• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This is great!

29 posts in this topic

I just asked the seller this:

Hey, I was looking into bidding on this item, then I read all the questions, looks like you have a lot of intrested buyers. My main question is this: It seems like this Atom is another "rare" "cuss-word on the cover" comic.

Because it says and I quote "Combat Under [embarrassing lack of self control]!"

Yes, it says [embarrassing lack of self control], perhaps I should bid, it seems like it will be sought after someday.

The only thing is, can you look throught he whole book to make sure all the pages are there? I am one of those "It can be ANY grade, so long as it's complete" type of collecotrs.

And if you remove it from the listings, i'll give you 1 million dollars right here right now. Thanks for answering!

Can';t wait for his reply. LMAO

you received a pretty good response.

"Hello and thanks for your interest in this item. And yes, I have had MANY interested potential bidders on this item, but no bids yet. Surprising... As for the word [embarrassing lack of self control] on the cover, you bring up an interesting point. After thinking about it for a minute or two, I came to the realization that this weird bindery cut is responsible for creating what has to be considered the only true Cuss Word Variant copy of this already scarce book. How cool is THAT! Maybe I can get a special notice in next year's OPG! Too late for this year, I guess. Wow! I may have the ONLY Cuss Word Variant copy of this book IN EXISTENCE! You have MADE MY DAY! And rest ASSured, I made a very diligent inspection of the interior and yes, all of the pages and the artwork are complete. The weird bindery cut only affected the margins, so the incredible GIL KANE artwork is all there for any potential buyers to read and enjoy. Even the 'Giant Submarine' ad was on the verso of the Letters to the Editor page, so even that had a minimal impact on the interior. But MAN! Now I am REALLY KICKING MYSELF for snipping that ad out! That blunder could cost me my trip to Aruba! And do I get this right? You are offering me One Million Dollars to pull the auction early just so you can have a reading copy? Look, first of all, it's against the ebay rules to pull an auction early and make an outside deal. That just wouldn't be right. So as much as I appreciate your offer, you will just have to take your best shot, take your chances and go for it like anyone else. Second of all, now that you have pointed out that this is very likely the ONLY Cuss Word Variant copy of this already unique book IN EXISTENCE, who's to say that this thing won't TOP One Million Dollars? The SKY'S THE LIMIT NOW! Thank again! You have really and truly MADE MY DAY! Aruba? Here I come! New muffler? Here I come!"

you received a pretty good response.

"Hello and thanks for your interest in this item. And yes, I have had MANY interested potential bidders on this item, but no bids yet. Surprising... As for the word [embarrassing lack of self control] on the cover, you bring up an interesting point. After thinking about it for a minute or two, I came to the realization that this weird bindery cut is responsible for creating what has to be considered the only true Cuss Word Variant copy of this already scarce book. How cool is THAT! Maybe I can get a special notice in next year's OPG! Too late for this year, I guess. Wow! I may have the ONLY Cuss Word Variant copy of this book IN EXISTENCE! You have MADE MY DAY! And rest ASSured, I made a very diligent inspection of the interior and yes, all of the pages and the artwork are complete. The weird bindery cut only affected the margins, so the incredible GIL KANE artwork is all there for any potential buyers to read and enjoy. Even the 'Giant Submarine' ad was on the verso of the Letters to the Editor page, so even that had a minimal impact on the interior. But MAN! Now I am REALLY KICKING MYSELF for snipping that ad out! That blunder could cost me my trip to Aruba! And do I get this right? You are offering me One Million Dollars to pull the auction early just so you can have a reading copy? Look, first of all, it's against the ebay rules to pull an auction early and make an outside deal. That just wouldn't be right. So as much as I appreciate your offer, you will just have to take your best shot, take your chances and go for it like anyone else. Second of all, now that you have pointed out that this is very likely the ONLY Cuss Word Variant copy of this already unique book IN EXISTENCE, who's to say that this thing won't TOP One Million Dollars? The SKY'S THE LIMIT NOW! Thank again! You have really and truly MADE MY DAY! Aruba? Here I come! New muffler? Here I come!"

yay.gifheadbang.gif

Lmao this is funny. (The whole auction in general.)

This one had me crying.

Q: I am like Are My. Could you be a CGC employee setting up buyers? I am Jango, not Jango. Would you? Careful packing utmost. Do you? My uncle actually knew the Atom. My uncle is Batman, and when they went out drinking, everybody would make Atom West jokes. My uncle has passed away, and I have been bequeathed the collection of comics my grandfarther sneetched to him. I am looking to sell them on eBay, but if you are interested... maybe a deal... The comics are on Earth X, where my uncle is doing well still. Do you hibernate? I mean, for a living? My favorie is Barney Ribble, even though he is technically not an actual 'Flintstone'. Would you? Could you? I am greatly interested in seeing a scan of the back cover of this Atom #21, for it's condition and such and all. My uncle is single on Earth X. Is your Aunt Myrtl single? Can she make safe passage to Earth X? Maybe we could be cousins. Or borthers? Don't really know where the Atom fits in.

Apr-28-06

A: Excellent Bizaro Speak Jango, not Jango! Really, nice very! I am not quite so conversant in Bizaro-Speak, but I will try to address all of your interesting queries. No, I am not a CGC employee. In fact, I find the entombment of vintage comics such as this in plastic to be a bit of a travesty. That said, I will stick by the assertion in my sub-title which states that this book CRIES OUT to be sent to either CGC or PGX. I am certain that either company will back up the GUARANTEED UNRESTORED status of this book. And yes, this book will be packed and shipped with the utmost care, I use the highest-tech packing materials only, typically shredded newspaper and old candy wrappers. Your Uncle sounds VERY interesting. But no, I do not hibernate. Come winter time, I can usually be found drinking huge vats of coffee and reading Charlton comics by the fireside. And sorry, but I have never been a big Flintstones fan (with the exception of Dino, of course). And yes, I would and I could. If you're talking green eggs and ham that is. I will try to provide you, and the greater viewing audience with a back cover scan shortly. Forst I have to make sure it's still there, so bear with me. And sorry, but Aunt Myrtyl is spoken for. She is a resident in The Charlton Zone and can often be found in the company of the good Doctor Graves. Cousins? Brothers? anything is possible I guess. 5,000 years ago the gene pool was a lot smaller than it is now. Thanks again and best regards, The Charlton Guy.

..I'm high bidder,...I'm going to send it to CGC for slabbing, full resto check including pressing ...if you notice there wasn't a press free logo on the auction,... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

EDIT: Lmao, 893applaud-thumb.gif

Guys, bad news. I emailed the seller once again. He confirmed the book has black electrical tape on the cover edges. As a friend of a guy who knows a guy, who cousin lives around the corner from an electrican, I can attest that the book is not most likey not union approved. Once that electrical tape was applied the book fell under federal union guidelines. Basically you can't touch the book if you are not a card carrying member of the electrical union.

Bidding on this book without a IBEW (union) card could be a labor law violation. The last thing you want is to win this fine book and find out you are in violation of twenty one labor laws. That's not a good thing. I asked the seller to limit the auction to only IBEW (electrival union) brothern. He has a call into his lawyer and will most likely get back to me once his attorney is sober. Until then be careful bidding.

"Don't cross the union line or suffer you shall"

That is all for now......................