• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Important information about storing comic books in fire proof/resistant safes

220 posts in this topic

I would be interested in seeing information on staple alloys or the amount of impurities for certain years. I thought I heard something about staple rust being prevalent on Amazing Spider-man #129's. It was published the same year as the IH 182. Perhaps there were poor quality staples used that year?(High in Iron)

what about metal filing cabinets?????????????????

Tracy Heft said in his article that metal filing cabinets are an ideal storage medium.

They seemed to have worked just fine for the White Mountains. thumbsup2.gif

Was there a chance that the staples were buffed, removing the coating, at some point?

Jack brings up an interesting point here, given the missed staple manipulation by CGC on the infamous Ewert FF #3. Bruce, you mentioned that the dealer you bought this book from has no qualms about pressing, so now I guess the question needs to be asked if he also has no qualms about staple cleaning....

Tracy Heft said in his article that metal filing cabinets are an ideal storage medium.

Uh, Scott

That is not quite what I wrote. What I wrote was:

One option is metal, either in the form of shelving or in the form of boxes, safes or vaults. However, metal has it's own set of problems that the devoted collector should be conscious of. For starters, unprotected metal surfaces are susceptible to rust in the presence of moisture. For this reason all metallic surfaces need to be coated with a moisture resistant barrier. While most metal products used in the home or office are enamelled, regular wear and tear can result in the exposure of the enamelled surface to the ambient atmospheric conditions.

I ended the article by writing:

I think that using a metallic container is not as simple as finding a box that fits, putting your comics in and then sealing the collection away forever. There are several factors to consider (as mentioned above) and the final decision is ultimately influenced by financial ability. As Gary (Carter) mentioned, additives (such as lubricants and grease) and the potential for rusting makes choosing a metallic container debatable, but if the container adequately supports the comics (which should be in mylars, anyway) and a suitable environment can be created and maintained in order to ensure the preservation of the comics being stored, there should be no foreseeable problem.

Thanks

Tracey Heft

www.eclipsepaper.com

Nice try, Tracey, but like Team America says, if I say you said it, you said it and there's no point in you trying to say any different. yay.gif

Uh, Scott

One option is metal, either in the form of shelving or in the form of boxes, safes or vaults. However, metal has it's own set of problems that the devoted collector should be conscious of. For starters, unprotected metal surfaces are susceptible to rust in the presence of moisture. For this reason all metallic surfaces need to be coated with a moisture resistant barrier. While most metal products used in the home or office are enamelled, regular wear and tear can result in the exposure of the enamelled surface to the ambient atmospheric conditions.

I think that using a metallic container is not as simple as finding a box that fits, putting your comics in and then sealing the collection away forever. There are several factors to consider (as mentioned above) and the final decision is ultimately influenced by financial ability. As Gary (Carter) mentioned, additives (such as lubricants and grease) and the potential for rusting makes choosing a metallic container debatable, but if the container adequately supports the comics (which should be in mylars, anyway) and a suitable environment can be created and maintained in order to ensure the preservation of the comics being stored, there should be no foreseeable problem.

Thanks

Tracey Heft

www.eclipsepaper.com

Nice try, Tracey, but like Team America says, if I say you said it, you said it and there's no point in you trying to say any different. yay.gif

Uh, Scott

Thanks

Tracey Heft

www.eclipsepaper.com

i like the kinder, gentler, Scott......................... grin.gif

Yup, you can include me in the camp of believing FFB on this one. Tracey needs to provide more concrete proof, like a video recording, to change my mind. wink.gif

Yup, you can include me in the camp of believing FFB on this one. Tracey needs to provide more concrete proof, like a video recording, to change my mind. wink.gif

cloud9.gif

See Tracey, when you've got street cred like I do, it takes more than "evidence" and "facts" to prove me wrong. headbang.gif

when you've got street cred like I do, it takes more than "evidence" and "facts" to prove me wrong. headbang.gif

1161670-zzsign.gif

I notice that you've taken to following me around in passive-aggressive graemlin sniping fashion lately. It's been a while since I've had a troll who wasn't a shill. cloud9.gif

when you've got street cred like I do, it takes more than "evidence" and "facts" to prove me wrong. headbang.gif

1161670-zzsign.gif

I notice that you've taken to following me around in passive-aggressive graemlin sniping fashion lately. It's been a while since I've had a troll who wasn't a shill. cloud9.gif

Please show me counselor where this trolling has occurred recently. confused-smiley-013.gif I only saw where you were gracing everyone (in this pinned captive audience) with your banter and I spoke from the deep emotions that you stirred up in my soul. cloud9.gif

1161670-zzsign.gif

Please show me counselor where this trolling has occurred recently. confused-smiley-013.gif I only saw where you were gracing everyone (in this pinned captive audience) with your banter and I spoke from the deep emotions that you stirred up in my soul. cloud9.gif

See, there you go again. Except with more words this time. 893applaud-thumb.gif

1161670-zzsign.gif

See, there you go again. Except with more words this time. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I wouldn't exactly call this an outbreak, but if you're intent on misleading the jury of your own mind, then I'll step back so that you can once again shine. thumbsup2.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif... Interesting point... I'll look into it and will bring it up when I have a chance to speak to Steve and Chris after they receive and examine the books.

One note though, the first fella to report rust on his comic staples was said to have very low grade books, not worth much. Hard to imagine "buffed" staples on those.

Was there a chance that the staples were buffed, removing the coating, at some point?

Jack brings up an interesting point here, given the missed staple manipulation by CGC on the infamous Ewert FF #3. Bruce, you mentioned that the dealer you bought this book from has no qualms about pressing, so now I guess the question needs to be asked if he also has no qualms about staple cleaning....

Bruce,

I've been PMing back and forth with Professor Jack (jselegue here on the boards) about this rusty staple thing this morning, and he's got a couple links to metal analysis firms that you may wish to utilize if you really want to dig into this:

http://www.matcoinc.com/?type=cc&id=345

http://www.galbraith.com/services.htm#Elemental

With his permission, this is what he had to say in response to my inquiry about testing these staples and whether anything had been done to them (or even if they had been replaced):

"The surface of the staples is long gone, so I can't think of any way to test for cleaning or abrading. If there's any metal left in there, it would be possible to get an exact elemental analysis to see whether they had been replaced. That would require having a comparison analysis of authentic staples from another book that came from the same press at the same time. There are people who know printing history well enough to know which press the book came off, and a beater copy of a book with the same staples shouldn't be hard to find.

The analysis would be fairly expensive, but there are commercial labs that do metal analysis routinely."

I'm sure he'll jump in here with more info and/or any corrections if I got something wrong.

Alan