• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #17 cgc 9.4 for $2600..?

41 posts in this topic

I don't think its crashing, but I see a slow decline in the multiples paid for high grade books. I would rather buy two NM- copies (and have some spare cash), than one NM book. The spread is way to wide in my opinion.

Especially if we are talking about books over $1K. Yeah, if a book guides for $30, maybe I pay $100 for a NM slabbed copy. I figure $25 is the cost of the slab so I'm only paying 2.5 times guide. On the other hand if the book guides for $750, I don't want to pay $2,200 for a NM. I would rather pay $1,000 for a NM- copy. Just the way I feel.

It use to be (and I'm only talking about 10 years ago) that the only books that sold for over $1K were either Golden-Age or the cream of Silver-Age (i.e. first appearances). Now, the first 30 issues of Spidey in NM CGC go for that.

The prices are just getting too high for books that really aren't rare. There are 3 9.6's of ASM #17 and 10 9.4's (and the book that just sold probably isn't included).

Pick almost any Golden Age book and if there is one 9.4, that's rare (except for EC's because of the Gaines file copies). I own a few books that are the highest in the census (by themselves) and not one is a NM 9.4. It's just because they are really rare in high grade.

I believe it will be hard to make a ton of money "investing" in comics over the next few years. If you "invest" in comics, you are expecting to buy a book at market value today with the idea that it will be worth significantly more in the next few years.

You can make money by buying low now. Even if the market value doesn't increase over time, because you bought low, you can make a profit. This is the difference between being a dealer and an investor. The dealer will make money on volume instead of waiting for the books market value to increase.

893blahblah.gif

10 copies for the most heavily collected back issue run in comics is chump change.

Perhaps, but the real question is: Are there 10 people out there willing (& able) to pay over $3,000 just to own one of those 10 9.4 copies? Pre-Spider-Man movie the answer would have been "Absolutely!". Now? Apparently not. Its a book that had its "time", and now its coming back from the stratosphere of outrageous prices we all saw last Spring/Summer. It will however, continue its long-term growth, if a bit more modestly.

CGc ebay prices have cooled off drastically in the last week! Hulk 6 9.0 for around $2300 and a 9.4 Hulk 102 under $500. Also saw a 9.2 Spidey 14 go for $3000 and Comgeek after several tries sold his offline for $3500. Prices way off from just a few months ago. X-men also starting to fizzle. Ewert had many great ToSuspense books the other night that did not meet reserve. Looks like a good time to buy for the next few months - but Hulk movie release will give a slight bump but don't expext it to last long. May actually finish my Marvel collection this year!

CGc ebay prices have cooled off drastically in the last week! Hulk 6 9.0 for around $2300 and a 9.4 Hulk 102 under $500. Also saw a 9.2 Spidey 14 go for $3000 and Comgeek after several tries sold his offline for $3500. Prices way off from just a few months ago. X-men also starting to fizzle. Ewert had many great ToSuspense books the other night that did not meet reserve. Looks like a good time to buy for the next few months - but Hulk movie release will give a slight bump but don't expext it to last long. May actually finish my Marvel collection this year!

chicken little where are you? goodevil.gif

Yeh I can't believe I picked up that Strange Tales 114 9.0 from Ewert for 475. There certainly has been a lack of action on a lot of books recently, I wonder if everyone spent all the money last Summer? tongue.gif

Brian

Are there 10 people out there willing (& able) to pay over $3,000 just to own one of those 10 9.4 copies?

I can come up with at least 5-6 people on these forums alone that would be more than willing to. All we see is eBay..there's all kinds of transactions that go on behind the scenes for the hotter and more pricey books.

Brian

I actually intended to get the Spidey 17 9.4 today - I bid in the last few seconds but was thinking like the other guys and only bid $2600 so I was frozen out. But an excellent price on that book as was the $3000 for the 9.2 #14.

I've noticed a trend this time of year that prices start cooling slightly. The reason being that people are starting to head out to conventions, which is where a lot of the money is being spent. Prices fluctuate wildly in the summer, with the cons and the major auction houses getting all the loot, and ebay sellers start having trouble moving books. Prices will fluctuate until September, and then start to pick up again until the end of November. Then the Christmas rush starts, and there will be tons of sellers, and less buyers because of the expenses of the holiday. It's the same cycle that I've watched for the last couple of years. Defintley not a crash, just the flow of the market.

I've noticed a trend this time of year that prices start cooling slightly. The reason being that people are starting to head out to conventions, which is where a lot of the money is being spent.

It may have been an anomoly, but Mega-Con in Orlando was a huge disappointment this year. Granted, none of the "big gun" dealers do that show, but still, the lack of any decent high grade had me scratching my head for weeks after. I couldn't find a stinking NM FF comic under issue 120 to save my life. Has anyone else been to some major national shows this year and found the same thing (as far as lack of quality high grade) or is the good stuff just as available as in years past?

It may have been an anomoly, but Mega-Con in Orlando was a huge disappointment this year.

I'm not planning to attend any cons this year, but I know a lot of people who start saving their money for the biggies like SD, from around now, so that also explains the dip in prices.

And GMAN, to answer your original post, that was definetly a good deal, especially when you consider this:

AMAZING SPIDERMAN #17 CGC 9.4

$5,100.00 MAY-07-02

Ouch...... boo.gif

[!@#%^&^]

I woulda bid, but the feedback was too low with no major comics sales, no mention of accepting credit card to help offset potential fraud, VERY low reserves...thought there was some risk so I stayed away. But I just noticed the guy lives in my home town!!! I could have gone to pick them up in person...DARNIT! Maybe he'll list more books...

It may have been an anomoly, but Mega-Con in Orlando was a huge disappointment this year.

I'm not planning to attend any cons this year, but I know a lot of people who start saving their money for the biggies like SD, from around now, so that also explains the dip in prices.

SD also coincides with the next Heritage signature auction. I know I'm saving my pennies for that (got to get that Hansi, The Girl Who Loved the Swastika CGC NM/MT 9.8) and I'm sure other people are too.