• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JIM 122 - how to factor in a defect

7 posts in this topic

I have a pretty nice copy of this issue but it is missing the top staple. Was never there, no holes, etc. Obvious printing/manufacturing defect. As a result, some of the interior pages are a bit out of wack and stick out a bit.

Is this defect so bad it impacts the grade or do I do this as some sort of qualified grade? Personally, I've never bought into defects not impacting the overall grade, but I guess there's a difference of opinion and OPG and CGC disagree with me. But this one is so weird I don't even know how to handle it even if I am deducting. The book is visually a VF- or so, maybe better, without factoring in the defect.

Thanks.

According to the OCGG, a staple that was not placed at the time of manufacture (as this situation seems) is NOT considered a defect in any grade from 9.4 down.

(i.e only 9.6 up).

So, it sounds like it doesn't affect your 7.5 issue at all... thumbsup2.gif

Agreed. I wouldn't necessarily deduct for this as much as simply note it. In my view, the book is a VF- with the qualifier "bottom staple missing, never stapled during printing."

yes, but what about when it makes the pages stick out a little bit in weird directions?

i guess i'll need to post a scan to explain.

i'd probably deduct for that defect - for the purposes of keeping an eye out for upgrades - if i was keeping it in my collection.

selling it, i would list it as its structural grade with a note describing the defect. let the buyer decide