• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

non authenticated signature?

33 posts in this topic

how would you price a book with a non authenticated signature on the first page?

say for instance you cracked open a book for the first time in 15 or 20 years and you saw what looks like jack kirby's signature on the bottom of the first page. you have no memory of buying the book but it was certainly from the timeframe when kirby could have done the signature. how would you factor this into the asking price?

1.5 guide price confused-smiley-013.gif...depending on who's sig though 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I picked up a raw NM copy of Nick Fury #1 (1968) about a year and a half ago. When I opened it up, Jim Steranko had signed the first page. It was a nice surprise to see as I had met Jim back in the early 90's and I was able to obtain a signature at that time. Both signatures looked identical so no problems with me. CGC may not be able to authenticate it, but I know for a fact it is genuine. I personally like books that are signed on the interior. However, books signed on the cover do not appeal to me. If I were to sell this book I would add about another 40-50 dollars to my price as Steranko is a good signature to have. I might not get my asking price, but no way would I let it go at what an unsigned nm copy would go for.

Scott

I bought a Batman 217 from a board member and on the first page it was signed by Giordano. I have been told by the member that it is real. He just forgot to mention it in the post where he sold it.

1.5 guide price confused-smiley-013.gif...depending on who's sig though 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Someone on these boards is the discussion of the FF#1 CGC 8.0 I am selling that purportedly has Jack Kirby's signature. I, too, thought that this should (or at least could) add some value to the book. Others disagreed. To each his own.

A signature has always been a nice added bonus (especially from one of the greats in our industry) but it never merited any extra $$ from me. I may be more interested in the auction having known that Jack Kirby MAY have signed a FF book but I definitely won't pay more for that book. I've seen and heard of to many damn good forgeries in my day to be willing to just take a strangers word on the matter, or worse yet, 'feeling' on the authenticity.

Personally I hate signed books and don’t buy them. Regardless of authentication. I’m in the minority who feel it ruins them. It hurts to see all these perfect books in yellow SS holders having been ruined. That said you as the owner of the book can do what you please and it’s not for me to dictate. I certainly wouldn’t pay a premium. Different stroke for different folk.

I'm the opposite way: I couldn't give a [embarrassing lack of self control] about a yellow label. I'll generally assume that a writer/artist's sig is genuine, but at the same time I wouldn't pay extra for it. All the signed books I have i got in person anyway.

I have a Hulk 102 CGC 8.0 with a non authenticated signature of Stan Lee on the first page. How do I get the signature authenticated? That would be nice for several reasons, including the higher grade as I understand NAS books take a hit of a grade to a half grade. The original owner told me Stan signed it at a con in Florida in the early 70's...its certainly looks like his signature.

Personally I hate signed books and don’t buy them. Regardless of authentication. I’m in the minority who feel it ruins them. It hurts to see all these perfect books in yellow SS holders having been ruined. That said you as the owner of the book can do what you please and it’s not for me to dictate. I certainly wouldn’t pay a premium. Different stroke for different folk.

Think you might be in the wrong forum, try the non signed comic one gossip.gif

I have a Hulk 102 CGC 8.0 with a non authenticated signature of Stan Lee on the first page. How do I get the signature authenticated? That would be nice for several reasons, including the higher grade as I understand NAS books take a hit of a grade to a half grade. The original owner told me Stan signed it at a con in Florida in the early 70's...its certainly looks like his signature.

there is no way to get a yellow label after the fact. I think you could get him to sign the cover and get a yellow that way since the first sig is inside.

there is no way to get a yellow label after the fact. I think you could get him to sign the cover and get a yellow that way since the first sig is inside.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif So if I had Mr. Lee sign it again, does that mean it would still be downgraded for the "Stan Lee" 'scribbling' on the first page? insane.gif

I was hoping he could authenticate it or add something to the sig. Seems kind of odd to have the same guy sign it twice since I'm not into having the cover signed. makepoint.gif

BTW. The case is a blue label that states "Stan Lee written on first page."