• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many "regulars" here own an OSGG?

36 posts in this topic

After seeing some of the grades people keep throwing out (a lot of them WAY too harsh) I was curious how many of the regulars on this forum own and have read the Overstreet Grading Guide. CGC supposedly based their guidelines on it.

In any case, it would be a shame if someone got the wrong impression about a book they own because people like to appear "tough" on grading. Take for example the MS 2 currently up. NO WAY is that book a 6.0 or lower. It just isn't. Chipping, slight water damage, and spine rolls are allowed in those grades, and there isn't anything that severe on that copy. If people are going to be giving their opinions on things, I think that's great, but don't lowball somebody's book (which could cost them quite a bit on resale) if you aren't familiar with grading criteria. It would suck if someone decided to take the lower end of the grades given and put that on eBay. Just my two cents. confused-smiley-013.gif

After seeing some of the grades people keep throwing out (a lot of them WAY too harsh) I was curious how many of the regulars on this forum own and have read the Overstreet Grading Guide. CGC supposedly based their guidelines on it.

In any case, it would be a shame if someone got the wrong impression about a book they own because people like to appear "tough" on grading. Take for example the MS 2 currently up. NO WAY is that book a 6.0 or lower. It just isn't. Chipping, slight water damage, and spine rolls are allowed in those grades, and there isn't anything that severe on that copy. If people are going to be giving their opinions on things, I think that's great, but don't lowball somebody's book (which could cost them quite a bit on resale) if you aren't familiar with grading criteria. It would suck if someone decided to take the lower end of the grades given and put that on eBay. Just my two cents. confused-smiley-013.gif

I own an Overstreet Grading Guide and use if often. I agree, some people on this forum tend to be harsh on some books that people post for grading. I often wonder if they are that hard on their own books, especially when considering selling 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

But I do value other forumites grades on books, as sometimes they see something I have missed. I have submitted probably over a hundred books to CGC and my grades tend to be within 0.5 either way of their grade (0.2 on the higher grades) - obviously there are books that I get back and wonder (both higher and lower) and I consistently use the Grading Guide to help with my grades. BTW, that MS 2 is a book I tossed up to get some opinions. I personally graded it a 6.5 and would feel comfortable in selling it for that grade. I would welcome any opinions thumbsup2.gif

Drew

Like so many other things in life, I suppose grading depends on one's perspective.

If you are selling, it's human nature to be a bit lenient and buying, stricter. That's just the nature of the beast. Of course, even then there have to be reasonable limits.

If (as is my case) you aren't selling or buying the book in question, then you just

want unbiased (informed) opinions to verify your own or to show you a new perspective.

To my experience the grading on this forum has actually been quite consistent, with the ranges opined on a book often within 0.5. In most cases the high and low are certainly within 1 point. In all honesty, I have not seen too many outrageous grades.

I suspect most regulars here own (and use) the OCGG..and..yes, I do.

hi.gifflowerred.gif

I own a copy as well. Grading is very subjective, even following some excellent guidelines. A lot of people on this forum have dis-agreed with the grades The CGC gives book's. Even with what qualifies as restoration. As long as your trying and learning, that's what counts. I try too grade all my book's the same way. It shouldnt matter if your grading too sell or buy. If a book your selling is graded by you at 7.0, a same like book should be graded as a 7.0 if your buying it. Practice makes perfect so it is said. The hard part for me anyway, is detecting restoration. Color touch, trimming etc... Harder too detect becasue hopefully the book's you have are free of any type of restoration. The only way too learn is too have a freind touch up some book's and then see if you can detect it accurately. Then go on too other form's like trimming, pressing etc..

I own one, but I also use guides from numerous sites such as http://www.ccgrealm.com/grading_comic.shtml

I also do a compare with the over 330 CGC graded books I have in grades ranging from 1.8 to 9.9 to try to get a fair assessment of what the grade will come back from CGC as. That being said, grading is always subjective and no matter how good the scan is, it will never compare to having the book in hand.

