• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many "regulars" here own an OSGG?

36 posts in this topic

grading is not just a system of deductions. . . it is an evaluation of all of the qualities of a book sumo.gif

An excellent point. Gloss, page quality, cover whites, and color should factor into a grade as much as spine stress or corner sharpness. I have trouble giving a technical VF with outstanding centering, color strike, and page whiteness the same grade as an inferior copy just because they have the same amount of spine tics.

word.

i have one. yay me

grading is not just a system of deductions. . . it is an evaluation of all of the qualities of a book sumo.gif

An excellent point. Gloss, page quality, cover whites, and color should factor into a grade as much as spine stress or corner sharpness. I have trouble giving a technical VF with outstanding centering, color strike, and page whiteness the same grade as an inferior copy just because they have the same amount of spine tics.

i agree and i've seen a lot of undergrading on this forum especially in regards to books that have general wear typical to a certain grade but deserve a bump to due gloss and color strike! As far as the grading guide i owned one in the past but it got thrown out at some point, i do admit in regards to books that are 5.0 and under i try to make it a point to grade STRICTER than overstreet --just a philosophy i have developed over the last 20 years that overstreet's standards are too loose on these books! It has given me great pleasure in the past to sell a STRICT 2.0 on ebay and have the buyer e-mail me to tell me how happy he is because most people would sell that book as a 3.5/4.0-- I admit i first came across this kind of grading when i started to buy midgrades from gary dolgoff and it's true to some degree his super strict grading may just be a sales gimmick but i just agree with the idea that a good condition book should not be a beater!

I have both editions. The first one is a little more in-line with my grading perferences... the second seems much harsher on the 8.0-9.0 grades. But when I sell books, I try to live by the second edition as much as possible, because that is where they minds of many collectors are today.

I agree with the comment that 'structure' seems to take precedence over other important criteria, like gloss, reflectivity and PQ. That may be due to the shift in buying books based on a scan, versus in the old days where you typically bought backissues in person, at a shop or a con. Would you take a glossy, supple VF over a duller (yet perfectly centred) NM with darker pages? Sad to say, in this era of buying CGC numbers, most people would not.

The nicest collection of DC war books (my area of collecting) I have every seen are owned by a collector who I admire enormously. He has a deep sense of what makes a comic 'right'. It's not just technical grade... many of his 1950s DC war books are VF and VF+, structurally, not the hallowed 9.4 and up. But he has been very careful to choose books with outstading gloss and page quality. And this gives his books a 'life' that makes them feel incredibly special, regardless of the small corner creases and spine tics they may have. I have seen CGC'd books in the 9s from the same period with cream pages, and viturally no gloss left... and they pale in comparison to those beautiful VFs.

Shep

page quality is a very important factor in grading comics for sure! And not just whether or not the book has cream, off-white pages, or white pages-- to me it's very inportant that the pages have excellent registration and deep rich colors as well! For example i have a spidey #6 with off white pages that has colors deep and rich on every page so that they look fresh and almost leap out at you --in a case like this i would prefer this book to many if not most copies with white pages! These type of qualities are tough to evaluate properly from a scan and therefore i don't generally factor page quality as much here in the forum! There is no substitute for having the book in hand!

a probelm with grading on the boards is cause by not being able to really "see" the book. There is no better way to get the true feel for a books grade then hands on

However, even on the boards a 9.0 and above book can clearly been seen to be different then an 8.0. When it comes to half grades or grades from a 9.0 to a 9.2 etc, to me thats where the grey area come into play.

After seeing some of the grades people keep throwing out (a lot of them WAY too harsh) I was curious how many of the regulars on this forum own and have read the Overstreet Grading Guide. CGC supposedly based their guidelines on it.

