• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's pressing ?

19 posts in this topic

Ive seen it mentioned but im not exactly sure what it is and if its a bad thing. Is it restoration ?

gossip.gifQuick delete this post and do a seach on the subject, you will have enough to read for days. Hope you have a laptop so you can sit on the toilet.

Ive seen it mentioned but im not exactly sure what it is and if its a bad thing. Is it restoration ?

OK, I'll bite.

Pressing is when pressure and heat are artificially applied to a comic book for the purpose of removing certain defects, such as bends, non-color breaking creases, spine roll, etc. It is done in an effort to improve the grade of the book. It is a bad thing. It is restoration. Period. Many will argue that it is neither, but we all know the truth sumo.gif

There, I did it . . . grin.gif

OK, I'll bite.

Pressing is when pressure and heat are artificially applied to a comic book for the purpose of removing certain defects, such as bends, non-color breaking creases, spine roll, etc. It is done in an effort to improve the grade of the book. It is a bad thing. It is restoration. Period. Many will argue that it is neither, but we all know the truth sumo.gif

There, I did it . . . grin.gif

I don't advocate pressing of high grade books to make them 9.4 vs. 9.2 but.... Pressing to take a book from 7.0 to 8.0 may not be a bad thing. In other words it's not all bad. Be aware I restore old cars so that makes me a person that thinks restoration is a good thing/ Especially when it takes an item that has seen better years and makes it new again. I also belive in preserving items that aren't perfect but are still preseved in near original condition. In other words if the automobile is in good original condition don't mess with it. Because of that I will not restore a automobile that is in good original condition or one that is so rare tha originals are hard to come by. A comic book that is ugly that can be made beautiful again with a bit of pressing deserves to be pressed. Unless it is a very rare comic and as such deserves special consideration. IMHO. Of course others will disagree, to all of those folks you can take you opiinions and post them here and start another major debate on an issue that will never be solved.

Thanks guys I guess I didnt realize it was a hot button issue ! Thanks for the info.

Here we go....I told you to delete it..greggy.gif

Just to fan the flames devil.gif, but should the Italian government have "restored" Michaelangelo's Sistine Chapel paintings? They were probably a 6.4 prior to the resto, but could easily grade a 9.0 now... poke2.gif

Does this mean and Iron will do wonderfully with a towl to keep the book from bring to ashes?

Take the book that you love the most and try it out on first.

The book I love the most is heavly protected, and in a picture frame, and is NM is not already.......

I say lets try it out on a Action Comics #1 without anything even a towl to protect the heat from burning it up.

Question is, where do we get a AC 1 from? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks guys I guess I didnt realize it was a hot button issue ! Thanks for the info.

Here we go....I told you to delete it..greggy.gif

Just to fan the flames devil.gif, but should the Italian government have "restored" Michaelangelo's Sistine Chapel paintings? They were probably a 6.4 prior to the resto, but could easily grade a 9.0 now... poke2.gif

They professionally restored it for history's sake, they didn't press it to sell it to the pope for 3x guide.