• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

From the Tomato Boxes: Giant-Size Fantastic Four #1 Hulk vs. Thing

18 posts in this topic

Wear on the bottom edge, rust and looks like a small crease top right FC. I would have to say 7.5.

Actually, it only looks like a crease hi.gif The wear to the BEFC, the slight spine pucker at the base of the spine, and the slight rust migration are the book's only defects of note.

I guess the question really is: "How much does the slight rust migration bother you as a collector?" 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Wear on the bottom edge, rust and looks like a small crease top right FC. I would have to say 7.5.

Actually, it only looks like a crease hi.gif The wear to the BEFC, the slight spine pucker at the base of the spine, and the slight rust migration are the book's only defects of note.

I guess the question really is: "How much does the slight rust migration bother you as a collector?" 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

David the Rust migration looks worse on the FF than the Defenders, but otherwise the FF is better structurally. juggle.gif Hard to say how much they will down grade it for the migration - I'll split the difference on each book and call them both 8.5 smirk.gif

Actually, it only looks like a crease The wear to the BEFC, the slight spine pucker at the base of the spine, and the slight rust migration are the book's only defects of note.

If thats the case 893scratchchin-thumb.gif then I raise my bid to 8.0 with a nice chance of 8.5.

Rusty staples will not prevent me from buying a book I really want.

Hrmm,

This is tough to say. I have one of those that graded at 8.0 that doesnt have any wear or any rust ( IE it looks better than this ) so I am very unsure. 6.0?

You wuz robbed! 27_laughing.gif

Structurally it's probably an 8.5/9.0, but I gotta knock it down for the rust. 7.0/7.5. Too bad.

BTW, I have a GORGEOUS CGC 8.5 of this book. Looks like a 9.2. I guess I should call for graders notes because I can't tell why it got an 8.5. It is an old label though... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Structurally it's probably an 8.5/9.0, but I gotta knock it down for the rust. 7.0/7.5. Too bad.

BTW, I have a GORGEOUS CGC 8.5 of this book. Looks like a 9.2. I guess I should call for graders notes because I can't tell why it got an 8.5. It is an old label though... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My guess is that it has a little rust on the staples poke2.gif

Here's my thought: Nowhere in any of the Tomato Boxes is there any rust, foxing or evidence of exposure to moisture of any kind. EXCEPT in the Giant-Size Title. Note, these GS's were not kept together, but rather they were kept with their respective Titles . . . GSFF with FF, GSD with Defenders, my GS Man-Thing grin.gif etc., so that shoots the same box theory. Yet many of these GS Books exhibit some rust on the staples. Why? The staples are different. Looking at them, they are a brighter steel staple, also much thicker than the normal-size issue. They also are exposed to the interior covers. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Anyone? grin.gif

Yet many of these GS Books exhibit some rust on the staples. Why? The staples are different. Looking at them, they are a brighter steel staple, also much thicker than the normal-size issue. They also are exposed to the interior covers. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Interesting thought.

The only book in my collection (other than GA) that has any rust is a Silver Surfer #1 with a tiny dot of rust that has not migrated to the paper. It has the same type of binding as the GS books.

Perhaps the cover itself traps moisture and prevents it from cleanly evaporating off the staple... hence the staples tend to rust easier?