• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

showcase 56

7 posts in this topic

what does the new OPG have this in for VG and Fine? (Sorry, I know, pathetic...but I don't have the new guide and the old one probably doesn't factor in the whole psycho pirate thing (2005 doesn't even mention it's the first SA app.), even though that has probably cooled off by now anyway

thanks, i promise, probably no more of these questions from me!

what does the new OPG have this in for VG and Fine? (Sorry, I know, pathetic...but I don't have the new guide and the old one probably doesn't factor in the whole psycho pirate thing (2005 doesn't even mention it's the first SA app.), even though that has probably cooled off by now anyway

Absolutely no change from the 2005 guide with the VG and Fine prices remaining unchanged from the 2005 Guide at $30 and $45 respectively. VF drops $3 from $107 down to $104 confused.gif while VF/NM goes up $3. Top of guide goes up $10 from $220 up to $230.

BTW: Still no mention of Pyscho Pirate at all.

893scratchchin-thumb.gifmm, well I suppose at $30 for a VG copy it's already "all its money" as the guy on Bargain Hunt says, so perhaps an upward revision made no sense because it was already too high I think IC made some HG copies of that book hot for a few minutes, but not the same sort of hysteria as for some of the BA and copper books it drove up.

thanks

Do I even bother buying one this year when they are so slow to react that this 1st SA appearance doesn't even get a mention?

hmmm, well I suppose at $30 for a VG copy it's already "all its money" as the guy on Bargain Hunt says, so perhaps an upward revision made no sense because it was already too high I think IC made some HG copies of that book hot for a few minutes, but not the same sort of hysteria as for some of the BA and copper books it drove up.

thanks

Do I even bother buying one this year when they are so slow to react that this 1st SA appearance doesn't even get a mention?

the price didnt go up due to anything happening in modern books. I dont recall the kind of groundswell of chatter that could have reached Bob ensconced in his Gemstone office clamoring for a huge jump. Showcase's (and many other DCs) have gotten their $10 bump repeatedly year after year. Overstreet has his own price list system deep in his head and hasnt varied it much over the years. Based on the starting price (last year's) it goes up almost a fixed amount once it hits price levels. In hot years it goes up more than in normal years. There are too many variables to chart it scientifically, but, suffice it to say, a book like this one at last years price usually gets a $10 bump.

Bob gave it a modest 5% raise. In a "good" year, a book in the $200+ price level would have gone up $20 (10%). In a major catch-up year (which doesnt usually happen once a non-key book gets up to this level, it would bump $30 or $40.

yeah, it's just that quarter bin fodder featuring that character was suddently going for $10-$20 a pop for a few minutes there, but OPG usually doesn't react quickly to these things (case in point, NTT #2!). i was all excited when i stumbled across a random copy of showcase 56 in my boxes, but it doesn't seem to have exploded like i hoped it had. but it's a pretty spensive books to start with, so it makes sense that it didn't explode.