• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another great Doctor Solar Cover PGM #10

7 posts in this topic

headbang.gif That is very nice. I was taking a closer look at the cover and I started paying close attention to the background. Whoever painted that really did a great job on that background. Covers like that seem to be the picture perfect representation of 1950's books. When was it published? Seems like it was probably a SA book, even though it looks GA.

...I don't know my Gold Keys as you can see. screwy.gif

headbang.gif That is very nice. I was taking a closer look at the cover and I started paying close attention to the background. Whoever painted that really did a great job on that background. Covers like that seem to be the picture perfect representation of 1950's books. When was it published? Seems like it was probably a SA book, even though it looks GA.

...I don't know my Gold Keys as you can see. screwy.gif

It was published in 1965. The cover does indeed look very 50's especially with the F100 Super Sabre Jets that they use. This was our first Super Sonic fighter and it saw service from the 1950's into the early 1970's in our air force. It saw even longer duty in countries such as Turkey. A great aircraft that was even used by the Blue Angels for a short period of time.

I believe the Sabre first made it's appearance in WW 2, but only for a short time because the Mustang ended up being the superior aircraft. I guess that was an earlier model Sabre though. Actually, I'm pretty sure the Sabre was a piece of [embarrassing lack of self control] compared to the Zero's they were up against. I think that was also an influential aircraft for Howard Hughes for one of his future models. 893blahblah.gif I did know quite a bit on the Sabre at one time. foreheadslap.gif I seem to have forgotten though 27_laughing.gif.

I believe the Sabre first made it's appearance in WW 2, but only for a short time because the Mustang ended up being the superior aircraft. I guess that was an earlier model Sabre though. Actually, I'm pretty sure the Sabre was a piece of [embarrassing lack of self control] compared to the Zero's they were up against. I think that was also an influential aircraft for Howard Hughes for one of his future models. 893blahblah.gif I did know quite a bit on the Sabre at one time. foreheadslap.gif I seem to have forgotten though 27_laughing.gif.
Don't confuse the f86 sabre with the f100 super sabre. Two different aircraft.

The Zero was a great aircraft at the start of the war. It could out turn any aircraft we had. It was also faster and more manuverable. The problem was that they sacraficed armor and self sealing tanks to get this added performance. It didn't take us long to develop tactics that soon eliminated the advantage the the Zero had in combat. Then we came out with better aircraft and the zero was no longer seen as a viable threat against our aviators. For example the F4u Corsair (of bah bah blacksheep fame) was dominate in battle against the Zero. sign-rantpost.gif