Mile High Comics has (or had) the Thor 156 10.0 and was going to put it in a special auction with proceeds going to the Comic Book Defense Fund? Does anyone know about this? I'm guessing there might also be some 9.9 Gaines EC books?

This is scary! This is so damned reminisceint of the artificial baseball card / grading / market on 10.0s debacle. Before PSA, a MINT and CENTERED 85T Mark McGuire card right out of a 12000 ct. case was worth $50. If it received a '9' upon submission, it was worth $100. If the submittor had the right credentials in order, and the Gods were smiling down on the submittor that day, the card received a RARE 10, it was worth 100 times as much as the 9!!!! Know what the differences between 9 MINT, and 10 MINT are in probably 50% of the cases?....NOTHING! Dealers and auction graders that have been staring at cards through magnifying lenses for decades with eagle eyes can't tell the difference between most 9s and 10s, until it comes time to actually PAY for a 10.

I have no doubt that someone, over-influenced by hype and an outpouring of adrenalin would pay 50 times more for a Spiderman 6 than for the same book in 9.9 (if they existed). Whether anyone else who actually VIEWED both books could discern that the 10.0 was a BETTER COPY than the 9.9, even with a microscope in hand, and was worth 50 times more than the 9.9, is another matter.

Just like baseball cards, after PSA!

Secondly, the concept of a comic being PERFECT in every way to extreme degrees isn't a sound one anyway. Something that isn't machined to be perfect and measureably so AT the factory, the tolerances allowable in the printing, cutting, assemblying, and stacking, cannot be, or have survived, perfectly. NOTHING is a 10 for that matter. Maybe on the atomic level, but even products created under precision, exacting tolerances (Heart valves, aircraft parts, microchips, etc.)....have very subtle variations.