Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: Swampy #1 and #3

14 posts in this topic

I've got more of these I'm going to do them two at a time.

Front

ST1.jpg

Back

ST1back.jpg

The bottom edge has a some roughness and dings/dents that just doesn't come through on any photo I get. So I guess the best I can say is to take those into consideration. (I can definitely say those easily knock this out of the 9's). Also a printers crease on back top left side.

What bothers me a little bit about the Swampy #1 is the little indentations on the lower edge. They are small but it almost looks like the book took some impact on that edge (which you can see in the back cover picture). The book is really nice and square though.

I'll chime in with my thoughts on my own books. Before posting on the board, I had

Swampy #1 as a conservative 8.0 possibly 8.5 (I just don't think the lower edge would allow this into the 9's)

Swampy #3 I had this book right at a 6.5 with everybody else.

BTW thanks for the help. The routine of grading my own books and then coming to the boards to get the consensus opinion has really helped my grading skills.

I'll chime in with my thoughts on my own books. Before posting on the board, I had

Swampy #1 as a conservative 8.0 possibly 8.5 (I just don't think the lower edge would allow this into the 9's)

Swampy #3 I had this book right at a 6.5 with everybody else.

BTW thanks for the help. The routine of grading my own books and then coming to the boards to get the consensus opinion has really helped my grading skills.

8.0 for #1 ?? i think you're really to low on this one, lower edge don't look so bad on scan

Ok here's what I'm talking about with the bottom edge:

edgewear.jpg

Think of it like taking the tip of pen, laying the tip flat on the comics edge and pressing down. That's how the large indentation looks. The rest of the edge is just a little rough rather than perfectly smooth. Also, the indentation goes through on to probably almost half the interior pages. As you can see there is one major indentation and one minor.

Ok now let's here some grading thoughts. Like I said, despite the sharpness that bottom edge really hurts this book. BTW sorry if that picture is hard to look at.

ST1.jpg

The bottom edge has a some roughness and dings/dents that just doesn't come through on any photo I get. So I guess the best I can say is to take those into consideration. (I can definitely say those easily knock this out of the 9's). Also a printers crease on back top left side.

Still a very nice copy of this great book! 893applaud-thumb.gif

You guys think it's in the VF range because of the dent on the back? I am suprised.

I'm not really surprised. The book is indeed nice, but I don't think I could put it in the 9's in good conscience. When you have the book in hand, that bottom edge sticks out like sore thumb. If the bottom was edge was just rough I could see how this might be a 9.0-9.2. But with the general edge wear and that serious dent, no way.

It's tough to see with these scans but you would see what I'm saying if you had the book in hand.