• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safes

220 posts in this topic

Unfortunately, the inherent moisture damage potential is there, and has been known to coinees for some time, re: fireproof safes. Nope - we don't like spots of mildew, etc. on those either!

But have coinees been able to counter moisture levels in the safes. I mean really just how much moisture is being produced? I will not dispute that moisture is produced but the question is how much and if it can safely be countered and I cannot see a fire safe being a worse environment than the dessicator we have in our lab which is opened several time a day and we MAYBE have to change exhausted dessicant twice a month at the most.

• Administrator

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...rue#Post1086923

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...rue#Post1203270

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...true#Post862138

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...page=0&vc=1

Chippewa

I am gonna miss that car.

Reged: 01/29/02

Loc: Detroit, Michigan

Re: What safe to buy? [Re: BankNote1]

#119341 - 03/08/03 03:02 AM (24.247.196.178)

Edit post Edit Reply to this post Reply Reply to this post Quote Quick Reply Quick Reply

Many years ago I had a client called the Meilink Safe Co. They made small and medium sized safes and file cabilnets for homes and businesses. I think they went bankrupt at some point. From what I remember

1) No home safe is 100% "fireproof". If the fire is hot enough and lasts long enough the stuff inside will be history. I think safes are rated to show how much fire protection they offer.

2) I think most "fireproof" safes create humidity inside as a result of the liquid filled beads contained between the two walls. THere are probably ways to offset this.

Personally, I feel better about the safety of both family and collection with my coins in the bank vault.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...true#Post119341

dragon

Austin dragon - International Man of grandMastery

Reged: 01/28/02

Re: Safety Deposit Boxes [Re: TomB]

#174243 - 05/22/03 01:06 AM (68.72.133.115)

Edit post Edit Reply to this post Reply Reply to this post Quote Quick Reply Quick Reply

Yes, safety deposit boxes at banks are the best option IMO. You get a relatively stable temp and humidity environment as well as probably the safest possible place for storing valuables. I've also been told that you should always try to get a box that is not against an outer wall if possible, but rather in a center isle of the vault. Supposedly this keeps the temp and humidity levels even more stable, as any outside walls may transfer heat or cold depending on season.

dragon

---

A word of caution for both used and new safes - many safes' interiors collect moisture, and humidity can cause considerable damage to the objects stored in a safe. An easy way to help control the humidity of a safe's interior is to put some silica gel inside the safe. Chemically inert, nontoxic and noncorrosive, and above all, inexpensive, silica gel is useful in a variety of cases because it absorbs moisture from the air. Silica gel will absorb water until it becomes saturated. Then, it must be reconditioned (essentially dried out again). It has an indefinite shelf life and can be reused again and again. Saturated silica gel can be reconditioned by baking it in an oven for 12 hours at 250 degrees Fahrenheit.

-----

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.comics.misc/browse_frm/thread/c9d818d358c1d183?hl=en

Hello,

I hope I'm not asking a question that has already been answered, but inregards to metal FLATFILES that are fire proof, made by "Safe Co" for example. Do you, or anyone have any thoughts or experience if they can harm comics books in or out of their CGC holders ?

Thanks.

I doubt it… I think those are manufatured primarily for graphic artists, draftsmen, architects, etc. I don't believe they are "airtight" which is the red flag.

Regardless, look into it and make sure. Silica Gel packets couldn't hurt either

The results are in... Some unexpected bad news and some good news.

frown.gifHulk 182 9.8… Obviously will never be in a blue holder again in any grade. The book is now with Matt Nelson whom I met for the first time at WW Philly. Matt will be replacing the corroded/rusted staples with staples from another "beater" Hulk 182 I bought at the show. I wanted the book to have replacement staples that were previously in another Hulk 182. Matt will document the work performed and mention the staple details. I expect to have a Qualified 9.8 when all is said and done. This loss is particularly harsh as this was one of my favorites… and according to Steve, the book was actually flirting with 9.9.

frown.gifHulk 180 9.8… is currently (and hopefully temporarily) a Universal 9.4. Even though the rust present (on only one) staple, and is very, very slight… it could not be "brushed off" at CGC. I was advised that perhaps enough rust could be "legally" removed by a professional to bring the book up, but its uncertain (and risky) at best. An attempt to remove the rust that potentially goes "too far" could result in a drop in grade or designation. This book is with Matt Nelson too. IF, god forbid, worse come to worse, I may decide to have the staple replaced and settle with a qualified 9.8.

yay.gifIron Man 55 9.8… returns the same grade 9.8! Thankfully, the microscopic spot of rust was brushed off with no problem.

yay.gifASM 129 9.6… returns the same grade 9.6! Similar to the IM 55, the microscopic spot of rust was also brushed off with no problem.

