• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess The CGC Grade

19 posts in this topic

I recently got three books back from CGC and thought we would play a little "guess the grade". I sent these books in with my Collectors Society coupon in order to get an idea of how accurate my grading is as I'm getting ready to sell off some of my collection soon. I'll post the CGC grades along with my pre CGC grades later today. There are no hidden defects on these books. Everything you need to should be visible in the scans.

White/Off White pages

xmen63copy.jpg

xmen63back.jpg

White pages

xmen103.jpg

xmen103back.jpg

White pages

xmen117copy.jpg

xmen117back.jpg

I recently got three books back from CGC and thought we would play a little "guess the grade". I sent these books in with my Collectors Society coupon in order to get an idea of how accurate my grading is as I'm getting ready to sell off some of my collection soon. I'll post the CGC grades along with my pre CGC grades later today. There are no hidden defects on these books. Everything you need to should be visible in the scans.

63: 8.0

103: 9.4

117: 9.6

My grades pre CGC:

63 - 8.5

103 - 9.6

117 - 9.6

CGC grades:

63 - 8.5

103 - 9.4

117 - 9.6

clanof7 hit all three on the money. 893applaud-thumb.gif

A few others got very close.

I have no idea why the 103 got 9.4 and 117 got 9.6. I can see absolutely no reason why the 103 isn't every bit as nice as the 117. Who knows? confused-smiley-013.gif

I sent in the 63 because I felt like most people would consider it a 9.0 (and most of you did), but I decided it was closer to 8.5, maaaabe 9.0, so I wanted to see where CGC would grade it. It's one of those books that I think would stand a good chance at 9.0 if I resubed it.

Thanks for playing!

personally, i gave the 103 a 9.4 because of the soft-ish ULFC and that little corner bend on the ULBC.

either could be tricks of the light, scanning artifacts, what have you. the 117 wasn't completely perfect, but it's minor issues were less obvious than those on the 103.

the 63 i was just obviously harsh on. top edge issues in my mind, coupled with the LLFC.

My grades pre CGC:

63 - 8.5

103 - 9.6

117 - 9.6

CGC grades:

63 - 8.5

103 - 9.4

117 - 9.6

I have no idea why the 103 got 9.4 and 117 got 9.6. I can see absolutely no reason why the 103 isn't every bit as nice as the 117. Who knows? confused-smiley-013.gif

I sent in the 63 because I felt like most people would consider it a 9.0 (and most of you did), but I decided it was closer to 8.5, maaaabe 9.0, so I wanted to see where CGC would grade it. It's one of those books that I think would stand a good chance at 9.0 if I resubed it.

Thanks for playing!

Notes?

Dan

My grades pre CGC:

63 - 8.5

103 - 9.6

117 - 9.6

CGC grades:

63 - 8.5

103 - 9.4

117 - 9.6

Thanks for playing!

Notes?

Dan

There were no "big" surprises so I didn't call for notes. I don't care that much. grin.gif