• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

100 pg Giant-How bad does the glue hurt them?

6 posts in this topic

I was reading the thread with the 9.4 Marvel Superheroes #12 that had the seriously jacked up spine. Had never considered slabbing these books because I would downgrade so much for the mangled spines. In CGCs eyes are the bumps & spine issues related to this not counted at all? Heres a JLA #114, what would CGC say?

jla114.jpg

jla112b.jpg

9.2 with a solid chance of a 9.4 from cgc

If I were buying I would have no problem if this books was represented as a 9.4 from what I can see on the scans

9.4....9.2 nope......Pay attention to impact on front page, bottom left corner. The Grading Bastiche says....9.0

That's where the problem arises. If I were to grade the book the way I do a regualr staple bound comic, I agree 100%. But...I could certainly see that corner damage as done during the glue process that mangled the rest of the spine. In hand you can see how the corner pulls, creating the damage from the way it is glued at the bottom. After seeing that MSH #12, it is obvious that CGC gives a huge amount of leeway on this type book that I had never considered before.