I want to thank Steve Borock and everyone at CGC that went out of their way to help me. Every effort was made to assist me and minimize my loss… and I really appreciate it. In addition, CGC has issued warnings about this potential hazard to many others via the boards and their own e-newsletter.

In addition, recently, Tom Gordon contacted me and informed me that this coming edition of the Overstreet Grading Guide will include information and warnings about storage environments.

The silver-lining is… quite a few collectors have been informed as a result of this unfortunate event and spared a similar fate. Hopefully no one else will lose a gem to safe-related damage.

thanks so much for posting the follow-up data........... thumbsup2.gif

sorry about the Hulks, but let's hope Matt can at least maintain their grades with a Q or "save" the one at a somewhat lower universal grade.

glad to hear the other two books came out unscathed after rust was easily removed.

Major Kudos to you for bringing this to the fore and keeping us all informed along the way. and Kudos to Steve and CGC for their able assistance............... acclaim.gif

yay.gifIron Man 55 9.8… returns the same grade 9.8! Thankfully, the microscopic spot of rust was brushed off with no problem.

yay.gifASM 129 9.6… returns the same grade 9.6! Similar to the IM 55, the microscopic spot of rust was also brushed off with no problem.

Great, now we have to endure another 3 months of Zaid whining & posturing...

Dry Rods are great for storing Items that arent affected by higher temperatures like firearms and metals. They do indeed raise the temperature and probably would do more harm in a confined space with moderate humidity than good to a book. IMO

Well I am using the same safes (I have two) that probably thousands of other collectors use and yes they are made by Sentry. Both are the exact same model bought at the same time: the FIRE-SAFE® Waterproof Advanced Security File: Model H3100. I have used them for well over 3 years now and have had no problems what so ever in storage of my CGC comics. I use the E. Gerber Full Backs to line the bottom surface of the safe and use the same CGC bubble bags they came in and I place a full back in between each seperate book even though they are in the bags and the cases aren't touching each other at all (It might not matter but I just like to store mine that way). I have had CGC comics from all eras in them for the entire length that I have used the safes and I open it up and check my books every week/2 weeks. I always check mine very carefully. No rusting staples here. They are perfectly fine and exactly the same as the day I set them in it. I keep the books in a room that is kept at a constant cool temperature and in a location that is away from any vents, sources of heat, or sunlight (to keep the sun from hitting the safe). The most important thing I do is I check them on a weekly/biweekly basis and if I see any thing suspect I'll definitely see it. I haven't had a single problem though. I do live in NC, in the Blue Ridge mountains, and it rarely gets that humid around here. The heat rarely gets that high either. It's usually very comfortable temperatures around here. Also when I leave the house even for a few days, my house stays at a constant cool temperature all the time no matter how long I am gone, and I have a trusted relative come to check on the house each day. So far so good as far as I'm concerned. Everything is just fine on my ranch.

That rust on that book just looks very odd to me. I've never seen anything like that, certainly never with my collection. A true collectors nightmare that I hope I never have to live through. With the precautions I'm taking, I doubt I will have to.

I will continue to keep a very sharp eye on my books though.

Welcome to the boards............

the books posted in this thread have just horrific damage that almost defy logic. not sure that anyone else has come up with even remotely similar results. insane.gif

Thank You for the welcome. hi.gifI have been here many times and posted before. I've actually been posting here for a number of years but I had to change ISPs and lost my username and account so I just got a new ID.

Yeah the books in this thead just boggle my mind. I haven't the slightest idea what it really is that caused it. I'm pretty sure it isn't the safes though (at least I have never had the slightest problem with mine). There just has to be more at work on those. Maybe if they were left in a hot room for a few weeks then it is possible if the humidity was high enough and stayed that way for a long while, but even then I seriously doubt any rust would be anywhere near that bad (if barely visible at all). Of course different people, environments, and methods of storage can cause many different things that have to be factored in.

I'm just at a loss as to what it is though. I just can't believe how bad that looks.

It looks like some strange alien parasite that has a fetish for vintage staples. 893whatthe.gif

Don't store your comics in a fireproof safe.I had the staples rusted on a comic I was storing.I also had legal documents stored in the safe.The paper clips and staples all were rusted on the documents.They don't even warn you in the manual that came with the safe.There's probably thousands of unhappy collectors with Sentry safes.