• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Got my Marvel Spotlight #5 today!! Anyone want to Grade? FIXED!!!!!!

19 posts in this topic

as per a previous post Right HERE! I was waiting for my Marvel Spotlight in the Mail. Got it today. here are some scans if anyone wants to give me any feedback or grades. My guess is about 8.5-9.0 but would welcome some other opinions.

I am curious to see how the writing on back affects grade in ULC and also pages are off white. the spine ticks are not quite so obvious in person but really got a bit more noticeable on HIGH Res scan

thanks

I would avoid the pencilling if you're going to use wonderbread on the back. I believe they'd still be able to catch that somehow and it'd be considered "restored" then. I would say it's got a shot at VF+, mostly b/c this book is graded lightly. Anyways, if you're going to use W.B. post a pic after..

Brian

I have no experience with CGC grading (I am actually on these boards to get more familiar with their service, and some feedback on the product). But based on the the new 10 point (25 distinct grade points) overstreet grading guide, I would grade the covers somewhere between F/VF 7.0 to VF- 7.5. The spine wear (especially half-way down) and the cover fading in the lower right and left corners are the main problem. But there is also some dust shadowing on the rear cover that could work to bring the grade lower. I agree with murph0 -- leave the pencil mark alone.

Looks like a VF-. But, Murph0 says they grade this book light,(I didn't know that) so maybe a VF.

As for the little pencilling on the back cover, I don't think they'll give it much notice and I wouldn't worry about it.

I will probably skip the wonder bread then as the consensus seems to be that the writing wont affect the grade too much. The crack from this afternoon has worn off and now that i have a few minutes to look at this book under some heavy light, i have to say that the 7.5-8.0 rough average of the group seems to be about right. i only got a quick glimpse earlier, hence my higher grade. i could see it going as low as 7 or as high as 8.5 but realistically i think 7.5 to 8.0. and i am too whimpy to wonder bread it. on a lighter note, if it goes 7 or better, then i should be okay with what i paid for it. but as it was listed as "like brand new" does anyone else think this was a slightly overstated book or am i too much of a nickle ? boo.gif

by the way, no one notice my Hammer induced scans using a piece of construction paper which compliments the book in the background like he does in his auctions. i was hoping someone would accuse me of using one of his Comic-keys scans. laugh.gif

I won't say you should use W.B., but I think the back cover could possibly benefit from it. If it were my book, I'd probably try it on a little spot and if it works then I'd do the rest of it..but I would avoid any pencil markings or the other stuff like the plague as that's an easy way to get a b.s. restored label.

Brian

as per a previous post Right HERE! I was waiting for my Marvel Spotlight in the Mail. Got it today. here are some scans if anyone wants to give me any feedback or grades. My guess is about 8.5-9.0 but would welcome some other opinions.

There is quite a bit with the spine there so I would give it a 7.0 with what I can see and that is not looking at in person.I just received one back with a perfect spine and great front cover the 1 obvious flaw that it had was on the back on the top with about a inch long ugly looking brown with a little black to it.I wish I would of scanned it now but it came back a 8.5 which I agree with.But I sold it off line to some guy that bought my MS 6 so I cant even scan it now.If that book comes back 8.5 the CGC gods will have amazed me. rantpost.gif

Davidking623

I will probably skip the wonder bread then as the consensus seems to be that the writing wont affect the grade too much. The crack from this afternoon has worn off and now that i have a few minutes to look at this book under some heavy light, i have to say that the 7.5-8.0 rough average of the group seems to be about right. i only got a quick glimpse earlier, hence my higher grade. i could see it going as low as 7 or as high as 8.5 but realistically i think 7.5 to 8.0. and i am too whimpy to wonder bread it. on a lighter note, if it goes 7 or better, then i should be okay with what i paid for it. but as it was listed as "like brand new" does anyone else think this was a slightly overstated book or am i too much of a nickle ? boo.gif

Yes that was a slightly overstated book which is par for the norm.

Davidking623

as it was listed as "like brand new" does anyone else think this was a slightly overstated book or am i too much of a nickle ? boo.gif

It was absolutely positively without a doubt mis-represented on the sell sight. And, I HATE it when this happens. I have on on occasion got so pissed, that I negged the guy. I didn't e-mail him, didn't complain I just negged him. He just picked the wrong time to do it. Bought a Silver Age Turok, looked like VF/VF+ on the scan and all, but he did not mention the fact it was punctured with a steak knife.

Back cover all the way to the front. mad.gif

Naturally I got a neg back. grin.gif

Sorry, I think I'm on a rantpost.gif

You still got a nice comic. Wonder what it would have sold had he advertised it as a VF. confused.gif

You still got a nice comic. Wonder what it would have sold had he advertised it as a VF.

probably about This much!!

or Ironically enough

about This much graded!!

funny, I see a ton of flipping goin on, but it always seems that when i get a raw book on ebay, once you figure in shipping, grading, and ebay fees, i probably wont make doodly squat!! i think the most i made on a flip was about 45-50 bucks!

man my luck sucks!! not that i was gonna flip this but somewhere in the back of my mind i was thinking that if this was gonna be @9.4 i would grade it, flip it, and use part of the money to buy a 8.5-9.0 and the rest to buy something else!!

oh well rantpost.gif

in case anyone might be interested in this month old post. i got the grade today... and here is a pic in the slab 202927-0119160004.jpg

thanks to all who helped.

and yes i did wonder bread the back!!

thats what i was hoping for but i am still pretty happy as i only needed a 7.0 to be at about even money if i wanted to sell. so now if i want to become a flipper, I am right in there! grin.gif