In any case, it would be a shame if someone got the wrong impression about a book they own because people like to appear "tough" on grading. Take for example the MS 2 currently up. NO WAY is that book a 6.0 or lower. It just isn't. Chipping, slight water damage, and spine rolls are allowed in those grades, and there isn't anything that severe on that copy. If people are going to be giving their opinions on things, I think that's great, but don't lowball somebody's book (which could cost them quite a bit on resale) if you aren't familiar with grading criteria. It would suck if someone decided to take the lower end of the grades given and put that on eBay. Just my two cents. confused-smiley-013.gif

I have the second edition of OGG, i grade MS 2 at 5.5 , one of the "tougher" guys on this one.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

the fact is i don't want to undergrade a book , i'm just here to learn (as grading like said in another post is not really accurate with scans, nothing better than a book in hands) ,

sorry (if that post is for me ) but i do my best , do it for fun , maybe some of you are long time grader but some people are on this forum to learn and only to learn ; when i see i'm said 5.5 and others write 6.0 or 6.5, i don't say" this guys are all wrong" but "let's see where i was wrong" and i'm going back on scans

if that grading forum is to be right each time , many of us won't be able to post

my english is not really good sometimes but i hope you'll understand what i mean

flowerred.gifhi.gif

After seeing some of the grades people keep throwing out (a lot of them WAY too harsh) I was curious how many of the regulars on this forum own and have read the Overstreet Grading Guide. CGC supposedly based their guidelines on it.

In any case, it would be a shame if someone got the wrong impression about a book they own because people like to appear "tough" on grading. Take for example the MS 2 currently up. NO WAY is that book a 6.0 or lower. It just isn't. Chipping, slight water damage, and spine rolls are allowed in those grades, and there isn't anything that severe on that copy. If people are going to be giving their opinions on things, I think that's great, but don't lowball somebody's book (which could cost them quite a bit on resale) if you aren't familiar with grading criteria. It would suck if someone decided to take the lower end of the grades given and put that on eBay. Just my two cents. confused-smiley-013.gif

I have the second edition of OGG, i grade MS 2 at 5.5 , one of the "tougher" guys on this one.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

the fact is i don't want to undergrade a book , i'm just here to learn (as grading like said in another post is not really accurate with scans, nothing better than a book in hands) ,

sorry (if that post is for me ) but i do my best , do it for fun , maybe some of you are long time grader but some people are on this forum to learn and only to learn ; when i see i'm said 5.5 and others write 6.0 or 6.5, i don't say" this guys are all wrong" but "let's see where i was wrong" and i'm going back on scans

if that grading forum is to be right each time , many of us won't be able to post

my english is not really good sometimes but i hope you'll understand what i mean

flowerred.gifhi.gif

not that bad at all thumbsup2.gif pleased you are here hi.gif

Not a regular, but I'll throw in my two cents. My issue with the OSGG is that while the descriptions are okay, the images just aren't big enough to really show the differences between 9.2, 9.0, 8.5, etc. It also seems to revolve a lot around what's happening on the spine and the corners. IMO, that's the easy stuff. Dings and stress lines stand out easily, flaws on the edges show up in pictures well, etc. But when it comes to cover gloss or general wear, I don't know if it's really doing the job. I get more insight off the boards here, even if I don't agree with the grading, at least there's a back and forth discussion.

flowerred.gifhi.gif

not that bad at all thumbsup2.gif pleased you are here hi.gif

Thank you Divad thumbsup2.gif

and i really appreciate your p.o.v on grading

I own one, and study it often. I think the problem with getting lower grade books graded on the forums is that many people here are interested in 9.4 grades and above. They haven't studied the defects allowed in books lower than 8.0. If a book has a tiny flaw that puts it lower than 8.0, they consider it a POS. So when you post a 6.5 or a 7.5, after scrutinizing 9.4's and 9.6's, the 7.5 looks like , and is given something like 5.5.

I'm not exactly a regualr in here, but I have posted a book or two for grading, and founsd the grading fair on my offerings. Howver, This form has taught me that i am very very harsh on grading especially my own books. So thanks guys for helping me unclench a bit as i grade my books and others thumbsup2.gif

I haven't been registered long but I'd say I'm pretty regular since I'd been anonymously reading for some time.

I didn't get a GG until last December, although I've been collecting for ages. I was a bit disappointed with the size of the covers and though I consider it a helpful tool it wasn't the revelation that I expected. I don't usually use it on the forum since I'm at work and the book is at home

I think the grading on the forum is pretty solid. I try not to look at anybody else's grades before I write mine. This is how approached it when still anonymous and after finding myself repeatedly in the same ballpark as the long-timers, thought my skills decent enough to jump in.

Although not the same as having the book in hand, grading here has helped me hone my ability to make quicker and smarter evaluations in the real world. ie: When I'm buying a book for myself. grin.gif