Uh, What's an OSGG? insane.gif

Seriously, I couldn't agree with you more. I spoke with Steve Borock about this (among other things) last month at Wondercon. One of the points he made (and forgive me Steve, if I don't get it exactly right) was that it's CGC's duty to give any book the best grade it deserves. Unfortunately, many members here just don't get it . . . grading is not just a system of deductions. . . it is an evaluation of all of the qualities of a book sumo.gif

I own an Overstreet Grading Guide and use if often. I agree, some people on this forum tend to be harsh on some books that people post for grading. I often wonder if they are that hard on their own books, especially when considering selling 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

But I do value other forumites grades on books, as sometimes they see something I have missed. I have submitted probably over a hundred books to CGC and my grades tend to be within 0.5 either way of their grade (0.2 on the higher grades) - obviously there are books that I get back and wonder (both higher and lower) and I consistently use the Grading Guide to help with my grades. BTW, that MS 2 is a book I tossed up to get some opinions. I personally graded it a 6.5 and would feel comfortable in selling it for that grade. I would welcome any opinions thumbsup2.gif

Drew

EDIT: I agree with a 6.5 on the MS 2. I don't know how I managed to leave that out of my original post. foreheadslap.gif

I do not own an OSGG, although I don't think anyone would consider me a "regular" in this forum, either. It's not like we need qualifications of any kind to offer our opinions in this forum, and people looking for those opinions have to realize that and take into consideration who is grading their books.

For example, Timulty likes to be known as a "tough" grader and calls himself the "grading bastiche", but do you agree with him here?

I know whose opinions I value more than others and take that into consideration if someone's grade on one of my books is dramatically different than my opinion. And since I have admitted to not owning a Grading Guide, please take that into consideration (if it matters to you) when the scans I'm looking at belong to you.

Oh, another question for people. Who looks at what grades other people have posted before deciding on what they think?

thumbsup2.gif

Jim

I have the book and it doesnt explain enough. All it does is show plenty of pictures. Zaid brought it up somewhere else on here about a 1 1/2 tear on his book.

Here is what Zaid asked:

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is not clear to me from the OS Grading guide where such a defect places a book.

A 1930s book in otherwise VF/NM (8.5/9.0) condition that has a 1 1/2" tear from the right side of the cover extending up and in from the outside.

How much would that drop the grade?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My response:

That book has alot of pages with nice pictures but not enough explanations on specifics. I read it all of the time and if CGC actually used that book it would change the grading entirely. You would definitely be in the7.0/ 7.5 range at a minimum. It depends on how well they can hide the tear. If it is more obvious it could drop lower.

What do you guys say about this? I would love to hear someone else answer.

I own one...that I got for free which makes it even better! grin.gif

I think too many strive to be tough graders as well. I try my best to be neither conservative nor liberal. I actually just got in a huge arguement over this on the STL boards. Apparently, people think it is okay to purposely skew the grade of a book to appear "conservative" in their grading. I personally think overgrading is just as bad as undergrading. Someone is getting screwed on both ends. But of course people like to get something for nothing, and this industry is a buyer's market which makes the notion that undergrading a book is okay.

grading is not just a system of deductions. . . it is an evaluation of all of the qualities of a book sumo.gif

An excellent point. Gloss, page quality, cover whites, and color should factor into a grade as much as spine stress or corner sharpness. I have trouble giving a technical VF with outstanding centering, color strike, and page whiteness the same grade as an inferior copy just because they have the same amount of spine tics.

grading is not just a system of deductions. . . it is an evaluation of all of the qualities of a book sumo.gif

An excellent point. Gloss, page quality, cover whites, and color should factor into a grade as much as spine stress or corner sharpness. I have trouble giving a technical VF with outstanding centering, color strike, and page whiteness the same grade as an inferior copy just because they have the same amount of spine tics.

Wow I am sorry I posted in your thread October. I dont think I qualify as a "regular"

Wow I am sorry I posted in your thread October. I dont think I qualify as a "regular"

confused.gif How did you get that out of the post you quoted? Not sure I get it...

I have the first edition of the OSGG, and when I first picked it up (circa '98-'99 I think?) I studied it rigorously to try to tighten up my grading skills. I don't have the newer edition, but generally I've tried to keep pace with the continued changes in grading, mostly based on CGC's standards (or what we imagine them to be). tongue.gif

People on the grading forum can grade a bit harshly, but given that it's a bunch of random people grading a book based on scans I think we actually do a pretty good job. And when a book does gets "hammered", often someone else will offer up a "corrective" grade or challenge the earlier assertions in some way as Andy did with the MS 2. As long as you take all this with a grain of salt, I don't think there's too much to worry about.